Not sure. CPS, Fuel or something - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tazzman
  • 2 Post By RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure. CPS, Fuel or something

Hello, have a question as to where to look. The other day well driving (oh - 02 F250) my truck just died at the stop light. My buddy towed me to his place, I changed out the CPS as I was not sure.. But the truck worked after the changed it. Now yesterday I was driving a some time stopped at the store. When back in truck it would not start just would crank but no start. I did try changing out CPS but with no luck this time. My buddy said to let it sit. So this morning got in truck and it fired right up. So drove it home.
Question is what should I check for?
Buddy also said sounded like I was not getting fuel, so I do have a new filter be changing in a bit

The is no engine light on

truck ran great after starting it this morning.

I do have a new CPS and a fuel filter I was going to change out, so I know those two part are new.

Just not sure why truck would not restart after been driven and then this morning starts fine and runs good.

I dont have anything to test truck with, except taking to Dealer to run a test. Hope I dont have to take to them.

02 F250 4x4 7.3 / 3.73 gear stocked Crew Cab Long bed.(260,150 miles on her) SP diesel exhaust brake and TC lock - not using the TC lock.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 F350 7.3 IDI Ex cab dually long bed(Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:45 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
This sounds like the classic IPR solenoid issue. The IPR solenoid is an electromagnet. When electromagnets start to fail, they become temperature sensitive. They will work when they are cold and then lose their grip when warm. So, with respect to this engine, the IRP sets the injection pressure for the injectors. When the IPR solenoid drops out, the pressure goes to zero and the truck dies. Will not re-start. Once the solenoid cools off, it starts right up like nothing was ever wrong until the solenoid heats up again.

You can swap the solenoid by itself without having to pull the IPR. Just take the pigtail loose, remove the tin nut, and slide the solenoid off and slide the test solenoid on. I keep a spare in my glove box just for this purpose.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:25 PM

I've also heard that that same "tin" nut can work loose, and cause the same situation. Robert I.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Morning Thanks for the help. Replaced IPR with a motorcraft. Truck is working good again. Has not died so that a good thing. got 288650 miles out of the last one.
ArcticDriver likes this.

02 F250 4x4 7.3 / 3.73 gear stocked Crew Cab Long bed.(260,150 miles on her) SP diesel exhaust brake and TC lock - not using the TC lock.

1993 F350 7.3 IDI Ex cab dually long bed(Sold)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Anybody got a pic of this and a part number? Sounds like having a spare is another good idea...

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, Bigger 66/88mm Billet Compressor wheel with ported shroud, BPV delete.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:54 PM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
Anybody got a pic of this and a part number? Sounds like having a spare is another good idea...

Motorcraft Injection Pressure Regulator 1995.5 - 2003

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Check the tin nut on the back of the IPR.

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 AM

So, it appears the IPR is an assembly of two parts..
The 'electric coil' and a plunger assembly...
Which part malfunctions ??
Can you just change out the coil, which seems easy enough to do,
rather than having to remove the plunger, and having all the HPOP oil leak out ...
I want to buy a spare to carry so I don't get stuck somewhere,
I've got 265K/mi on my 7.3, and it currently is running well, and
I just want to keep that way....

XS_SUV
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

The solenoid is typically the part that fails you and yes you can change it without removing the plunger.
I have seen the actual plunger gummed up pretty good though which can cause some running issues as well.

Gator
>|--|~

2001 F-450 4x4 XL CrewCab Flatbed (Loved this truck, sold it to a friend and he says he will never sell it!)
2000 F-350 4x4 Lariat LE CrewCab Flatbed - 325k miles all stock, needs some maintenance but still going strong! (My daily driver)
1999.5 F-350 XLT CCSB - 335k all stock (now a parts truck)
2002 F250 CCSB 4x4 previous owner threw a lot of aftermarket money at it with little gain, added a TS6 w/Gearhead tunes. (Brother's daily driver)
2001 F350 CCLB - 180k all stock (Sister in laws daily driver)
2005 Ford Expedition (Wife's daily driver)
Wife is patiently waiting for the right Diesel 4x4 Ecursion to show up....

And many other non-Ford vehicles...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM

Any chance you have a pic of where its located in engine compartment ?

2001 F-350 Lariat 4x4
CC, SRW, LB, AT
New radiator
6.0 OEM 26 row trans cooler
AIS intake
Edge Insight
Hydra with stock PHP tunes

2004 Sandpiper by Forest River - 11,000 lbs fully loaded
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 PM
RT

You betcha - get up on top of the engine, look straight down just behind the HPOP reservoir / fuel filter area and you'll see this:

Not sure. CPS, Fuel or something-ipr.jpg
69mach1377 and oilcan1001 like this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM

Silly Question ??
Supposedly if you had a situation, similar to the OP, where his engine died, or wouldn't restart, and you 'suspected' it might be that the IPR malfunctioned because it was hot, or overheated, and in the mode of failure....
Would pouring a bottle of cool water on it cause the temperature of the solenoid to drop, and allow you start the truck again ???

XS_SUV
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 AM
RT

I've never done it, but I've read where some of the guys have as a test and it seems to work for them. No reason it shouldn't work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.