The Diesel Stop banner

Not sure what to do

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  bigb 
#1 ·
I was pulling my 5th wheel this weekend going to and home from camping and when going up the hills it feels like (that feeling when you have a standard transmission and you let the clutch out to fast and it "bucks"), that's how it feels going up the hills ??? But it doesn't do it constantly ? But it was pretty consistent with doing it under load ??
I hope that makes sense...
Any thoughts ???

#2 ·
What year truck 4x4? Standard? List all your truck info so we can better help 5ou with what is going on.

#3 ·
Yeah I'm sorry I forgot....
01 F350 7.3 LB DRW ZF6
Just changed the tranny fluid with Merc V two weeks before the camping trip.
Had our family Mechanic come over because I suspected the U joints being bad, I was right. He is going to change them on Monday, I'm hoping that solves the issue

#5 ·
Check your springs make sure they are tight, springs could be getting loose. Maybe axle wrap? Does it happen right after you shift gears?
Bill

#6 ·
Any after market? any gauge? if yes how was EGT and Boost? I would look into boots leak and the fuel system.

you can build a boost leak tester like the one in the video

for the fuel system bring it up to operating temp, park and go up to 3k rpm. look if your rpm is dead steady on it moving up and down.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Do you have any mods to the engine, like chip or programer? Did you see any fluctuation in boost or was it holding steady when you felt the bucking. Do you think it could have been compressor surge or stall?
Bill

#13 ·
three things I would check:

1. Camshaft Position Sensor (cheap and easy)
2. Wiring harness that crosses over the valve cover, it often chafes and shorts out on the valve cover causing your exact symptoms. A little work but free.
3. UVCH (under valve cover harness) connector. They are known to separate slightly resulting in burnt pin connections causing the exact symptoms you are having.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.