O-Ring kit for Front Hubs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
O-Ring kit for Front Hubs

Ok, I know I've seen the part number for this front hub kit here before but can't find it now when I need it!

Hubs are in good shape, just need to replace the o-rings.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

On edit: Forgot to mention, they are the factory manual hubs, not the vacuum ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: O-Ring kit for Front Hubs

O-ring (hub/bearing assy, inside) Big yellow one
F81Z-4A322-AA $2.23

Locking Hub O-ring
F81Z-4A322-AA
$4.40 through International and about $7.00 through Ford

www.powerstrokeshop.com is a good place to shop for parts for our trucks.

Randy
1999 ( Build date 10/98 ) 1-Owner F-250 XLT PSD, XLE8 ( started out as XLE4 ), Auto Trans w/sonnax valve tricumulator springs, 4x4, manual hubs, manual shift transfer, 3.73 gears, Tymar intake, open air CCV, A-pillar 3 gauge W/Auto Meter pyro, boost, trans and axle temp in Mag-Hytec covers, Banks 4" monster exhaust, DI 4 Position Flip Chip stock-75-100-110, early 99 turbo conversion W/ ATS BB Turbo, gutted EBPV, Smitybuilt bumper guard, Lund bug deflector, Lund SS cold air grill guard, Wet Okole seat covers w/Powerstroke logo, custom made floor mats ( way better than any store bought mats )
http://community.webshots.com/user/ran440
Buy American, Keep Your Job.
Ran440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

Last time (well, really the only time) I got locking hub o-rings, they were only available as a package of two (one for testing, and one for final installation) with the clip ring that holds the hubs in.

I'll have to remember to post the part #, (don't have it on this computer). IIRC, the package was around $11 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Might be a dump question [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] why replacing the o-rings in the hubs?

I got the same year truck. I have no power in my front axle right now, I haven't had a chance to see why I have no 4 wheel drive. Also, can't turn the hubs to lock it in. Is that why replacing the o-rings. If so, seems to be a easy fix.
2000 F-250 XLT, Ext Cab, 4x4, Auto, 3.73, Triple A-pillar w/Phantom AutoMeter Gauges, ZooDad W/6637 mod, Dp Tuner-80 hp Economy, Airlift Airbags, Home made bug guard, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust, Tru-cool and Shell Leer 100LE.

1991 YJ Jeep
robf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Guys,

Ran440, you listed the same part number for both o-rings....... typo or do they both come in the kit?

RobF250, The reason for replacement is because when the hubs got a bit hard to turn, I removed the hubs and lubed them with transmission fluid. While it did loosen em up, I evidently didn't drain them well enough and the tranny fluid must have ate up the o-rings because now they are mush.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Randy (Ran440) got the part #'s from me a while back, so I'll take the hit for the duplicate numbers. I discovered the error a couple of months ago, but didn't broadcast it to everyone I'd sent my list to. I didn't remember to get the right number at home last night. Sorry.

The hub o-rings I got were the ones that seal between the hub/bearing assembly and the locking hub itself. They seal the vacuum at that interface for the auto hubs.

If it's the o-ring around the knob you're looking for, I don't have a number for that. Your best bet would be to take the disassembled hub to a plumbing shop and find one that fits.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok...... so the part number that Randy listed is for the o-ring that goes on the outside of the locking hub.

Now I just need to come up with the one that seals around the dial on the inside and I'm guessing thats the "big yellow one" that I hear discussed so frequently.

Thanks Folks!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, that part # is for the big yellow o-ring that goes behind the wheel hub/bearing assembly (where it bolts to the knuckle).

I'll put a yellow sticky note on my forehead to remind me to post the right part# for the locking hub-to-wheel hub o-ring.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry. I'll edit my parts list.

Randy
1999 ( Build date 10/98 ) 1-Owner F-250 XLT PSD, XLE8 ( started out as XLE4 ), Auto Trans w/sonnax valve tricumulator springs, 4x4, manual hubs, manual shift transfer, 3.73 gears, Tymar intake, open air CCV, A-pillar 3 gauge W/Auto Meter pyro, boost, trans and axle temp in Mag-Hytec covers, Banks 4" monster exhaust, DI 4 Position Flip Chip stock-75-100-110, early 99 turbo conversion W/ ATS BB Turbo, gutted EBPV, Smitybuilt bumper guard, Lund bug deflector, Lund SS cold air grill guard, Wet Okole seat covers w/Powerstroke logo, custom made floor mats ( way better than any store bought mats )
http://community.webshots.com/user/ran440
Buy American, Keep Your Job.
Ran440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put a yellow sticky note on my forehead to remind me to post the right part# for the locking hub-to-wheel hub o-ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, the sticky note worked. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] Here's the right # for the locking hub mounting o-ring.

Locking Hub O-ring (2) & retaining ring
4C3Z-1K106-AA

Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the part number KL!

I'll see if I can locate a source for the o-ring that seals the selector dial.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

A while back, member rocinbaja posted some great instructions on rebuilding the stock auto hubs. I'd like to add some info on sourcing the o-rings. After 325,000 mi, mine were puking the o-rings out and I don't want to pay the dealer $275ea for new hubs.

The exterior 0-ring is AS568A-152
Fractional size 3 1/4 x 3 7/16
Actual size 3.237 x 3.443
Width 3/32 (0.103)

The interior o-ring is AS568A-142 (the 143 size is ok also)
Fractional size 2 1/8 x 2 9/16
Actual size 2.362 x 2.568
Width 3/32 (0.103)

I ordered some of these in a buna-n material from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) for about $10 per pack of 50. For the Buna-n material, the McMaster nunbers are:
9452K173
9452K148

Bearings are INA #SCE248

I have extra orings, so if you need a few, drop me your address and I'll mail them.

State College, PA
Kirk Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

JKWhitaker,

You are da man!!!

I'll send you a PM!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Keep in mind this is for the factory auto (vacuum) hubs. Don't know if they are different from the manual hubs.

State College, PA
Kirk Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up......... as far as I know the only difference is the vacuum diaphram so the o-rings should work.

I hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.