Oil capacity - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil capacity

Hello all,
I am at the point of my first oil change on my newly acquired 2002 F350 Powerstroke Diesel. What is the capacity with filter change for this engine? How many quarts should I buy?

Thanks for the info.
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil capacity

I buy 4 GALLONS and use most of it. Any left over I keep in a tool box in the bed of the truck.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Sit down as you read this. The 7.3 with no mods (you can get a larger oil pan) holds 15 quarts. Yup, 1 shy of four gallons. Be sure to fill up your new filter before putting it on the truck and it holds about two quarts.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all,
I am at the point of my first oil change on my newly acquired 2002 F350 Powerstroke Diesel. What is the capacity with filter change for this engine? How many quarts should I buy?

Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]
4" MBRP, TS 6 Pos.Chip (valet,hi rev, 50, 75, 100, OMG), BTS Valve Body, AFE Stage 2 Pro Guard 7, ISSPRO Guages, 203 thermostat, AIH Delete, Wicked Wheel, Edge EZ, ball joints with grease fittings, Detroit lockers front and rear.
Thanks to DPPI, Diesel Site and Heavy's Customs

interior/exterior dressing -
JVC stereo and speakers, Ranch Hand brush guard, TSC over the rail tool box, HiJacker 5th Wheel Hitch, Tekonsha Voyager, Down Underseat-Holding Apparatus

WARNING - Poweraid 400-595 is junk (my experience)
Soon - BTS Transmission and Torque Convertor, mud flaps
drainman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

15qts.

Wells
mtnbkr132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

16 quarts with oil filter and u will be good to go
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
TYMAR Intake
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
496 hp 985 tq!! 16 Apr 11
13.74 sec in 1/4 mile @ 98.5mph
PNWFDE#2
Diezel Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
16 quarts with oil filter and u will be good to go

[/ QUOTE ]

And you'll be one quart overfull.

I buy 4 gallons, and be sure the engine is warm before I begin.

First step is to pour one quart into a clean empty quart oil container, then seal up that one quart and put it back until around the 4,000-mile point, when mine usually needs that one more quart.

Second step is to turn the new oil filter in the box so the hole is looking up. Then fill the filter full of new oil - almost two quarts. Keeping the new filter in the box until just before you're ready to screw it on helps prevent uh-ohs!

Next, loosen the oil filter to be certain it will come off.

Next I use a long skinny flat-tip screwdriver and a claw hammer and punch a small hole in the bottom of the old oil filter. Take a break while the filter drains. Then remove the old filter and screw on the new filter.

Be sure your drain pan will hold almost 4 gallons of used oil. A 5-gallon bucket works for me.

Then pull the drain plug (or rotate your Fumoto drain valve) and let it drain. Collect a mid-stream oil sample of about two ounces to send to Blackstone Oil Analysis. Take a long break and let it drain really, really good.

Then install the drain plug (or close the Fumoto valve), and fill it up with what remains in the 4 gallon jugs of new oil.

Clean up your mess, properly recycle the old oil, and celebrate.

I did mine Sunday morning. That's about the 30th oil change on Sierra Blanca, and she's still runnin' strong. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

An if you don't already have a Fumoto oil-drain valve, get one before your next oil change. http://www.fumotovalve.com/

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just changed mine 2 days ago [only 10th. time for me]. It always takes 15 qts. to fill it.
Ed
2003f350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I cheat and use 14 quarts, so I have the left over half gallon for the next oil change.
bigblue250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.