Oil Leak 2002 7.3L powerstroke f250 4x4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak 2002 7.3L powerstroke f250 4x4

I have a bad oil leak on my 2002 Power Stroke F250.... I cleaned the bottom of the engine and transmission and started my truck up and layed underneith and watched for leaks for 20 min.

It wasn't till I drove my truck 1/2 mile and looked again that oil started leaking...A LOT!!!

The oil appeared to be leaking from the back of the motor above the starter and down the back of the oil pan on the drivers side. Then I noticed Alot of oil leaking out of a vent hole, half way back, on the bottom of the MANUAL transmission.

Is this a rear main seal?! I can't imagine that it is not.
freddie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
That is a drain for the intake valley. You need to get on top of the motor and look close under all the wires and stuff. Most likely it is coming from the area under the HPOP up front and running down the valley and out the back. Use mirrors and a good flashlight.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

AE scanner in the Inland Empire Sunny So Cal.

Autoenginuity

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
What mtnsammy said.

The fact that you didn't see much laying underneath with it idling points to an HPOP system leak. The pressure isn't that high when idling, but when you're under way it increases by 3-4 times, which makes a leak that much more severe.

Common spots are the fittings on the driver's side of the HPOP. Follow the hoses from the middle of each head forward to the HPOP and you'll probably find your leak. Another possibility is the plug on the back of the HPOP just to the rear of those hose fittings, and less likely is a plug on the bottom of the HPOP.

You can get an o-ring kit from dieselorings.com to fix all of that. There's some good info there as well on repairing those leaks.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.