oil leak from dipstick tube at oil pan - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak from dipstick tube at oil pan

at first I thought the spot on the drive were from the oil filter being loose again. upon closer inspection it's actually coming from the pan at the place where the dipstick tube leaves the pan.

looks like a big NUT and it is loose to the touch

can you just tighten this up like its threaded into the pan or does the pan have to come off?

I'm going to go hit it with a power washer and then check back here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: oil leak from dipstick tube at oil pan

If the big nut is loose, then yes tighten it fairly snugg then check for leaks.
01 F350 CC Dually: DPS stage III 360cc hybrids, Stealth Big Oil, DPS fuel system, H2 hybrid turbo, Hypermax conn. rods, balanced rotating assembly, DPS 4 pos., head studs, Cometic head gaskets, Comp Cams springs and push rods, ATS trans w/Maghytec pan, BD Torq Loc, Transcommand, Snow Stage II
789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

i tightened it and I think the leak got worse
is there a gasket to O-ring to contend with?

it is right handed threads correct?

I will try to remove it then reinstall checking for fitment and gaskets
thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

straightened removed and retightened

still leaking

help!!!!

how can I replace the entire assembly
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

The only way to tighten it is to hold the other piece from guess where. Thats right, inside the pan.

Clean it up REAL good and apply some RTV.
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1), Onboard Air!, 29" Hadley Air Horns!
rlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

theres a few guys who have been able to replace the o ring without pulling the pan its a bit tricky but a lot better than yanking the motor to fix it hopefully one of them will chime on for you since im drawing a blank at the moment
96 f-350 2wd dually powerstroke roach coach 365k BTS tranny,4.10, XLT,alcoa alloys,tymar intake,western diesel downpipe, a/c bypass mod,coolant filter behind front bumper, beans stage 1's,dp tuner 60hp pcm, hx hardline crossover from ITP......

01 f-350 dually powerstroke lariat supercab 61k 4.10 4x4 ESOF, leather, heated seats all the toys i dont need, 4r100,garret ball bearing turbo,tymar intake, ccv redirected out under the truck,magnaflow 4inch tuner exhaust, a/c bypass mod,zoodad mod,autometer cobalt pyro boost and tranny,dp tuner 4program chip,ITP complete regulated return fuel kit,ITP hx crossover hard line,203 t-stat and dieselsite billet t-stat neck, coolant filter,dieselsite high pressure intercooler boots

2009 F-450 dually 6.4 auto 4.30 2wd XLT power pedals,aux cab heater, dual alternators,bostonian catering body,stock everything for now......things to change soon
chris bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mine was leaking and I got lucky the first time and tightened the nut and it quit leaking. On this engine in it now I couldn't get it to stop, so I cleaned the entire area with carb cleaner and coated the seams with grey RTV sealant.
01 F350 CC Dually: DPS stage III 360cc hybrids, Stealth Big Oil, DPS fuel system, H2 hybrid turbo, Hypermax conn. rods, balanced rotating assembly, DPS 4 pos., head studs, Cometic head gaskets, Comp Cams springs and push rods, ATS trans w/Maghytec pan, BD Torq Loc, Transcommand, Snow Stage II
Old 05-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

the threads were shot I had a shop change out this engine about a year ago and the new engine had a bent up dipstick tube because of how it sat on the crate pallet so they install this one from my old engine.... well

the truck is at a shop not a ford dealer who wanted 50 to 60 bucks to diaignose the problem just to start.... I told the numb skull i didnt need a diagignosis just a R&R of the oil pan

anyhow it's going ot cost $960.00 to fix her up again, they want to pull the engine all the way out..... anything else a fella should do while he is in there?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

If all they are going to do is pull the engine and drop the oil pan, besides checking things out, there is not much else you can do.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
kip

Its covered under warrenty till 100,000 miles. Ford fixed mine at 99,990 miles. After they did I cleaned good and sealed the nut with silacone.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was thinking of mods upgrade or general maintaince
Old 05-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

since this is my second engine and the truck has 175k miles on it the warrenty is long gone the shop did discover the source of my exhaust leak I thought the up pipes were leaking but its the manifold to head gasket that has blown. so it is getting fixed as well.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNLaRue View Post
the threads were shot I had a shop change out this engine about a year ago and the new engine had a bent up dipstick tube because of how it sat on the crate pallet so they install this one from my old engine.... well

the truck is at a shop not a ford dealer who wanted 50 to 60 bucks to diaignose the problem just to start.... I told the numb skull i didnt need a diagignosis just a R&R of the oil pan

anyhow it's going ot cost $960.00 to fix her up again, they want to pull the engine all the way out..... anything else a fella should do while he is in there?
here is the cheapest and easiest way to fix it .... yes i know it's another place but it works

Oil leak at dipstick tube flange fixed -with pics! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

have fun!
netpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just got my truck back from the Ford dealer yesterday from having the dip stick leak fixed a second time. Good thing the first dealer had a one year warrenty on his work. I was at 360 days and didn't have to pay another $1,500 to have the engine pulled. Both dealers were interested in the easy fix but said they had to do it by the book. All I had to pay for was the non-approved red ELC.
2000 White F550 PSD CC, Cabriolet Body, Firestone Air-Ride Suspension, 33.8G Aux Fuel Tank, 3 Pod A-Pillar gauges. TTT mirrors, US Gear D-Celerator, Pre-Pump/In-Tank Mod with Racor 645R30, 203 T-Stat/Bullet Housing, Fleetrite ELC w/filter, SunCoast Tranny w/3 disk TC, Mag-Hytec tran pan, and 6.0 Tran cooler, AIS Air Filter, AIH Plug, CCV Mod, SS HPX, Zoo-Dad, Trailer Saver II Air Suspension Hitch, Brake Smart Controller. Towing a HitchHiker 35.5' LKTG Premier at 16,360#.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNLaRue View Post
since this is my second engine and the truck has 175k miles on it the warrenty is long gone the shop did discover the source of my exhaust leak I thought the up pipes were leaking but its the manifold to head gasket that has blown. so it is getting fixed as well.
Hmmmmmm......I'm glad someone dug this thread up from years past. I'm going to replace the up-pipes, but the passenger side of my engine compartment gets really hot (much hotter than the driver's side). Now I'm wondering if it has the same manifold gasket issue as this? Anybody know how easy or tough it is to remove and replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.