oil leak , how much to fix - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak , how much to fix

hi all , i am no mechanic so i hope someone can tell me how much this is going to cost me . i've got an oil leak at the front of the engine by the hpop i believe it's called ( the square looking box by the fuel filter) and also by the turbo ( the thing at the back ) . it's got oil directly under these spots in the valley . i've read that the most likely causes are the turbo pedestal and hpop o-rings ? now how much am i going to pay the dealer to fix this ? i'd rather pass out now than in front of a group of people , lol! thanks . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to 96Cobra
Re: oil leak , how much to fix

I realize you said that you are no mechanic, but this job isn't hard at all. If it is one of the HPO lines and it is leaking at the HPOP, there is an o-ring kit you can buy from the dealer for $25. Its an easy job to do, even without the oil line removal tool. You will need a stubby wrench (I made my own with a hacksaw! lol) to get in there without removing the oil lines. I've never had to fix a turbo pedestal leak (yet), but I know others have done it many times.

Roger
2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)

[ QUOTE ]
hi all , i am no mechanic so i hope someone can tell me how much this is going to cost me . i've got an oil leak at the front of the engine by the hpop i believe it's called ( the square looking box by the fuel filter) and also by the turbo ( the thing at the back ) . it's got oil directly under these spots in the valley . i've read that the most likely causes are the turbo pedestal and hpop o-rings ? now how much am i going to pay the dealer to fix this ? i'd rather pass out now than in front of a group of people , lol! thanks . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't feel like tackling it yourself, it may cost you an arm and a leg at the dealer. Or, it may cost you $100.

Depending on how many miles and how old your truck is, it may be covered under Warranty. The engine (including oil leaks) is covered for 100,000 miles or 5 yrs from the date first sold. The deductible for the warranty is $100.

If you're outside the warranty, then [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cost me a little over 300 bucks, at a non-dealer mechanic, if that gives you an idea.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

it cost me $180.00 at a ford dealership. I will do it myself next time....
glust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is there a cheaper place to get the o-ring kit? I hate spending that much on a couple o-rings. The stealership hit for $12 for 2 rings seals when i did the water pump. They ended up coming with the new thermostat and housing so I took them back right away.
Late '99, F-250 7.3L, PSD, Super Duty, AT, 4X4, Crew Cab, 235 Mich tires, MBRP 4" Exhaust, 4-setting DP-Tuner (set for +80hp Econ mode), K&N Filter and Intake Tube, 203 thermostat, coolant filter, A-Pillar Isspro gauge set (pyro pre-turbo, trans temp, boost), Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, 6.0L tranny cooler, BTS valve body, rebuilt trans at 196K mi, bilstein shocks, Chevron Delo 400 10-40w, Zoodad mod, late model cup holder.

No time left for Drinking.
jdkluge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have had the two o rings under the fittings that go into the head for the HPOP oil lines leak on me 3 times. I have had them repaired at shops because of time available, I am going to do these myself.
I am also thinking the special hose end fittings need to go and be replaced with JIC fittings. Then they will not leak.
99.5 F250SD 6 speed Ext Cab Long Bed/Custom Grille/ Hood/ DPPI 4"down w/dual tips/AFE II/ Evans Coolant w filter& 203 Deg. thermostat/ARE bed Cap/Centerline Tracker 9 x 16 w Michelin 265/70/16 /Brite Box/ Gear Vendor OD/Line X bed Liner/ATS Turbo Housing/Velvet ride Shackles/X Monitor EGT & Boost/ TS 4 position chip/Air Dog/ DI Fuel Tank sump/DI High Perf. fuel delivery system/DI External fuel regulator bypass kit/ Centramatic wheel balancers/05 Headlights
MrBee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.