Oil Leak from intercooler hose - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak from intercooler hose

I have oil leaking from the intercooler hose where it connects to the intercooler on the passenger side. What is my problem and how do I correct? Thanks.

2000 F250 CC LWB, PSD/Auto, AIC, Edge Insight CTS, 4.10 w/Detroit TrueTrac, 6.0L 31 row Trans Cooler

SOLD - 2000 Excursion Limited 2x4, PSD/Auto, ATS turbo shroud, 4" exhaust, HX crossover, ISSPRO gauges/A-Pillar, Pre-Pump & In-Tank Mod, Banks TransCommand, ZooDad, Baldwin Oil ByPass, AIC, F350 rear springs, Helwig Rear Sway Bar

1983 Avion 34V - 35' travel trailer,
Hensley Arrow No Sway Hitch
texaspsdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
oil is intorduced to the intercooler system via your ccv(crankcase vent)so oil is not circulated through(like a oil cooler line would)the intercooler system.but because the ccv system feeds into this oil accumulates in variuos places.if you have a leak i would suspest you either have a loose boot or a boot with a hole in it.you should be able to purchase new boots and install them to correct the problem.but verify it is coming from the boot.not a cracked line or the intercooler itself.
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I disagree that new boots are the answer. If you have excess oil in the system (as I had) it will get through - even new boots. I installed a CCV catch can and that solved most of the problem - at least until the residual oil leaked out of the IC hoses.
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

i didnt say new boots will fix it i was explaining that oil builds up in the intercooler system,but being oil is petroleum it will soften rubber boots and potentialy lead to failure.
red elc good for 150k
4" exhaust no muff
Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you need new boots go here Diesel Power Products | OH150 | 99-03 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L Hose Kit

If the boots are not soft or spongy from the oil, wash them with soap and water use Dawn dish water soap. Dry them off good. Spray the metal tube ends and the turbo ends with hair spray and slip the boots back on, DO NOT over tighten the clamps, tighten just so they do not squeeze into the boot, the hair spray will sort of glue them.

The oil in the intercooler tubes is natural, lots of mods have been tried .
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoocharlie View Post
i didnt say new boots will fix it i was explaining that oil builds up in the intercooler system,but being oil is petroleum it will soften rubber boots and potentialy lead to failure.
Actually, what you said was, "you should be able to purchase new boots and install them to correct the problem." To me that sounded like new boots are the answer, sorry if I misinterpreted. In my limited experience (just with my own truck - and almost 10 yrs of watching and reading on this site), new boots certainly was NOT the answer.

You can see an old post of mine Oil in valley - from intake boots? after CCV mod.
I never followed up with the conclusion to this issue, but it was indeed residual oil in the intercooler (at least I presume), b/c it eventually stopped leaking from the boots.

These are the boots I used on my truck - 1999.5-2003 7.3L DIESELSITE Engine Boot Kit (After 12/1/98)

So anyhow, if you have oil coming from the boots, my advice to do the CCV mod. That said, it seems some trucks simply have MORE oil going through those boots than others. For many people simply removing the boots, cleaning them inside and out really well and reinstalling is good enough for another 50k. For me cleaning them worked for a few thousand miles. For me installing new aftermarket "oil proof" boots was good for a little longer. I guess my truck has enough blow by that the CCV mod was only answer.

I suspect had I done the CCV mod first, I would have been able to save the money on aftermarket boots and kept the originals. I fell for the advice that new boots would solve the problem. My advice is if you have a lot of oil coming from the boots you should do the following:

1. Remove and thouroughly clean the IC boots, then watch for oil.

2. IF in a few months the oil has returned, do the CCV mod.

(All this assumes you do not have an oil leak from some other source!

Good luck.
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack

Last edited by jgarden; 03-01-2009 at 09:11 AM.
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
Actually, what you said was, "you should be able to purchase new boots and install them to correct the problem." To me that sounded like new boots are the answer, sorry if I misinterpreted. In my limited experience (just with my own truck - and almost 10 yrs of watching and reading on this site), new boots certainly was NOT the answer.

You can see an old post of mine Oil in valley - from intake boots? after CCV mod.
I never followed up with the conclusion to this issue, but it was indeed residual oil in the intercooler (at least I presume), b/c it eventually stopped leaking from the boots.

These are the boots I used on my truck - 1999.5-2003 7.3L DIESELSITE Engine Boot Kit (After 12/1/98)

So anyhow, if you have oil coming from the boots, my advice to do the CCV mod. That said, it seems some trucks simply have MORE oil going through those boots than others. For many people simply removing the boots, cleaning them inside and out really well and reinstalling is good enough for another 50k. For me cleaning them worked for a few thousand miles. For me installing new aftermarket "oil proof" boots was good for a little longer. I guess my truck has enough blow by that the CCV mod was only answer.

I suspect had I done the CCV mod first, I would have been able to save the money on aftermarket boots and kept the originals. I fell for the advice that new boots would solve the problem. My advice is if you have a lot of oil coming from the boots you should do the following:

1. Remove and thouroughly clean the IC boots, then watch for oil.

2. IF in a few months the oil has returned, do the CCV mod.

(All this assumes you do not have an oil leak from some other source!

Good luck.
it actually says if you have a loose boot or one with a HOLE in it,you can correct it with new boots.i was just saying if you have a damaged boot its an easy fix.
red elc good for 150k
4" exhaust no muff
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine intercooler boots were leaking and this worked for me - remove the boots and clean them and the surfaces they mount real well. Spray the contacting surfaces with hair spray - this will give it a tacky surface to keep it from leaking, but won't prevent you from removing it later. Reassemble and you're done. Mine haven't leaked since.
2001 X, PSD, 7" DR lift, 37" PJ Dirt Grips, Procomp Extreme Alloy wheels, 4.56 gears, Dynatrac Free-spin hub system, Diablo Predator , Banks 4" exhaust with Power Elbow, Kodiak Sidewinder steps, Autometer guages.
VX23Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.