Oil Pan Rust Out - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pan Rust Out

Gentlemen,

Just noticed that the oil pan on our F550 has sprung a leak due to rust out. I did a search on the forum but only found one thread (I must not be doing something right). However, we need guidance. Is there a simplier way to replace the pan or do I give in and have the dealer do it for $2000.00? My time is limited and although I did pull a number of engines in my youth, never did I pull something the size and weight of a 7.3.

In advance, thank you for your help.

Mark
markfothe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: Oil Pan Rust Out

I too have seen many posts about the oil pan rusting. I have luckily not had this problem (I live in So Cal). I have read some stuff about people using JB Weld, but I suspect that is very temporary fix. If it is rusted in one spot it is probably close in others as well. I think you gotta change the pan, and from what I have read the CORRECT way to do it is to pull the engine....then install new pan with engine upside down on a stand and let set overnight.

Are rusted out oil pans a common problem on other vehicles? Seems absolutely ridiculous to have an engine that can last 500k miles, but you have to change out the oil pan every few years, at the cost of a complete engine removal!!!
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Seems to be a common problem. Mine was replaced in 2002 at 84k. Thankfully it was under warranty and only cost the $100 deductible. Dealer was nice enough to install my LUK clutch that I supplied for free since it was apart.

Ever since, I check for surface rust and if I see any I clean to bare metal and apply POR15. Hoping this will keep me from spending the big bucks to have it done again.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeometryTeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen,

Just noticed that the oil pan on our F550 has sprung a leak due to rust out. I did a search on the forum but only found one thread (I must not be doing something right). However, we need guidance. Is there a simplier way to replace the pan or do I give in and have the dealer do it for $2000.00? My time is limited and although I did pull a number of engines in my youth, never did I pull something the size and weight of a 7.3.

In advance, thank you for your help.

Mark </div></div>

Seeing that you are from CT I got a guy In Naugatuck that is a Master Diesel Tech at a very large dealer and does all my work on the side.You oil pan job would be about 1/2 that.Pm me if you need contact info.

97 F-350 XLT 4X4 7.3 PSD,99K AUTO ,REG CAB,GREEN,NOT STOCK

96 F-250 XLT 4X4 7.3 PSD 220K AUTO REG CAB,BLACK,BONE STOCK EXCEPT FOR A NEW CAR SCENT AIR FRESHENER.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Dzlpwr

diesel97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you. PM was sent.
Mark
markfothe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

This just happened to the mac tool guy that comes to my work he got me a part number to this stuff call elastosil or something like that comes in a tube of caulk the part # is 1830856c1 he said it goes on real think and cures really fast. I guess you just grind your pan and apply it. don't know where he got it from but he said they use it on the municipal vehicles. not sure how well it works (he claims its awesome) just my .02 don't know if it will help. he said he used jb weld on his other powerstroke and it failed right away. this stuff has lasted a while so far.

randy
fastassf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

So why do these pans rust out?

Does this happen to all cars in snow country?
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
So why do these pans rust out?

Does this happen to all cars in snow country?
Afraid so. I caught mine in time and its coated with POR-15.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
Afraid so. I caught mine in time and its coated with POR-15.
Jim

What I mean is does it happen to vehicles other than the superduties? Or is this a problem exclusive to the 7.3s?

Jack
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
I've heard good things about the POR-15. Try that or the Mac part # 1830856c1 before you spend the $2,000 on a new pan. My pan is still painted black with no rust and the roads are salted.(120,000) Maybe a different coating process.??
'02 Black F350srw,Lariat,CC,SB,OR. - BTS TRANS,Coated 1.00 BB TN-non EBP-6.0 Spearco IC-DP Tunes(stock,HI,60T,80E,120R)MAP maximizer-ITP reg ret.-AirDog-Fluidampr-BWD coated/ bellowed pipes-AFE2-4" Magnaflow-Dieselsite coolant filter&ESOF SS lines-Billet/203*stat-Fleetrite ELC-Bilsteins-Hawks&Cryo's-Centramatic-Billet-Extang-Husky box-Husky Liner-EGR-LineX-Alpine-Kicker-PIAA-Dynamat-Sirius-Viper-ES Poly's-BFG 315/75/16 AT's-DTS 4.56LS-31 row 6.0 Cooler-UltraLite trans,pyro,boost-DiPricol fuel-PML pan-Mag-Hytec cover-Powerslot-Hawk. Marinco,Snowman,Harpoon,AIH,CCV,foil,door ding,console mods. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557543120DKiWId
High PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Anyone know where I can get the goop? Mine is well past the "keep it from rusting with POR-15" stage, approaching the "she's gonna blow!" stage...

Have to pull the engine to do the oil pan?? Who's bright engineering idea was THAT? Any chance anyone's given it a shot without pulling the engine?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have read about one guy here that did it but I think it was more work than pulling it. Someone has been saying they were going to invent a 2 piece unit but I haven't seen it yet.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
What I mean is does it happen to vehicles other than the superduties? Or is this a problem exclusive to the 7.3s?
Yes, I have a friend that had it happen to a early 90s Grand Marque. He put a fiber glass patch on it and held for long enough to get himself a new car. Don't know if it ever did fail. ???
Jim
Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
My experience with epoxy and bonding agents leads me to believe that with good prep on the pan,a patch will last a long time. Just be patient and let the pan drain for the entire day so the oil doesn't contaminate the patch.
'02 Black F350srw,Lariat,CC,SB,OR. - BTS TRANS,Coated 1.00 BB TN-non EBP-6.0 Spearco IC-DP Tunes(stock,HI,60T,80E,120R)MAP maximizer-ITP reg ret.-AirDog-Fluidampr-BWD coated/ bellowed pipes-AFE2-4" Magnaflow-Dieselsite coolant filter&ESOF SS lines-Billet/203*stat-Fleetrite ELC-Bilsteins-Hawks&Cryo's-Centramatic-Billet-Extang-Husky box-Husky Liner-EGR-LineX-Alpine-Kicker-PIAA-Dynamat-Sirius-Viper-ES Poly's-BFG 315/75/16 AT's-DTS 4.56LS-31 row 6.0 Cooler-UltraLite trans,pyro,boost-DiPricol fuel-PML pan-Mag-Hytec cover-Powerslot-Hawk. Marinco,Snowman,Harpoon,AIH,CCV,foil,door ding,console mods. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557543120DKiWId
High PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

My 2002 F350 with at the time 62000 started to show signs of rust on the oil pan. I saw a Ford TSB which mentioned the Ford Anti-Corrisive #PM13 which was about $22.00 at Ford Dealer if memory serves me right. I followed the instructions (sanded oil pan, wiped down with rag, brushed on the PM13 about 5 coats stuff goes a long way plenty left over, let dry overnight oil pan looks brand new to me. The coating reminds me of the texture of a spray in bed liner.

bot
blueoneton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.