oil question....delo or delvac..... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil question....delo or delvac.....

was gonna make the switch today from rotella and was at the counter at advance with 4 gal of delo 400....saw a lady getting oil for her husbands big rig and she was getting delvac 1300, million mile oil.....got confused then...dont take much....i saw a post on here a few weeks ago with a few guys switching from rotella ,to what i think was delo 400, with some positive reviews....which oil do most run, that dont run rotella ?? the delo said something about having syn properties ?? what oil were they talking about ?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: oil question....delo or delvac.....

btw it said low sulfur fuel compatable or formula on the delo 400......????
Old 10-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/powers~1.htm This the definitive page for Powerstroke oil coolant etc.

I run the Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 because they have it at Costco. No problems> The guy before me ran Rotella.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

tx 4 the quick reply and info..........
Old 10-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I doubt if there is a substantial difference for your area. I used Delvac one winter for easier starting, but there are no other advantages that I could feel or measure. I just switched to Rotella synthetic for the winter here again. Normally, I use any major brand that Wallyworld sells. Costco here doesn't sell Delvac, and I paid $90 for 4 gallons at the Exxon/Mobil distributor.
4 gals of Rotella was $67 at Wallyworld.
I am not a fan of extended mileage oil changes. Nor am I a fan of cheap oil filters.
On edit, the "syn" properties that Delo lists on the case is a spec and is not saying that it is in any way synthetic.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

delvac
Old 10-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
SyN

Both brands of oil are excellent.

It all depends on your maintance habits, and driving habits.
Take care of it! It will take care of You!
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}-Bilstien Shoxs
Marinco Heater Plug-B&W Companion 5thWheel Hitch-PML differential Covers
-------------------------------------------------------------
Oil------------>T6 w/Amsoil Filter & Lg Magnet
Amsoil--------> Everywhere Else
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
was gonna make the switch today from rotella and was at the counter at advance with 4 gal of delo 400....saw a lady getting oil for her husbands big rig and she was getting delvac 1300, million mile oil.....got confused then...dont take much....i saw a post on here a few weeks ago with a few guys switching from rotella ,to what i think was delo 400, with some positive reviews....which oil do most run, that dont run rotella ?? the delo said something about having syn properties ?? what oil were they talking about ?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] thanks....

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Delvac and Delo400 are good oils, I do think DELO is slightly superior though. BTW, I have a Big Rig myself and it has used DELO most of it's life. Almost 1.2 million miles on the Cummins N14 in it. That definately makes DELO a million mile oil. In fact, DELO is the first oil to OFFICIALLY be documented to get a heavy duty engine to over a million miles before overhaul. Delvac, just uses the "million mile oil" as a marketing catch phrase as all the major oil brands have brought engines past this magical milage point. Anyway, I recommend the Delo.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I like the Chevron Delo.
Rockin S Performance BTS dealer
good-times.webshots.com/photo/2120855500037306169oDlfMF Well did you touch it?
Soaggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Delvac.

Costco here doesn't sell Delvac, and I paid $90 for 4 gallons at the Exxon/Mobil distributor.

$22.50/gal for Delvac? I pay $7.60 and thought that was getting too high

Iwouldn't give $16.75 for Rotella either
JMhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Delvac.

Costco here doesn't sell Delvac, and I paid $90 for 4 gallons at the Exxon/Mobil distributor.

$22.50/gal for Delvac? I pay $7.60 and thought that was getting too high

Iwouldn't give $16.75 for Rotella either

[/ QUOTE ].......surely thats a typo or something....4 gal of delo at advance, AND a motorcraft oil filter was 45 bucks today, out the door..........
Old 10-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yup, all 3 of those brands are ~$8.00 a gallon at Autozone or Kragen.(?)
Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ouch!! Delo went up to &gt;$9.50 a gallon at WalMart compared to around $7.50 for Rotella. Looks like I'll be switching oils before long. I'll have to see what Costco is selling the 6 gal pack of Delo for these days. It was $45 that last time I bought. Any idea why Delo has shot up on price besides Chevron trying to dig that last piece of flesh out of us because fuel prices are dropping?

Larry
02 F250XLT SD CC LB 4X4, Silver, SD Air Lifts, 4R100, Westin Sportsman grill/brushguard, Leer Shell, AIS Severe Duty w/added fender intake, Edge EVO running 80 HP, ISSPRO's w/cubby mount, Rancho 9000X's, Banks 3 1/2" downpipe, BTM, 3 1/2" exhaust front to rear with 5" stainless tip. Sonnex and Tricum's. Fumoto Valve. Royal Purple ATF. Tru-Cool 4590. Tekonisha Prodigy. SP Diesel SSEBTC Exhaust Brake. Like new 88 Vacationeer 11.4' or 2008 Cardinal 31SB, 1992 Bayliner Trophy and the itch to go, baited hooks and the need to fish, loaded guns and the need to hunt.
Larry P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

You guys should do a search on motor oils. Some very interesting results. Naturally expensive brands like Shaeffers {misspelled} and Amsoil faired quite better, however Delvac won out in several tests. I started out running Rotella. After research, I went to Delvac rather quickly. I work at Freightliner here in Joplin, Mo and I give $6.00 per gallon for the Delvac and we stock Donaldson and Luberfiner filters. Of course our next batch we order in may have gone up. What hasn't [ including Exxon-Mobile's quartly profits thanks to all of us suckers, huh? ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.