The Diesel Stop banner

What Have You Done OK To Your 7.3L Lately?

7K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  DonWarkentin 
#1 ·
Everybody keeping up on things? Done or seen anything new?

#2 ·
I had to put four new tires on. That's the 4th set in 225,000 miles! Getting expensive to keep her on the road.

#4 ·
Well since the truck is coming up on 18 yrs old and only 150,000 miles I decided to change out the HPOP lines, GPR, and fuel bowl heater(still had OEM old style), all were still good but I figured some pm is a good thing.

#5 ·
Havent done it yet, but I have to replace the ball joints before the next inspection.

#6 · (Edited)
Changed the oil.

New needle bearings

#9 · (Edited)
Chained the oil, used delo 5w-40.

Did needle bearing skittle over a month ago.

Nick did you get your truck back yet?
Sneak preview before its sweet sixteen thread. Still needs to go back to body shop..wrong 4x4 color..supposed to be beige to match leather interior., XL badge.... It's a Lariat. Did not paint sill panels inside truck..no Bueno. Can still see a couple hail dings when looking in driver's side side mirror. Swirls from buffing,,,, couple pits in paint in tiny section by door. $700 for used tailgate via member of diesel community...arrived dinged small bend at bottom of tailgate,, fix ( missed two tiny dimples), paint$200 new lock $60, replace torn up top cap. Was supposed to be a rust free( it was) new body take off ( it was a " take off " I'm sure.....but not a " new " truck:sick:. Supposed to rekeying it.. They did Not. Go back frazzled during day before trip to Ocean after discovering it. Nick," no we used your old cylinder"... Oh Ok .. Into parts, give me a cylinder. Ok.. Key it to ignition key.. Can't guy who did that is not here anymore.. Off to locksmith on Friday at 4:30 on my knees begging so my tailgate does not get stolen at beach..$40.
Go down hall ok.. When are you going to finish this $22k 4 month nightmare.. Nick Nick it's our end of month.. Greg I will loose it.. I'm tellin you right now if I here you actually tell me to my face your freakin lay pay gets my truck slow rolled one more time. Have a safe trip Nick. Love the antisieze hand and finger outline on my door handle GREG! Pretty disrespectful.. Let's add that to your we are slow rolling you because it's our end of month and you are getting the Mercury up pretty high pal! Have a safe trip. Greg these diamond plate caps you put on are junk and here is the part numbers for the correct top caps for bed side tops. It's a freakin Lariat GREG I want my badges. You know somewhere I gave pictures of what was in it. Greg don't make me flippin take you outside and show you the inside of that truck and then point to the words " Lariat " plastered across my seats...they are here somewhere...Greg you have topped out the thermometer get my.....
Next day... It's for you it's ABC dealership. Deep deep breath.. Yes Greg.. We are going to have to open a new cash ticket for these caps man.. Have you list your mind? 32yrs ago when I started in this business I had; full head of brown hair and a good Catholic.. Now I'm stressed, balding and cussing. In four months of your action I've almost added assault conviction. GREG you don't tell a customer the parts are obsolete and we must put this " stuff " on,, have your $22k body and paint customer, average $4-$5 k a month parts customer, have customer tell you GREG Autonation is telling me these are the part numbers and 65 are sitting ten miles away at the hub, get them , call the customer and say you are going to have to open a new cash ticket. GREG I'm Going back to work.. Let me know when you have your act together, oh and GREG.. It was priceless hearing you say, " we usually don't F them up like that when showing you the door handle and other stuff that we have yet to " map " out. It should not be a punch list as long as a contractor that just built a new building GREG.. CLICK.. Would have been a slam if not a d...iPhone.
He called at 4:45 today but just couldn't do it,. I was not strong enough to deal with that guy without loosing it.
So it continues.
Then off to leather shop.

Attachments

#8 ·
Fuel heater? What's that?

Did this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Thanks.
I should be home in a month or so, and things should slow down then. Well, and I'll have my brothers truck to drive around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I purchased the sonomax triplex? trans kit, orings & boots for the turbo and pedestal (leaks), hpop orings & plug (big leak), oil pan (leaks). Still working on service body to replace bed. Installed all new doors on the bed. Need to order new doors OR repair parts for the door bottoms and cab corners. Going to order cnc oil lines, battery cables with good lugs and pedastal delete.

When I remove old bed, remove rust / repaint frame.

Probably more that I will find when I tear it apart.

Truck runs great... Stock with lots of power. Not bad for an insurance total I purchased in 2003.

#17 ·
These things certainly have a tendency for rotting huh? Good luck panhead , sounds like a huge project.

#18 ·
Ya my bed rails are rotten and I live in a dry climate lol

#20 ·
New set of Michelin tires, changed transmission fluid & filter using 18 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic fluid, changed rear differential fluid using Royal Purple synthetic fluid, new Bilstein shocks, and changed coolant using International ELC coolant. Changed Ford Severe Duty AIS filter. And best of all, purchased DP-Tuner Infinity with 60HP Tow & 80HP city/highway tunes.

#21 ·
Installed a TRU-COOL 4739-1 TRANSMISSION COOLER about 3 weeks ago and now love how my truck pulls hills without overheating on long hills. I am now the quick one up the hills and high temps on the tranny have only reached about 190 on 90 degree days on long pulls up steep hills. We pull a 17,000 lb 5er.

#22 ·
Today purchased pedestal EBPV delete, CNC oil lines with crossover, glow plugs and oil cooler rebuild kit.

Saturday we will start tearing the truck apart for oil pan replacement, 6.0 cooler and everything else listed in this and previous thread.

Only thing left unknown are possible leaking fuel lines and/or connections.

#24 ·
I drove mine home from work lol And then let the fiancee drive it to dinner. Boy does it feel weird riding shotgun in my truck.

Reactions: yan7gin
#27 ·
Installed the oil line crossover today (HPx). I'm a late bloomer...
Cant really say there is a huge difference in the noise level but I can definitely tell that it has smoothed out the icp reading. That is one of the PID's on my Infinity and the fluctuation is quite a bit less especially at idle.

#28 ·
Haha thanks nick!

Man I have been blessed lately all the preventative maintenance I have done has paid off.

#31 ·
I need to do my ball joints before February and was going to ask what else I need to do while I'm in there.

#32 ·
If you have a 4x4 I would change u-joints while in there. I would also check bushings on sway bar I had a lot of noise from mine. The ball joints were not bad to change at all with the right tools.

Reactions: aclasshog
#33 ·
Yesterday we pulled the motor and dropped the oil pan. The rear oil seal is just starting to leak. Now I have to get a seal. Today I have to degrease the engine and frame. Also rust converter on the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.