The old "Seafoam in the fuel bowl" trick ?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By klhansen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The old "Seafoam in the fuel bowl" trick ??

Just replaced my fuel filter and was considering filling the fuel bowl with Seafoam prior to the first start up as has been mentioned here and elsewhere for its supposed injector cleaning abilities.
....Anybody know if there's a downside to this? Other than the money spent on the Seafoam are there any potential bad outcomes?
Thanks.

1999 F350 DRW Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4, Purchased "new" in 2008 w/ 59k miles.
Carries 5000lb+ Lance Camper
DP Tuner chip w/ 60econ, 120race, decel, hi idle and old SuperChip Boost Tube still installed.
VDO gauges
Ford AIS Extreme Duty air filter and zoodad mod
MagnaFlow 4" Exhaust and muffler
John Wood Eco HD transmission. 6.0 cooler and Maghytec tranny pan
Maghytec rear diff cover w/ Mobil 1 75W-140
Mobil 1 ATF in trans/transfer case/powersteering Magnafine filters for tranny and power steering Airbags, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Torklift Swaystops
Crank case ventilation mod
TransferFlow 57 gallon fuel tank
Riffraff fuel and oil crossover mod
Strictly Diesel fuel tank/pre-pump kit mod
From Dieselsite: 1)air intake heater delete 2)max A/C assist 3)braided 4WD shift hoses 4)replacement boots for all turbo/intercooler boots 5)coolant filtration system 6)203*F thermostat
2 layers Dynamat Extreme on interior roof/floor/doors, Dynamat Xorb on Firewall
Alpine IVA1000 and amp, Python Alarm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 PM

My Photos: (0)
I've done it on a number of occasions without any problems at all....315,000 and purrs like a kitten...a loud kitten anyway.

Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny (2nd one :-), 31 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Stancor HD Glow Plug Relay, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
I've done it once or twice as well. No ill effects really possible. It's just a different kind of fuel, and the engine will burn it just fine.
Greg687 likes this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
I've done it once or twice as well. No ill effects really possible. It's just a different kind of fuel, and the engine will burn it just fine.
Hi KL, Might you know the fuel flow rate of our engine at idle? Would like to start it and run it just long enough to get the Seafoam into the rails and injectors and then shut the engine off and let the Seafoam "sit" there a little while.
Run it too long and the Seafoam is burned and normal diesel fuel is in the rails and injectors; run it too short and the Seafoam doesn't get to the rails/injectors.
Thanks.

1999 F350 DRW Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4, Purchased "new" in 2008 w/ 59k miles.
Carries 5000lb+ Lance Camper
DP Tuner chip w/ 60econ, 120race, decel, hi idle and old SuperChip Boost Tube still installed.
VDO gauges
Ford AIS Extreme Duty air filter and zoodad mod
MagnaFlow 4" Exhaust and muffler
John Wood Eco HD transmission. 6.0 cooler and Maghytec tranny pan
Maghytec rear diff cover w/ Mobil 1 75W-140
Mobil 1 ATF in trans/transfer case/powersteering Magnafine filters for tranny and power steering Airbags, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Torklift Swaystops
Crank case ventilation mod
TransferFlow 57 gallon fuel tank
Riffraff fuel and oil crossover mod
Strictly Diesel fuel tank/pre-pump kit mod
From Dieselsite: 1)air intake heater delete 2)max A/C assist 3)braided 4WD shift hoses 4)replacement boots for all turbo/intercooler boots 5)coolant filtration system 6)203*F thermostat
2 layers Dynamat Extreme on interior roof/floor/doors, Dynamat Xorb on Firewall
Alpine IVA1000 and amp, Python Alarm
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorthdriver View Post
Hi KL, Might you know the fuel flow rate of our engine at idle? Would like to start it and run it just long enough to get the Seafoam into the rails and injectors and then shut the engine off and let the Seafoam "sit" there a little while.
Run it too long and the Seafoam is burned and normal diesel fuel is in the rails and injectors; run it too short and the Seafoam doesn't get to the rails/injectors.
Thanks.
Don't know for sure, but I would guess idling it for just a couple of minutes should do the trick. Some of the Seafoam will go out the return line to the tank and get replaced by diesel coming into the filter housing, so it gets diluted a bit from the get go. Not a bad idea to let the concentrated (as much as possible) Seafoam sit in the fuel system inside the block and injectors. Another approach would be to pull the inlet hose from the fuel pump, stick a hose into a jug of Seafoam as well as fill the filter with it, then run it just until that jug is sucked dry by the fuel pump.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 AM

My Photos: (0)
Torque says my truck uses a little over 1gal/hour at idle

2003 F250 crew, 4x4, 7.3 d with Donaldson CAI, SCT tuner with DP 80ECONO and 60TOW tunes, HPX, Hutch mod, in-line fuel filter, 2" lift, extended air dam mod, WW2 turbo wheel, running Torque Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.