One bank dead, rough idle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One bank dead, rough idle

First post. Truck lost all power but made it home on 4 cyl. Scanned it and got the following codes:
1280 ICP C/low (oil on pigtail of ICP)
1282 ICP higher than desired
1211 ICP higher/lower than desired
1249 wastegate control valve
1670 Electronic feedback signal not detected

B1302 Accessory delay relay coil circuit failure

What I've done so far.
cleaned out ICP and reconnected no change.
unplugged ICP no change, except for SES coming on and cleared once I plugged it in.
I have an AE scanner with the ford package I used it to check oil preassure while cranking and it is reading above 900PSI, 2200PSI while running
Did a buzz test to injectors and all worked and passed test.
Unable to complete contribution test but the passenger side bank is not firing at all. Checked by temp on exhaust manifiold. Drivers side all firing.

Currently engine will crank right up cold and idle roughly. Will eventually shut off and then cranking it up takes a lot of effort.

What it has. boost valve, chip 6 pos. 4 inch exhaust and cold air intake (dry).

Batteries are new and checked no voltage issues.

Any help will be appreciated.
afdiaz70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Update
I replaced the right valve cover harness and wiring. Cranked it up and still not working, passenger side is dead. While running there is oil coming out of the injectors but no heat at exhaust manifold. Right side is dead.

I also unplugged one of the top oil plugs on the rail to see if oil was flowing and while cranking oil flows out but not with much pressure. I did not get it to crank with the plug removed. Using the scanner the pressure was above 800 while cranking. Over 2000 when it runs(even though it is missing on 4 cyl.)

I checked all wiring and although old and showing some signs of wear it does not look chafed or broken. I would like to rule out the IDM and or wiring short.

How can I check if the idm is working?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does it start & run on 8 for a few seconds & then start missing ? If so I may be an injector solenoid putting the IDM in limp mode . Use a meter & ohm the injectors on that side

You can use a ohm meter and do the following check without removing the covers..

Get an ohm meter (get a digital readout), you can check your glow plugs/injectors by unconnecting the 9 pin connectors at both of the valve covers (near top edge) and use the following info:

GGIICIIGG
G - Glow Plug
I - Injector +
C - Injector -
Ohms between the G and block Ground should be 0.1 - 2.0 ohms.
Ohms between the I and C one at a time should read aprox 3.2

Could be a bad IDM as well
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I will do this test but it does start on the 4 cyl on the drivers side only. Long crank but does start and run, no power.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

What is the IPR duty% and ICP pressure while cranking/ running? If there is oil coming out the injectors, they are firing. Ensure you have sufficient fuel pressure. Also, what year is your truck?

Another suggestion, remove the boost foolers and chips while tracking down the problems. They alter readings/parameters and make it difficult to find the real problems.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Truck is 2001, I will remove all foolers today and recheck IPR% and post. The injectors are oiling but it has little pressure or at least it seems that way.

I will also check fuel pressure. Thanks
AD
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdiaz70 View Post
I will do this test but it does start on the 4 cyl on the drivers side only. Long crank but does start and run, no power.
Sounds like IDM issue .Do you know anyone that you can swap IDMs with ? May also want to Look at the wiring as it runs over the DS head , look for chafing ..

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

No IDM to test with. Looking for one. Wiring seems OK and here are some updates.
Checked fuel pressure and it was low. One seat oring was cut in the bowl. I replaced it and added a spring mod. Fuel went from 40 to 95

I was able to do a contribution test and found 2 new codes
P0275 cyl 5 balance fault
P0284 cyl 8 balance fault

P0541 intake heat
P0640 intake air (I do not have an air intake heater)

Duty cycle KOEO IS 14.84
Duty Cycle KOER is 10.94
ICP is 524 idle
ICP disconnected is 724.04

Passenger side is still not working as it should. Temp on exhaust is low 120 to 150 and truck improved with fuel pressure correction but it is has no power.

Found two bad glow plugs and disconnecting the injectors on the left side do not change engine idle. I would say they are not contributing. What gets me is that they are spitting oil and pass buzz test.
If someone has a schematic to test all wiring harness for shorts from the IDM to the UVCH? I guess if that is OK next step is to replace the IDM or Injectors?
Thanks for the help.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Need help please.
I checked all wiring and all is good, replaced idm with reman. removed chips and foolers.
Truck starts right up ad runs with a miss. No power, passenger side is not contributing same as drivers side. Exhaust gas temp is no where near the same.
All injectors are oiling on the passenger side. When WOT engine revs up and white/greyish smoke.

The electrical connector on the turbo pedestal is broken, I did not notice that before.
what next? Can the fuel rail be plugged and no fuel getting to the injectors? Or are the injectors bad? Disconnecting the wire to the injectors on the passenger side while running does not make much difference in idle. Disconnecting the harness on the same side des make the engine lope more?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

v
Quote:
Need help please.
I checked all wiring and all is good, replaced idm with reman. removed chips and foolers.
Truck starts right up ad runs with a miss. No power, passenger side is not contributing same as drivers side. Exhaust gas temp is no where near the same.
All injectors are oiling on the passenger side. When WOT engine revs up and white/greyish smoke.

The electrical connector on the turbo pedestal is broken, I did not notice that before.
what next? Can the fuel rail be plugged and no fuel getting to the injectors? Or are the injectors bad? Disconnecting the wire to the injectors on the passenger side while running does not make much difference in idle. Disconnecting the harness on the same side des make the engine lope more?
Did you ohm the injectors ?..

Quote:
You can use a ohm meter and do the following check without removing the covers..

Get an ohm meter (get a digital readout), you can check your glow plugs/injectors by unconnecting the 9 pin connectors at both of the valve covers (near top edge) and use the following info:

GGIICIIGG
G - Glow Plug
I - Injector +
C - Injector -
Ohms between the G and block Ground should be 0.1 - 2.0 ohms.
Ohms between the I and C one at a time should read aprox 3.2

Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I did ohm the injectors on one side and they all read 3.2 at the harness.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I did ohm the injectors on one side and they all read 3.2 at the harness.
Was that the good side or the bad side ...Did you test both sides ?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

I did the bad side and all ohmed good. Glow plugs were 2 out 4. Will do the other side tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

thinking your getting air in your fuel at one of the heads.this comes from compression bypassing the injector o-rings and getting into the fuel rail.pull the fuel plug on the back of one head is there alot of air in the fuel or did it run better when you bleed the air out,that will be the side with the bad o-rings and copper washer.or you can unplug the fuel pump disconnect the fuel lines at the top filter housing tape a balloon tightly on the end of the line and crank the egn over,what ever balloon blows up is the side with the bad o-ring.
motormedic100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Try clearing codes and unplug one injector on the dead side. Start and see if it changes anything. If not, plug that one back in and repeat the process until you've tried them all. A bad soleniod can cause the IDM to shut down the entire bank. Usually the bad one will read half an ohm or so lower than the rest of them, which is why Rick wanted you to ohm the injectors.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.