P0344 Error Code and Symptoms - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0344 Error Code and Symptoms

I am very familiar with changing the CPS on my 1999 F250SD. Recently it has developed an annoying problem where it misses only during rain. Once the rain stops it runs fine.

Typically in the past when the CPS fails no SES light. The engine dies and loses powere, I install a new one and go on about my business.

I was tired of paying the Ford dealers so I bought one from a local parts store - cheaper and installed it the last time my CPS failed, now that I think about it.

Anyway, we are still having heavy rain in Texas and I was driving to work, truck stalled, SES on, restarted. Active heavy rain.

Read codes when I returned home - P0344. Checked connectore but it was tight.

I must be on my 8th or 9th CPS. This is really getting old. I have not been on this site for awhile and will read up on these "B" sensors and shims. I have never had a CPS do this before. Do you gents use a sealer on the plugs?

Eddie
ejmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: P0344 Error Code and Symptoms

I just read some posts after entering the right search info. I ordered two of the new "B" CPS from Powerstrokeshop.com. I found several individuals that had the same issues as I did.

If anyone has anything to offer, please do so.

How are the "B" CPS holding up???

Eddie
Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd start looking for someplace that the rainwater is getting in. Somehow 8 or 9 CPS's seems a bit strange, particularly going bad during wet weather. Not much help, but I do remember a thread some time ago about rain getting into something that was causing all sorts of problems [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]. The answer was some silicon sealant around whatever it was.
02 F350 4x4 Super Cab, long bed TRUE BLUE all over, pre and tank mods,ZooDad mod (thanks Ben), NC Hornets CCV mmod, Fumoto, pillar gauges, Timbrens, PowerSlots, Arma Coat, acetoned badges...a boat haulin' dream. Smiles when it pulls the Bayliner, doesn't even know the drift boat is there.
rodmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure but someone talked about water going in around the windshield and soaking the pcm. May be that is the problem your with?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)

[ QUOTE ]
I'd start looking for someplace that the rainwater is getting in. Somehow 8 or 9 CPS's seems a bit strange, particularly going bad during wet weather. Not much help, but I do remember a thread some time ago about rain getting into something that was causing all sorts of problems [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]. The answer was some silicon sealant around whatever it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
The connector to the cps is "sealed" with rubber grommets at the plug and where the wires enter it. If the seals are dried out or loose, then water can get in and cause problems by shorting between the pins.

You may be able to fix it with a little dielectric grease around the grommet at the plug-in and around the wires, or you may need to replace the connector. It's available thru International (2501108C1 repair connector with 12 pigtails for CPS, Intl 3517502C1 uninsulated steel barrel for wire crimp).

If you go with the dielectric grease, be sure not to get any gobbed between the pins. It will do the same thing as the water will. Just put a little dab on the grommets.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks. I verified that the seal was in place. I saw no evidence of water in the connector. I will give the dielectric grease a try once the new number CPS arrive. Hurry up UPS.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Been awhile since I posted this problem. I travel a lot so my SD sat in the garage until last month when I dropped it off at the dealer.

The dealer replaced my PCM and the EBP sensor. They also removed my Superchip. I am thinking about buying a new chip.

A few days after I picked the truck up the SES light came on. The code was P0478.

I searched on this forum and followed the advice on cleaning the EBP sensor tube. It was noot completely plugged. I disconnected it at the manifold and sprayed Gunscrubber solvent down the tube and ran a 3/16" engine cleaning brush as far as I could on both ends of the tube and onto the connector on the manifold.

No more P0478 light and I bet the old sensor was not faulty.

The information on this site is top notch. Thanks for all the help!

Eddie
Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another way to clean out the tube for the ebpv is to use a good spray cleaner and a short peice of line fron your weed eater in a cordless drill to scrape out the entire line.
2001 Ford F-350 drw 4x2 auto,4.10 gears,Turbonetics ball bearing turbo, Turbo Master Wastegate controller, Dieselsite Boots, ceramic coated up-pipes and exaust manifolds, DIY Tymar, 4 inch exaust turbo to tip, Isspro guages EGT,Boost, Trans temp from DieselManor, 6.0 trans cooler, AIH delete with boost attachment, ITP Regulated Fuel Return kit,hutch and harpoon mod done, ITP in tank and prepump mod kit, Rotella ELC, 203 Stat. Oil Guard by-pass filter system
DP Tuner-no start, stock,40,60,80E,120
BTS Transmission,(BTS-BUBBA)
105,000 miles, built to tow
Toys: 03 Screaming Eagle Duece Harley
37ft Cyclone by Heartland 5th wheel toy hauler
ford4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another way to clean out the tube for the ebpv is to use a good spray cleaner and a short peice of line fron your weed eater in a cordless drill to scrape out the entire line. </div></div>

Great tip. I will remember that one.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

having identical problem

I am having the exact same problem with my 99 f350 7.3, right down to the rain restarting the problem and stalling out at a red light. I mean my truck is acting the same verbatim

Did you ever reach a resolution to your problem or, more specifically, find the what exactly was causing the problem?

I am on my 3 sensor and found out the the truck had a recall on the sensor but have been told that the truck will come back from the dealer worse than before.

If anyone could be of assistance I would be super duty thankful.
I use my truck for work and only dream of customizing it so it is still stock except for a K&N filter.
rick_lopez3@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.