paperboard / plastic guard under front bumper - is it important? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question paperboard / plastic guard under front bumper - is it important?

There is a flexable guard of sorts that goes under the front bumper to under the radiator housing. The gromet holes where the plastic pop rivits hold it on are torn out and now it just hangs down.

My question is, Is this piece important enough to replace? What purpose does it serve?

I don't know what it's called but I can't seem to find it in any of the parts catalogs.

Thanks guys!

Lisa

'99 F250 Super duty
Crew Cab short bed.
farmmom39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most of the pieces that are put on are there for directing air movement. I do know that some pieces are considered critical for cooling. I can't say that it's the case here. Personaly I would try to re attach it.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I already tried to reattach it but it's too torn. It also isn't big enough to stretch it and poke new holes. It is torn loose from the 3 retaining clips that hold it to the front bumber and it looks like it will fail soon from the back (bottom of radiator housing) and be completely off.

I keep looking at it and it doesn't look like an air foil, it seems to be more of a protector for the little square heat exchanger that sits at the bottom front of the radiator.

Anyone tell me what the little radiator / heat exchanger is? It's only about the size of my hand.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...1&d=1250374151
Attached Thumbnails
paperboard / plastic guard under front bumper - is it important?-truckflap8.15.09.jpg  

Last edited by farmmom39; 08-15-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add image of problem
farmmom39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the front edge used to attach to the bumper then your probably right. The little cooler is for your Power steering fluid I think. You might be able to get a new one form the dealer, Probably called a "skid plate" , or fabricate a new piece to protect the cooler.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm in the same spot as you were the one on my truck just started hanging down, too.

I think the piece may make for a little more aerodynamic air flow, but I don't know. One reason I would like to keep it in place is for a minimal amount of protection from road debris that it may offer for the coolers.

If you price a replacement, plz share what you find.

Truck: Tymar type intake, Zoo Dad, muffler delete, By-pass coolant filter, Dahl 100 fuel filter Harpoon & Hutch mod, upgrade to 3/8" fuel line and HP oil X-over, Oil by-pass, Scan gauge II.

Excursion: All stock, so far.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

The small cooler is for power steering. The rubber deflector not only protects the lower portion of the a/c condensor and the powersteering cooler but also keeps the air directed through the entire line of coolers.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Radiator Air Deflector

Need Help Finding a Part?
I realize this is a very old thread, but I needed the same part and there was no follow-up, so here it is, for those that need the answer.

Part Name: Radiator Air Deflector

Brand: Ford Genuine Parts
Part Number: 8327
Price: $37.95

Quantity:

+Add To Cart

ShareThis

Part Description: With A/C; Lower front - flat hard rubber piece that mounts with seven push pins to the bottom of core support

Quantity Per Vehicle: 1
Package Quantity: 1
lenndeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
It keeps the air coming in through the bumper from simply diverting down and out and bypassing the coolers.

I have not had one on the farm truck for a long time - but have always wanted to but a piece of steel stock there....

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.