PART 2: *WARNING* on CPS recall/ new sensor - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by haul_n_horses2 View Post
Dirtbikez: I do not doubt your observations and they are echoed by several other members but I wonder why this should occur. I do not think there is any difference in the signal between cylinder 1 and 8 with the CPS. The sprocket or shutter, whatever you want to call it, is no different than it was before. How can the sensor now cause this problem? I am not doubting you, just asking the question. There are several folks that have put these on an oscilloscope and monitored the output. I do not recall any difference in the waveform for one cylinder vs. another. Could this be an issue in PCM programming? Thanx for reporting your results. I have two black CPS in the glove box and two gray ones. What to do?
I have been pondering this as well but have zero theories at this point. I'm baffled to say the least. Hoping to get some comments from the members with the strong opinions from the original thread.

2002 F350 REG CAB DRW
DIRTBIKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

i had it changed on mine. I had a check engine light on previous to this. i do not know if they pulled the code before or after the cps change. what i do know is the #8 failed the contribution test. even with a bad injector my fuel mileage has gone up. I still think the truck is not running correctly after injector change. i will go in tommorrow or monday to hook up to computer to see if i have have another injector issue. Luckily everything is under warranty for me. The mechanic gave me 2 black ones he took off of other trucks to keep. he said if the issue continues, he kept a couple more black ones to change mine back to it if need be.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

here's a question, I asked the dealership the other day if they have heard of this and he denyed it and said he has not had a problem with any he has done and has never heard of this, but my truck threw a code on #8 after they changed it and now is idleing rough.. how can I convince him that there might be a problem with this.

Steve
Early 1999 F250 XL, auto, 2WD, 7.3L, performance muffler, 3 gage pillar, Beans Stage 1 injectors, DP PCM (Mod stock), DP F5 ( Mod Stock, Drive through, 60HP tow, 80HP economy, 120HP Race) boost tube, boost inhalator, DIY Tymar intake, billet multi-clutch torque converter, HD trans rebuild with Tugger II HD.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
here's a question, I asked the dealership the other day if they have heard of this and he denyed it and said he has not had a problem with any he has done and has never heard of this, but my truck threw a code on #8 after they changed it and now is idleing rough.. how can I convince him that there might be a problem with this.

Steve
I would INSIST that they swap a black one back in and see what happens.

2002 F350 REG CAB DRW
DIRTBIKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

So after the grey CPS, when you take it back in and its out of warranty, who's paying for the UVC harnesses and Injector?
1987 Mercedes 300SDL Turbodiesel
05 Yukon XL
Dearly Departed: 2001 F-250 PSD....almost as fast as NIBROC's..., 97 PSD, 86 6.9L, 04 CC 6.0L, 98.5 24V CTD 2500
wchain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

I had the recall done two weeks ago and started to have problems with it running cold. I thought a first it was my fuel gelling up but it does it when it is warm. I am going to try to find the old one and see if this solves my problem.
crazy469mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to countryboy 444
When my CPS went out, it was right after the recall happened so i had it changed. Not the important part, because a friend from Diesel school (who sold his truck months ago) just gave me a brand new black CPS for FREE!!!! I wasn't gonna decline! So now she rests safely in my glove box
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Well that throws a wrench into the works! I was minutes away from calling the dealer to get mine changed. My truck is running great at the present time. Should I wait on this recall?
holeshotkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeshotkid View Post
Well that throws a wrench into the works! I was minutes away from calling the dealer to get mine changed. My truck is running great at the present time. Should I wait on this recall?

Thanks to all of you. I just got my recall notice, and will wait while watching this link until the dust clears and my dealer assures me that the problem has been identified and solved.

Warren
Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

I had one go out and it was replaced under warrenty back in 03, the recall notice came in Feb of 08 and I was going to ignore it, truck was running good, couple of weeks later truck shut off coming up to the corner and then i got it restarted, did it a week later again, and then a couple of times it hiccuped a few times, so I bought a new cps from auto zone for about 30 bucks with plans to change it myself, could'nt get the 10mm bolt out, seemed like it was going to snap the head of the bolt off, so I took it to the dealership for recall work.
Now the truck seems to get better mileage and runs a tad bit smoother.
Work ride 2013 Kenworth T370
whiskyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

I got my recall a few weeks ago, but my truck is stored until the snow melts. Anyway, in reading these post, I wonder how many that are having the problem have the LL injector. My truck came with the standard injector and I've got an aftermarket fuel return system. I'm kind of curious as to those that are having problems if they have the standard injector or the LL injector in number 8, and if they still have the factory dead end fuel system. I am watching these threads real close, as I've got the original CPS and a black spare in the glove box, so I'm not totally convinced it's something I want to do.
2000 F350 XLT PSD 4X4, 6spd, ESOF, 4.10ls, Super Cab Dually, Tow Pkg, Camper Pkg, Off Road pkg, Western Diesel Power Chip(DIED), AutoMeter EGT, Boost gauge, ITP HP oil crossover, and ITP Fuel Pressure regulated return system. DP-Tuner F5 chip with No Start, Stock, 60 Tow and 80 Economy.
2001 Polaris 500HO ATV.
sthoge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

CPS Appointment Made

I have an appointment set for later this week to have the new CPS installed. I think I will ask for the old one that has serviced me with out issues for over 90K. Is there anything I should have them look at before the engine and drivetrain warranty expires?
fourphils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoge View Post
I got my recall a few weeks ago, but my truck is stored until the snow melts. Anyway, in reading these post, I wonder how many that are having the problem have the LL injector. My truck came with the standard injector and I've got an aftermarket fuel return system. I'm kind of curious as to those that are having problems if they have the standard injector or the LL injector in number 8, and if they still have the factory dead end fuel system. I am watching these threads real close, as I've got the original CPS and a black spare in the glove box, so I'm not totally convinced it's something I want to do.
Interesting, I put the gray one in myself. bought it from powerstroke.com before the recall. I have had no problems but I don't believe I have the LL8 in my 2000 from what I have read and I do have a regulateed return as well.
REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in Gallary- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, ARI TC, JW VB, Walbro 392, TC Lock, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straigt piped and guages, 6637, 203T, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
kilapapipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Got my recall letter a month ago, have been procrastinating because I bought the first black one from stealer a couple of years ago and it is still running fine, then I bought 2 black spares from ebay for $150 and they sit in the glove box. I know I have LL8 so i am not sure I want to get that recall done.

How much time do we have to get the recall done under warranty?
MaxHuey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

I had mine done a couple weeks ago. The truck ran flawlessly then and does so now.

I can't comment on mileage changes as I am still on my first tank since the swap. I think it may be a bit better but not enough of a change to attribute it directly to the CPS. The trans does seem to shift into OD a lot sooner now in the AM, but that may just be the warmer temps.

My dealer would NOT let me have the old one. They said they needed to send it back for credit on the job.

One item of note, the original letter states the dealer will test and replace the sensor if needed. I assure you there was no testing done on mine, just 'pluck and chuck'. They had already done many by the time I got my truck in and they are universally swapping them all out.

However, thanks to this thread my truck is now doomed! ;-)
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.