The Diesel Stop banner

Please help with not starting

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ddevore 
#1 ·
Hi. I bought an 02 f250 all stock, about a month ago. I have been reading everyday since then but still cant figure it out. I got it not starting, people said it was hard to start cold they had to plug it up for a day in order for it to start. When it did start it would take some time to have any power at all. Then no starting at all. Towed it to a shoop that told them it needed new injectors. $4000.00. So i paid $1000.00 for it and brought it home. I put in a new CPS, fuse for starter under dash was blown replaced it. No WTS light, no frayed wires, 42 pin harness fine, fuel pump on sending fuel to bowl but not to injectors. Please try and help ive done most anything and im ready to sell the dam thing already lol. Thanks.

#2 ·
So you bought it for $1000? My other question is how do you know it has no fuel to the injectors? It may be some weak injectors or o-rings or both. DOn't pay $4000 for an injector job. You can do it for $1200. And that's 8 re-maned injectors. O-ring job is $70 and a few hours of frustration.

#3 ·
Could be hpop, ipr icp, idm, cps, uvch, etc. How much oil is in tje hpop reservoir? Need autoenginuity to look at things and diagnose.

Someone with more experience shoyld be able to help you better.

#4 ·
You said "no WTS light". If that's true, then either the PCM isn't getting power or there's something wrong with it. But if the fuel pump is running and putting out fuel to the filter housing (open the drain valve and turn the key on), then that means that the PCM is at least turning on the fuel pump relay. If there's fuel to the bowl, then it's getting to the injectors. But the injectors also need HP oil to operate as well as a high voltage signal from the IDM.

You might try to unplug the ICP sensor and see if it will start.

With the price of your initial investment, consider buying AutoEnginuity to go with it. That'll help you figure out why it won't start.

#6 ·
That's it - the oil signifies the sensor has ruptured internally. Does it start with that sensor unplugged?

#7 ·
Also - where are you at? Someone close might have AutoEnginuity to scan it for you. Or to buy it for $1000....

#9 ·
Will oil in the ICP connector cause a no start situation? In trying to track down my cause, I just unplugged it and found oil but I haven't read anything that would cause the truck to not start. I tried starting with it unplugged and there was no difference.

#10 ·
It can - if the ICP was giving an artificially high signal, the PCM would open the IPR to compensate. This would cause the actual pressure to be much lower than needed. Still - unplugging it is the definitive test - the PCM uses a default value that will allow the engine to start and run.

#11 ·
That's what I thought. So, because it still didn't start when it was unplugged, it's something other than the ICP, correct?

#12 ·
Seeing the cost of the sensors I'd either find a friend with a scanner or at least have a diesel shop run a diag scan on it for around $100... There are so many things that can cause a no start and unless you know what to attack you could be throwing money at it. Killer deal for $1000 for a 7.3l truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.