Power Steering Fluid - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Fluid

How often do you have to change the powersteering fluid (bought it used at 120000 miles, don't know if its ever been changed). And how do you do this? Can you use tranny fluid?

matt
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)
Re: Power Steering Fluid

I change mine at about 25k and start adding Mobil one AFT. I do a non typical change and only change the fluid in the reservoir. Every 3k-5k it gets another shot of Mobil 1. Never had a problem with the pump or steering gear doing this. There are write ups on a complete change by removing the return line from the pump but I've never done that.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

When in doubt change it. I went with redline synthetic high temp atf.
2001 F250 4X4 Lariat SC, long bed, 4R100 all valve bodys done by BTS pump by BTS updated ford converter, afe stageII PG7, DP stk 60T 80E 120R, ITP CCV mod, Bilstein's, Firestone ride right 2330, MBRP 409 stainless 4" turbo back muffler delete, PML rear differential cover, Autometer PhantomII Boost/Pyro/Trans in A piller pod, Dieselsite BRV+, Dieselsite coolant filter, Red Head steering gear, Rancho RS97488,power stroke nation.com
vapstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you have to change the powersteering fluid ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford doesn't mention changing it, but I do mine about every two or three years, or around 50,000 mile intervals.

[ QUOTE ]
And how do you do this? Can you use tranny fluid?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several ways to skin a cat. Here's my way.

Buy at least two quarts of MERCON ATF. Or if you want to do an outstanding flushing job, then buy 3 quarts. I spend a bit extra and buy Mobil 1 synthetic MERCON ATF

Yes, that's tranny fluid. Do not buy ordinary power steering fluid, because Ford requires MERCON ATF.

Raise the hood and notice the brake master cylinder near the driver's side of the firewall. In front of the master cylinder is the brake hydroboost unit (power brake booster). There are two lines that run from the power steering pump to that hydroboost unit. One line is out near the fender where it would be easy to get to, but that's not the one you want. You want the one fartherest away from you - the one that's harder to reach.

Disconnect that hard-to-reach line at the hydroboost unit. Pay attention and don't lose the nylon/plastic "O" ring on the end of that line.

Aim that disconnected line at a container.

Remove the cap from the power steering pump reservoir. Have your sweetheart help by starting and killing the engine when you holler. Place yourself so you can see into the powering steering reservoir and aim the line at the used-oil container at the same time.

Do this: Holler to start the engine. Watch the reservoir, and when it's empty, then holler to stop the engine. Fill up the reservoir with new ATF.

Repeat the "do this" above several times, until you have poured in at least two quarts of new ATF. If you want a really good job of flushing, then continue until you have poured in 3 quarts of new ATF.

Button it up and you're good to go.

Don't worry if you inadvertently pump the reservoir dry and get some air into the system. The air will soon work it's way out of the system with no ill effects.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

you guys sure work hard.

buy a quart of synthetic atf.

park over a dusty gravel area.
put oil pan under reservoir.
put funnel into powersteering filler.
start truck.

pour synthetic atf into powersteering letting it overflow into oil pan and doing your part for the EPA by reducing dust.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
you guys sure work hard.

buy a quart of synthetic atf.

park over a dusty gravel area.
put oil pan under reservoir.
put funnel into powersteering filler.
start truck.

pour synthetic atf into powersteering letting it overflow into oil pan and doing your part for the EPA by reducing dust.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it will be mostly NEW ATF that overflow's into the pan on the ground...

A method that works and will actually get the new ATF in your system is to pull the return line that comes from the brake booster to the reservoir, and have it discharge into a bucket. Have a helper do a combination of pulsing the brake pedal and turning the steering wheel while you stand there and add ATF to the reservoir as the level drops.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend. Hopefully that will cut down on the "whine" from the power steering. It seems like you guys know just about everything about these trucks.

Thank you!
Matt
Old 09-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

And it will be mostly NEW ATF that overflow's into the pan on the ground...

Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

wanna bet?????? Have you tried it????? The truth is that there is really not that much fluid in the system, and the fluid is used over adn over at a VERY high rate. So, you basically can't pour it in NEARLY as fast as teh fluid cycles.

Further, you can't drain a significant portion of the fluid out of it no matter what you do.

The funnel ensures you get down near the intake for the pump.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

"Do not buy ordinary power steering fluid, because Ford requires MERCON ATF."

what happens if you do use regular power steering fluid? is it damaging? or is it because mercon atf is just better suited?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

darren
!!!SOLD!!!--BLACK-2001 SUPER DUTY F250 XLT-7.3PSD, 6SPD,CC/LB,3.73:1,Engine build date:Oct.13, 2000 @ Canoas Engine Plant, APX1,SCT Xcal-2 loaded w/DP Tuner's 80Tow,80Econo,and 120Race Programs,DR 400HP Injectors,BDP 1.0 Turbo(Non-EBPV/Non-Wastegated)Housing,Wicked Wheel,AFE STG1, 4"MagnaFlow TurboBack Exhaust,Polished 6" SS Tip,ITP Overboost Eliminator,IC Wrap Delete, Full-Pillar Dual Pod loaded w/AutoMeter Ultra-Lite Boost&Pyro Guages,13" Lift in front, 15" lift in rear,38.5 Baja Claws,16.5x14 Typhoons, Dynatrac Super Duty Combo Kit,Bilstein 7100 Shocks w/ORU Billet Mounting System,Stull Billet Grill,Line-X, ORU Polished Front/Rear Diff Covers, Smittybuilt Chrome on S/S Step Bars, F650 Super Crewzer Badges.....

COMING SOON: ????

Click for pics of "THE RIDE"
nsp447 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]

"Do not buy ordinary power steering fluid, because Ford requires MERCON ATF."

what happens if you do use regular power steering fluid? is it damaging? or is it because mercon atf is just better suited?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

darren

[/ QUOTE ]

typically, power steering fluid and ATF can be compatible together in power steering systems. Even so, ATF actually tends to be superior since it contains more EP &amp; AW additives than conventional PS fluid. In some cases, seal and component compatibility with the type of fluid used comes into play. It is generally considered best to use what the Manufacturer says to use.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Synthetic Mercon ATF would probably be the best.Ford recommends Mercon ATF.Regular power steering will work but like Hammer said ATF has more additives and IS what is recommended.50k mile intervals should be good unless you off road or have real big tires or both.I change mine by removing the line to the power steering cooler and pump it into a DRAIN PAN(drmiller100) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img] about 2 qts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
'02 Black F-350srw Lariat. 7.3/CC/SB/OR. BTS tranny with 6.0 cooler,coated TN bb1.00 w/Hi-flow outlet,Non-EBP ped,BWD coated/bellowed up-pipes,D.P Tuner.F5(stock,Hi-idle,60tow,80econo,120race),4" SS Magnaflow,BDS stabilizers ,Fluidampr,AFE Stage2w/PG7&pre-filter,Spearco 6.0 IC,PML pan,HPOX,Airdog,ITP reg.return,MAP Maximizer,8 spring front, BFG 315/75/16 AT's,DTS 4.56LS gears,Mag-Hytec cover,Dieselsite SS ESOF lines,coolant filter,203* stat w/billet&Fleetrite,Optix fuel on column,Ultra-Lite trans,pyro,boost on pillar.All fluids Mobil1,Energy polys,Centramatic,Fumoto,Billet,Line-X,Husky box,Extang,EGR,Alpine,Viper,Dynamat,Sirius,PIAA,Hu sky-Liner,Bilsteins. Door ding,overhead console,Snowman,Zoodad,Harpoon,AIH,Marinco,CCV,foi l mods. Hawks and Powerslot cryo's
ELLIOT02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (2)

I have never have changed my power steering fluid.I guess this is on my to do list.

mike
kainers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (31)

I need to do this too.
2001 F350 XLT White Crew Cab 7.3L Long Bed * (CCV) Racor 4500 * Fumoto (Oil Drain Valve) * AFE Stage II(Pro Guard 7) * AC control valve * AutoMeter Lunar gauges on the pillar (Pyro - Transmission Temp - Boost) * (TTM) Turbo Temp Monitor * 6.0L Tranny cooler * 6.0L IC * 203 Thermostat * (SS) HX-Hose * Non-Wastegated Van Turbo w/ATS housing & Stock Wheel * Gutted Pedistal * Line X * ZooDad Air * 4" DPPI SS dual exhaust from ITP * Aeroturbine 4040 * Donahoe 2" (mini spring packs) leveling kit * F5 DP Tuner chip with live custom tunes * Brians Truck Shop Transmission (BTS)

Truck Pictures

Webshots

Ford Makes It - International Shakes It "FOMOGO"
Humdinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Buy a Turkey- baster and every time you change your oil, suck out a little power steering fluid and replace it with Synthetic Mercon ATF Spike481
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.