The Diesel Stop banner

Power steering flush, still whining while turning

9K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  itorchedparis 
#1 ·
I recently did a flush of my power steering fluid because it was whining hardcore. I flushed about 2.5 quarts through it even though it was coming out clean for a bit (or at least much cleaner looking) The whining was totally gone afterwards.... For about a week. Now its back but only when I turn left and its worse than before the flush. Should I do it again? Any other thoughts? Thanks

#2 ·
Well what did you put in it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
motorcraft mecron V

#4 ·
Other than the noise, it's working fine?
Since its only turning one direction, I would be inclined to think it's something in the gearbox.

#5 ·
The whining comes from the pressure relief valve unloading, you must have a restriction turning left somewhere.

#11 ·
Where is this pressure relief valve you speak of? lol

#6 ·
Try a synthetic fluid.

That usually takes most of the noise out

#7 ·
#8 ·
P/S Problems

Good afternoon,
I had a similar problem and the culprit was the P/S Cap. I had a (2-3 drip) leak under the truck every morning and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. After a few iterations of adding fluid, I realized that when the leak would stop, the whine would start. Well...the leak was P/S fluid and the single point of failure was the ~$8 cap (I finally noticed that the cap would seal fine...until I cranked it and the pressure would pop it loose). That was after I did a flush with synthetic and wasted time/money trying to figure it out. I hope it's that simple for you; if not, let us know what you find.

#10 ·
Good afternoon,
I had a similar problem and the culprit was the P/S Cap. I had a (2-3 drip) leak under the truck every morning and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. After a few iterations of adding fluid, I realized that when the leak would stop, the whine would start. Well...the leak was P/S fluid and the single point of failure was the ~$8 cap (I finally noticed that the cap would seal fine...until I cranked it and the pressure would pop it loose). That was after I did a flush with synthetic and wasted time/money trying to figure it out. I hope it's that simple for you; if not, let us know what you find.
Fluid was slightly low and I added maybe 3/4-1 cups worth to it and it made it ever so slightly quieter. Years ago I noticed my PS cap was super loose and leaking fluid so I changed it out. This new one is starting to feel a bit loose again so maybe I'll change it again.

As far as the gear box. For as long as I've owned the truck the gear box has been worn out. I can drive down the expressway and shimmy the steering wheel back and forth maybe 10-15 degrees and the truck stays straight. There's a LOT of play. This might be the year I finally replace it.

#9 ·
Rt I was under the impression merc v came in both formulas.

I could be wrong. I don't use it.

#13 ·
#12 ·
Also, try this...

My gearbox was worn out too, but before I could replace it, the shaft spiral-snapped while I was driving (slowly turning into a parking lot...thankfully). Anyway, I replaced it with a "RedHead" Box and things have been great since. One more thing, check your Pitman Arm nut (the one on top) to see if it's loose. If it is, tighten it (1-5/16ths needed, I keep one in my truck as it comes loose from time to time) and you should feel "less" slack in the wheel. Of note, even a brand new GB will not remove all the slack...I was disappointed by that...but it is a lot better now. I hope this helps.
God bless,
Country

#15 ·
What is the advantage of a RedHead vs a Motorcraft box?

I have heard Mobil-1 is the best Synthetic ATF to use to quiet a whining pump.

#16 ·
Typically they're rebuilt to higher standards than factory production.
But search the internet on those units. You'll find varying opinions. I know of people that have had to swap them out 5 times to get a good one. Others gave up and went with a parts store reman.

#17 ·
Thanks for the insight.
I have read about the "hit or miss" build quality.

I think I will replace with Motorcraft when the time comes.

#18 ·
RH vs MC gearbox

When it comes to parts for my truck, MotorCraft (MC) has always been the best fit/most dependable; however, the RedHead (RH) gearbox came very highly recommended and has not disappointed. The RH's are "rebuilt" gearboxes with better parts and tighter tolerances. Simply put, you are probably good going with either. By the way, did you figure out what was causing the whine? Just curious.

#19 ·
When it comes to parts for my truck, MotorCraft (MC) has always been the best fit/most dependable; however, the RedHead (RH) gearbox came very highly recommended and has not disappointed. The RH's are "rebuilt" gearboxes with better parts and tighter tolerances. Simply put, you are probably good going with either. By the way, did you figure out what was causing the whine? Just curious.
I have not resolved the whine yet. I've got so many other things going on, oil leak, tranny leak, fuel leak, driveshaft u-joints, that the whine doesn't even bother me at the moment.....ok, it still bothers me but it's not on the top of my repair list.

#21 ·
It's not the wrong fluid and I even went as far as buying expensive Motorcraft fluid.

Reactions: ArcticDriver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.