Power Steering Pump / Hydra Boost / Brakes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Pump / Hydra Boost / Brakes

I was getting a groaning noise when I turned the steering wheel and it was getting worse. I changed the power steering pump yesterday. The problem is a little better but there is still a noise. I'm also hearing the same noise when I push the brake pedal. My brakes aren't working as well as they were.

Is there air in my power steering lines?
Do I need to flush the power steering system completely?
beaglegun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Did you bleed the air at the hydroboost unit? Even if it had some air it will work it's way out.
Start the truck and turn the wheels back and forth and pump the brakes several times, then turn the truck off and
look in the PS reservoir, if the fluid looks foamy or pinkish. it's got air in it.
Let it set for 10-20 minutes and do it again. It may take several times ti get all the air out.
If it has no air in it, then try flushing the PS system and changing to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, if that doesn't cure the problem then you may need to look at the hydroboost unit.
here is an article on troubleshooting
Operation, Diagnosis and Repair of HYDRO-BOOST Power Assist Systems, Bill Williams, Brake & Front End, March 2005

Pro GOD, Pro Guns, Pro Life Important Notice, Pro Life changes when someone breaks in.

Last edited by whitjo; 01-31-2008 at 06:27 AM.
whitjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I disconnected both hoses underneath the radiator and drained the power steering fluid.

It is possible that I reconnected the hoses backwords. Does that matter? If it does what would be the result?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's just the cooler, it won't kill anything if you reconnected them backwards.

Pro GOD, Pro Guns, Pro Life Important Notice, Pro Life changes when someone breaks in.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm going to flush the system with Mobile 1 ATF. I've read several posts recomending this. Somebody made up a killer proceedure and put it online.

Power Steering Fluid Flushing Procedure For F250 Superduty Truck
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

When I replaced my pump had that same problem. After it sat all night it was fine the next day. I think it just had air in the system and takes a while to bleed out.

12/98, CC, XLT, LB, 4x4, 7.3, 6sp, '06 front end, 4" front springs, Bilsteins, DiPricol Pyro,Boost and Fuel Gauges, 35" Toyo, SouthBend Con-O, 197,000 miles, 4" exhaust, Performance Friction rotors and pads, DP F5 chip, RedHead steering box

BWD Turbonetics .84 Quickspool Turbo/Spearco
EBPV Deleted
Dieselsite BRV+, Intercooler boots
Banks Tubes
Terminator
ITP Reg. Return, Intank, and Delete

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
barnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglegun View Post
I'm going to flush the system with Mobile 1 ATF. I've read several posts recomending this. Somebody made up a killer proceedure and put it online.

Power Steering Fluid Flushing Procedure For F250 Superduty Truck
from your link:

"I discovered from reading many posts on TDS that flushing the power steering fluid (ATF) and replacing it with Mobile 1 synthetic ATF might alleviate the problem."

That procedure's been here at TDS for years, but that is a good writeup.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I flushed the power steering system according to the procedure. I still have a problem. When sitting still and the brake applied I can't turn the steering wheel. My tires aren't that big. I still have noise but not as loud. Shouldn't the flushing procedure get rid of all the air? I flushed 3 quarts through it.

When flushing, does the cooler and hoses to the cooler get flushed also? By tracing out the flow paths it seem to me that this is bypassed. The return line from the cooler is routed into the bottom of the reservoir.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Where did you gat the new pump? Is it an OEM or "world class" from the generic stores?
If you've flushed it and let the air work out then I suspect the "new" pump may be faulty.
It is common for the steering to be a bit stiff while the brakes are applied because the hydoboost is robbing some of the pressure.
Pump the brakes a few time with the motor off, then push the pedal down and hold it while you start the truck. It should go down some and then stop just like a vacuum type system.
That should give you a clue as to whether the HB is causing some of the problem??

Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I lost everything today! No power steering, no power brakes! I took the pressure line off the hydro-boost and started the engine. I had fluid pressure but I don't know how much. It didn't seem like much but I did have a solid stream. I took of the pressure line at the HB that goes to the gear. I just had a small amout of fluid spitting out. I'm assuming the HB is bad. I took it off but I can't order one until Monday.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

A new HB is $400!!!!!!! I wonder if I can take it apart and rebuild it?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglegun View Post
A new HB is $400!!!!!!! I wonder if I can take it apart and rebuild it?
Not rebuildable
The backup boost accumulator attached to the side is pressure charged and cannot be removed and replaced.
Check with Powerstrokeshop.com $350.00
I got one from a local dealer, the guy made me a great deal at $305.00 +tax!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had the same noise after replacing a hose. One of the hoses got a small leak and needed replaced. I was afraid that I had hurt the pump by maybe running it dry. It did end up being air and silenced itself after a while.

Good to know about the Mobil 1 atf. I just used regular atf fluid. Come spring I think I'll drain and refill with a better fluid.

Jared
2002 Excursion Limited 7.3L PSD, Auto, 4x4, 35x12.50-17 Mickey Thompson ATZ, Blue Gold, AFE Stage II with ProGuard7, MBRP 4" stainless, DP tuner (hi idle, stock, 40, 60, 80, 120), Adrenaline HPOP, Coolant Filter, Amsoil bypass filter, Ford rear sway bar, 6 1/2" spring arch.

2000 BMW 540i, 6 speed, sport package, daily driver.
jnyost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

I took the HB apart. The accumulator doesn't need to come apart. Everything looked fine and I thought the spool valve had come loose from the linkage. There's a piece pressed in I couldn't remove. I think it may be called the dump valve. I just wanted to try it and see, I had nothing to lose. I work on hydraulic valves all the time at work and the HB isn't much different.

Anyway this was all a waste of time anyway. I should have took whitjo's advice and checked the new pump. After looking at the HB I figured nothing was wrong with it and pulled the pump. The aluminum housing was cracked half way around the groove where the ring is that holds the pump in the housing. This was allowing my pressure to escape to the reservoir when the pressure built up. I called the parts vendor and ordered another one. I hope I have better luck with this one. I would get one from ford but they're twice the price. If this one doesn't work out I guess I'll break down a spend the money. I doesn't take long to change the pump, especially when you've done it twice!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I put the newest pump and HB on last night. My steering and brakes work better then ever.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.