Powersteering / Hydroboost problem - Brake Kickback - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powersteering / Hydroboost problem - Brake Kickback

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a few days trying to find an answer to my problem but still need help.

Alright, last weekend I was out at the Gordons Well sand drags and my Power Steering pump started to whine and it was spitting fluid out the fill cap. After it cooled down, I had no assisted steering or brakes.

Fine, got up the next day, purchased a new PS pump from Autozone along with the puller/installation tool. A few hours later and the new pump installed. When installing the new pump, I removed the hose fitting from the new pump and installed the old hose/fitting assembly so I wouldn't ruin the teflon o-ring.

Went out for a test drive and the assisted steering is working fine, but the brakes kickback and grab.

A few days later, I find the TSB for this issue
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/992508.pdf

Well I flushed the system by routing the hydroboost return line into a catch can and poured 3 quarts of Mercon V thru the system. No change in the brakes, they still kickback and grab.

Now after reading this TSB again, I did not rev the engine to 2200 RPM when I was doing the lock to lock or brake pedal pumping. Hmm, maybe that could help?!?

So, I guess some questions are.
  • Do I need the external filter to clean the system or is the flush method I used good enough?
  • Should I flush the system again this time increasing the RPMs to 2200?
  • Or, does it just look like my Hydroboost is out and I have to replace it?
  • If the Hydroboost is out, can I purchase just the Hydroboost portion of the module and bolt on my existing Brake Master Cylinder to it?
  • Best place to buy these parts?
Thanks for any help on this issue.

Pulling 11k Attitude Eclipse full of sand toys. 2x2008 Kawasaki KFX450's, 2x2007 Kawasaki KFX90's.
Rogue1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
The brake pedal will buck if you get air in the PS system. I managed to get a bit in mine when I did a flush, and it sounded and felt horrible for a few minutes. Then it was just irritating till I put a few miles on it and the air worked it's way out of the system.

You might want to do the lock-to-lock and brake thing again with the engine revved and see what happens.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thats good to hear, my pedal has had kickback ever since the fluid was low after it spilled out from manually turning the wheels while replacing the ball joints. Glad to see the bulletin, will be trying that 'cleaning cycle' next time we head out for an adventure.

EDIT- followed the procedure with the wheels off the ground and no more pedal kickback

Last edited by Donut Limo; 07-21-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: follow up
Donut Limo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, doing the TSB recommended bleed method still didn't help. Plus, I tried the 2200 RPM lock to lock with the wheels on the ground. DON"T DO THIS. My Powersteering pump locked up and spun the pulley right off. Luckily it did not hurt anything else.

Installed the PS pump and had to find a factory pulley (drove to San Diego yesterday) to install as the old one was FUBAR.

Bleed the PS system again (wheels raised) and the kickback is still there. So, now I'm looking around for hydroboost install instructions/tips.

Pulling 11k Attitude Eclipse full of sand toys. 2x2008 Kawasaki KFX450's, 2x2007 Kawasaki KFX90's.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thought I should post a follow up. Well I replaced the pump again and then performed the factory recommended bleed method. This mostly worked, but a little kickback was still happening.

I decided to drive it around for a few days and the problem cleared up. The last of the air worked out of the system and it worked like new again.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Hey everyone. I am wondering where I can get this TSB you were mentioning. My 2008 F350 is in the shop right now. My hydroboost line that is common to my power steering and my brakes failed some how. My dealer is telling me it won't be covered under my warranty despite not having 36000 miles yet on it. Your description of your problem is EXACTLY what happened with our truck
dieselchick08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselchick08 View Post
Hey everyone. I am wondering where I can get this TSB you were mentioning. My 2008 F350 is in the shop right now. My hydroboost line that is common to my power steering and my brakes failed some how. My dealer is telling me it won't be covered under my warranty despite not having 36000 miles yet on it. Your description of your problem is EXACTLY what happened with our truck
Tell them to make the repair under your BUMPER to BUMPER warranty unless it was damaged by something you did or installed on truck they have to pay.
This sounds like they are just trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
Be assertive but polite. It will go a long way.
Mike
'96 WX3 bbb
TwiceStroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm not sure if the bleed method in the TSB applies to your newer truck. The link is in my first post, but here it is again.

LINK

Good Luck,
Larry

Last edited by Rogue1970; 07-26-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks. I have now come to find out that even though at first they claimed it was a hydroboost line there is something else. Water got into my power steering system and seized up the bearing in the pump so now the pump needs to be replace and this is NOT cover under warranty. I don't understand how it could not be. I don't take my truck 4 wheeling or drive crazy with. We use it to commute everyday and to tow our camper when we go camping. The dealer is the only one who is under my hood dioing the oil changes. Do you all think I have a valid reason to fight this with ford. I am going to pay what I have to but then I am planning to contact ford about it and tell them how dissatisfied I am
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking

well I even tried to fight with Ford about it and Ford agrees with the dealer that it is NOT covered under the Bumper to Bumper. And get this - I spent all this money to repair the damn thing - went on vacation and on our way back the same crap happened again so it is BACK at the dealer right now.

I am thinking they are going to eat their own words because they are going to discover that something else in my motor caused the water to get into my system and Ford WILL have to pay for it.

I will not let this one go - Hey thanks for all the info and I will keep you all up to date

How do I go about getting pics of my truck on here?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselchick08 View Post
well I even tried to fight with Ford about it and Ford agrees with the dealer that it is NOT covered under the Bumper to Bumper. And get this - I spent all this money to repair the damn thing - went on vacation and on our way back the same crap happened again so it is BACK at the dealer right now.

I am thinking they are going to eat their own words because they are going to discover that something else in my motor caused the water to get into my system and Ford WILL have to pay for it.

I will not let this one go - Hey thanks for all the info and I will keep you all up to date

How do I go about getting pics of my truck on here?
With the 2nd failure I would run this through small claims court. You definitely have a leg to stand on, two even
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Likely the newer trucks have a oil-to-water cooler for the power steering? If that is leaking, you could get cross-contamination of fluids into you PS fluid.

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

good luck getting anything out of ford

My wife has 99 f150 we baught new. The only people under the hood has been our local dealer (lifetime oil change) and me. Last fall I was replacing headlights and noticed the factory jack handle was missing. After an hour of arguing and two different people I still had to pay for the new handle.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

thanks for the info - I will look into it somehow - any idea where I would find this oil to water cooler thing you are talking about

the second repair was on them as the pump failed - they are sending it back to Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.