Pros/Cons wastegate disconnect - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pros/Cons wastegate disconnect

Hey guys, my truck is a stock 99 7.3 with auto tranny, boost gauge, tranny temp gauge. I was reading online about disconnecting the red line to the WG, ******IF****** I could drive truck and watch my boost, keeping it 25ish psi, am I damaging truck or turbo?

I hear truck builds boost quicker? Also read I could expect worse fuel mileage. What are the truths and pro and cons? I love working on my truck, free tweaks, or cheap mods. I'm cheap. Period.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Waste gate's purpose is that if you build up too much pressure it opens up the valve and dumps the excess preventing you from doing any damage which is why to bypass without a boost gauge or to not watch a boost gauge means this can be a very bad idea. You also need to know that there is a fine line with high performance and fuel mileage and engine wear.

Going hi-pro with semi's, we'd take them straight out the back door BUT fuel mileage was dependent on how they got driven and making them that responsive also meant nobody else was ever allowed to drive the trucks under any circumstances because all safety was removed. My son takes my truck sometimes do I really want him to be able to take it out the back door knowing he won't be paying as close attention to those gauges? I want to take my truck to the point of pure enjoyment to drive and to gain fuel mileage but not to the point that nobody else can drive it and not to the extent that the additional horsepower will take from the life of the engine.

Other question, what have you done to your truck so far? Rule #1 on any engine, gas or diesel, never mess with fuel or turbo until you've addressed intake and exhaust. To do otherwise is like forcing someone with emphysema to run a race.
CATperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you don't have any mods, disconnecting the wastegate actuator won't make any noticeable difference on a Powerstroke.
As CATperformance said, the wastegate is to prevent overboosting. It does not control how quick the turbo spools up. The stock fuel programming on a 7.3 isn't enough to cause a stock turbo to build any more than it's intended boost anyway.
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

The stock Ford waste gate actuator starts to open at 5 PSI. That is low and just a waste of boost. Disabling the stock waste gate won't make a noticable seat of the pants difference, it won't build boost any quicker, it also won't make your fuel milage go down unless your right foot helps out and you won't overboost like out of control. Why would you want to keep your boost 25ish? Towing or hot rodding? Stock you really have to be towing hard or running hard to get it there. Doesn't it pull a code and defuel? Anytime you ask youself am I hurting something you probably know the answer, if you aren't hurting something already you are risking something. That OK I just like to have a good reason when I do it
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof6 View Post
The stock Ford waste gate actuator starts to open at 5 PSI. That is low and just a waste of boost. Disabling the stock waste gate won't make a noticable seat of the pants difference, it won't build boost any quicker, it also won't make your fuel milage go down unless your right foot helps out and you won't overboost like out of control. Why would you want to keep your boost 25ish? Towing or hot rodding? Stock you really have to be towing hard or running hard to get it there. Doesn't it pull a code and defuel? Anytime you ask youself am I hurting something you probably know the answer, if you aren't hurting something already you are risking something. That OK I just like to have a good reason when I do it
From everything I'm reading and my own experience it's purpose is best suited to cold weather. Someone attempting to say the only purpose of a waste gate is to build up heat in the cab of a truck really doesn't know jack about how things work and why. I honestly don't know allot about these trucks which is why I am here BUT I do know the electronics do know what they are doing, do perform the way they are suppose to, it's hard to fool them into doing things and that forces you straight back to basics of how an engine runs efficiently. Electronics compensate for allot of idiots lack of knowledge of synergy. You can run over large straight pipes too but doing that past the elbow only impresses clueless idiots.
CATperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

CAT- I think you are confusing the wastegate with the EBP valve. EBPV creates back pressure to aid warm up, wastegate limits turbo boost.
Oneof6- the stock wastegate does open at 5 psi pressure from the wastegate solenoid- it does NOT open at 5 psi boost. The PCM determines at what manifold pressure the solenoid is activated.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel486 View Post
CAT- I think you are confusing the wastegate with the EBP valve. EBPV creates back pressure to aid warm up, wastegate limits turbo boost.
Oneof6- the stock wastegate does open at 5 psi pressure from the wastegate solenoid- it does NOT open at 5 psi boost. The PCM determines at what manifold pressure the solenoid is activated.
Ok, I was told the opposite here on the forum several years ago. However, there has to be a parallel between boost produced and wastegate opening. Do you know what that stock set point is? Anyway I have tried disconnecting mine and it makes no noticible difference in normal driving. So for the OP, the way you are rigged stock there it no reason to do it IMO.
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I also have heard wastegate starts opening at 5psi. Does it open mechanically from 5 psi boost? Cause if it starts dumping boost so early there must b some way to make small adjustment, maybe install stiffer wastegate spring? I had a Garrett 60 trim on my car, and I put stiffer spring in. Not sure if this would all make sense

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The red line is mechanical input to the wastegate, regardless of what the electronics want or expect, correct?
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

The PCM starts to open the wastegate at about 20 psi. The way it operates the actuator is via the pressure switch with the red plastic line. It takes 5 psi pressure to move the actuator rod. This is control pressure, not boost pressure.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

It starts to open the waste gate early in the boost cycle until it fully opens at 20 psi. It's a linear actuation, not a solenoid. You lose a small bit of boost as it opens the gate. You will notice a couple psi higher boost when the red line is disconnected plus it builds faster.
audiocontr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

The actuator is a linear rod, it is controlled by air pressure through a solenoid controlled by the PCM. (Just follow the red line back from the actuator) It STARTS to open at about 20 psi boost. Disconnecting the red line from the wastegate actuator may give you a little more boost, but it will NOT build boost quicker.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
So it sounds like the red line pressure is like a relief valve to supplement the PCM command just in case it's not enough, like a spike in boost pressure?
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
So it sounds like the red line pressure is like a relief valve to supplement the PCM command just in case it's not enough, like a spike in boost pressure?
The red line to the actuator is an assist in opening. It works agains the spring in the actuator. The PCM command either connects the actuator to the boost tap to the intake (atmospheric pressure). In the latter position, only the spring in the actuator has any affect on the wastgate, making it harder for the exhaust pressure to push it open when exhaust pressure (not boost) builds. When boost pressure is connected to the actuator, increased boost opens the wastegate, thus bypassing exhaust (drive) pressure around the turbine wheel and reducing the speed of the turbo and capacity to build boost on the compressor side.

There's a program in the PCM that decides under what conditions the boost port is connected to the actuator. I'm guessing, but it probably looks at Accelerator Pedal Position, Boost (MAP), and a few other things.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I ran mine unhooked for years. The only time the boost alarm went off on my monitor was when I was pulling a camper uphill and hard on the throttle. In normal driving circumstances even flooring the truck I would have to change gears before I ever made 25psi.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.