pwm or non-pwm?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pwm or non-pwm??

is there an easy way to tell if my 4r100 transmission is pwm or non-pwm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM

My Photos: (1)
Re: pwm or non-pwm??

what does pwm mean?

NCH
2000 Ford F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, Long bed,
Isspro EV Guages on A-Pillar, Coolant change from Green to Gold to Red,
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

Pulse Width Modulated solenoid.

It is a way to control the solenoid. Earlier transmissions used a solenoid that was 100% off or 100% on. There was no in between. A PWM modulates how much time it is on and off. It can run almost any percentage on vs. off to control the output pressure.

The on/off solenoid was turned on, and the speed of the torque converter clutch apply was controlled by an orifice. The PWM system doesn't have an orifice in the circuit. The PCM controls the duty cycle of the solenoid to control the pressure to control the speed of the torque converter clutch.

Mark
Former Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 PM

My Photos: (4)

Utilizing PWM in a program can greatly diminish the snap when the T/C locks up. My current burns are not PWM, and lemme tell ya, it is obvious. Whenever the T/C locks, you know about it.

'03 F-250

'01 F-550
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 AM

Is there a way to identify if you have a PWM equipped 4r100? I have 1999 f-250 Superduty with the 6.8 gas engine. I am experiencing a very hard and delayed 2-3 up shift. When I connect my Snapon scanner it does not show the #3 solenoid turn on, but the other two do right before the trans shifts so I'm assuming I have a bad coil pack... Anybody have any input? Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 AM

Only solenoids 1 and 2 are used for shifting. Solenoid 3 controls the coast clutch and is only used when OD is turned off to create engine braking.

Nothing you've said in your post points to a bad solenoid. My guess is that you have a stuck 2-3 accumulator valve in the accumulator body.

To determine if you have a PWM torque converter clutch solenoid measure the resistance of the torque converter clutch solenoid. A PWM solenoid is around 5 ohms while an on/off is around 20 ohms.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:16 AM

Mark,
That the information I was needing, thank you, I will troubleshoot more this weekend, thank you very much!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:02 AM

Thanks again Mark, you were right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABurgess View Post
Mark,
That the information I was needing, thank you, I will troubleshoot more this weekend, thank you very much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Only solenoids 1 and 2 are used for shifting. Solenoid 3 controls the coast clutch and is only used when OD is turned off to create engine braking.

Nothing you've said in your post points to a bad solenoid. My guess is that you have a stuck 2-3 accumulator valve in the accumulator body.

To determine if you have a PWM torque converter clutch solenoid measure the resistance of the torque converter clutch solenoid. A PWM solenoid is around 5 ohms while an on/off is around 20 ohms.
Mark you were correct, I found two broken (int. clutch accum plunger spring & direct clutch accum plunger spring) and one missing spring ( int. clutch accum regulator valve spring)in the accumulator valve body.
I purchase a Transgo A40D HD-2 and replaced the springs with the ones from the kit and performed all the upgrades but the PWM bypass (everything I could do without pulling transmission). This fixed the hard 2-3 up shift I was experiencing.... But now the transmission shutters when going into reverse. If I hold my foot on the brake in reverse and rev up the engine it doesn't slip and once the rpm's are up the shuttering stops, any thoughts?

On another subject I have seen your post on several other forums and websites, you definitely have helped a lot of people and go above and beyond, it great to know people with your talent and knowledge not only exist but are willing to share and coach people. Thank you!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:37 AM

If the shuddering started since installing the kit I have to suspect something in the kit caused it.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.