Quick way to check fuel pressure F250 1999 7.3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick way to check fuel pressure F250 1999 7.3

I have a 1999 7.3 Powerstroke F250. I'm not a super experienced diesel guy, so I'm not claiming that this is the best way to check fuel pressure, but it worked for me so I thought i would share it.

I didn't want to cut into my fuel system so I connected a hose -- the blue hose in the pictures -- (about 3 foot of 3/8 high pressure hose) to the fuel filter purge tube. The purge tube can be found by looking behind passenger front tire, you can see a tube that just hangs down. When you flip the yellow switch behind the fuel filter assembly, the fuel dumps down this tube.

First of all, having a hose there is a good idea so you can catch fuel when you purge the bowl. Second, it is a handy place to check pressure.

So I went to Home Depot and got a pressure gauge for 8 bucks, a couple of brass fittings to adapt to 3/8 hose, and some hose clamps. Also I used the goop that you put on these connections to keep them air tight -- I think it's called thread sealant.

I turned on the truck with this assembly all hooked up, and when I was ready I opened the purge valve on the fuel filter assembly. At first there was no pressure reading but over the next minute or so I watched it climb to 60 PSI. I suspect that the pressure was negligible at the beginning because there was air in the lines and it took a few secs to build up the pressure and spread it out.

When I was done I left the hose connected for future use, but i used zip ties to keep it out of the way.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick way to check fuel pressure F250 1999 7.3-img_1604.jpg   Quick way to check fuel pressure F250 1999 7.3-img_1605.jpg   Quick way to check fuel pressure F250 1999 7.3-img_1606.jpg  
veggiebenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does this sound like an accurate reading? I'm about to check my fuel pressure, and I need to spend as little as possible, and this seems to be a quick and easy method. Is the reading responsive enough to pick up on changes when revving? Thanks, guys.
305x70x16 Terra's on 16x8 Vision Wheels
brettdacosta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
NYB

My Photos: (7)
subscribed
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
The downside of that method is that the metal tube is connected to the drain valve with a rubber hose section with no clamps. If it blows off while you're testing you'll have a valley full of fuel.

The positive way to check fuel pressure is to use one of the boss o-ring plugs on the back of the filter housing, adapting to a hose fitting and gauge. You do have to drain the fuel bowl to make the connection, but at least that won't fill up the valley with fuel.

The hose on the drain is a good idea, though, because you can use it when draining the filter to catch the fuel instead of dumping it on your front axle housing.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Getting fuel or oil in the valley is one thing, but getting fuel sprayed into the airbox of the environment controls is another. You will never get that smell out, and you will smell like diesel every time you drive it.
I would make sure the nipple on the drain valve is cleaned and put a hose clamp on it.

AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The downside of that method is that the metal tube is connected to the drain valve with a rubber hose section with no clamps. If it blows off while you're testing you'll have a valley full of fuel.
Had that happen to me when I was shimming the FPR spring. It got up to about 90psi before it blew off. I don't leave mine connected though. Laying in the tool box in a puddle of Marvel Mystery Oil.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

50 State + Canada Diesel Shops

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.