Ran rough, now won't start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ran rough, now won't start

Truck is late 99 7.3 auto with 155000 miles. Completely stock.

Truck was running great before I went on a business trip. It sat for 2 weeks in cold and wet conditions. When I returned, it started but the rpms oscillated like they do when you've run it out of fuel and have refilled, and I had a new SES light. It got me home, but was missing the whole ride home. Next day it started and continued to run rough. I let it warm up before driving. Before I left the subdivision, it lost almost all power, so I turned it around and took it home. Now I can't get it started. It coughs like it wants to start, but won't.

Did lots of searches here, and have done the following:

1. Drained fuel filter reservoir several times. Each time I turned the key, I get a good push of fuel. Fuel looked clean and water free.
2. Replaced fuel filter - seems to have good fuel pressure at this point.
3. Checked HPOP reservoir - oil 1/2 below top.
4. Removed IPC sensor, cleaned and reinstalled.
5. Tried starting with IPC unplugged. Engine seems to show some improvement here, but still won't start.
6. Removed IPR and serviced according to the "New Page 0" guidance. Didn't find anything sticky, but thoroughly cleaned everything and replaced the smaller o-ring. Neither o-ring looked damaged.

I have not pulled any codes, but my searches have led me to believe those are vague anyway. I don't have a scanner.

I guess I'm looking for the next step.

Thanks in advance.
Mberglo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
RT

With the SES light on, your best bet would be to find someone with a scanner that can pull you codes. You said it was wet - any chance your PCM got damp? I hear the early PSD's had trouble with leaky windshields. Any smoke when cranking?
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

When mine ran really rough with the SES on (it would start but only run on a few cylinders) the code reader spit out a lot of codes. The diesel mechanic figured the PCM could be bad which he was right. Recently that PCM has gone bad as well but it ran good just didn't want to start in the cold. Now the F250 with 275K miles is like new again.

Try running codes to see what comes up. Keed in mind if the PCM is bad it won't really say that in a code reader. I got the first one for $250 from a junk yard PSD. The one in the F250 now came out of the F350 and the one for the F350 was bought on here for $150 shipped, via a request in parts wanted forum.

IF you think you need a PCM I got a guy in my PM box who has one for sale for $140. Ford wants a lot of money for them.
02(12/01)Excursion PSD 4x4 Limited Ultimate No Boundaries Edition
00 BMW 328CI 2dr silver fully loaded
65 Mustang 289 V8 4brl, 69 GTO 400 4spd
04&09 PJ 15k dump trailers 04 H&H 9K tilt bed 98 Haulmark 7x14 enclosed 07 Dreamshak Hydraulic 20ft toy hauler/fish house.
86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've got a similar issue. My truck, if not plugged in, bellows smoke at startup. Clears up in less than a mile, but I'm fogging before that. Today, it won't get out of it's own way. I mean barely enough power to roll. I had an issue with a bad windshield about a year ago. Water definitely got into it, but once it dried, I didn't have any other issues. I have no check engine light, but can't drive it. Where should I start?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Update:

Found a buddy with a Snap-On scanner and pulled the codes.

P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low (disconnecting the ICP causes this)
P1670 EF feedback signal not detected
P1316 IDM codes detected
P1247 Turbo Boost Pressure Low

Read on this site about two potential causes.

1. Faulty IDM. People reported them getting wet and failing. This seemed to fit my description of the truck sitting in the rain for weeks.

2. UVCH connection. Connector under the valve cover comes loose.

My buddy thought I had a fried IDM, so he was going to find a loaner. After he left, I found on this site that you have to run a buzz test to collect the IDM codes. I pulled the IDM but it didn't look like the seal was damaged. My buddy showed up without an IDM, so we put mine back in and ran the buzz test. Codes out of the IDM

P1274 Open injector #4
P1294 Open injector bank (left side)

No P1298, which means IDM is faulty, and it appears we have a UVCH connector problem on the left side, and an apparent connection on the #4 injector on the right side.

We pulled the left valve cover and found the crooked, half connected harness. Wires looked great, but connector was loose. Pushed the connector back on, cleared IDM codes and reran buzz test. NO CODES PRESENT!!!

I didn't try to start it, but I'm sure it will start. I'm going to run by the Ford dealer and pick up the UCVH retainer clip kit 2C3Z-14A163-AB. I think I'll pull the right side valve cover just to complete the job. Better now than on the side of the road somewhere.

I appreciate this forum. I'm a carguy through and through, but these diesels are a different animal. I wanted to document the results so the next guy might find this be able to troubleshoot his problem to conclusion.

Thanks!

I'll report back again when it's all done.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I called the local Ford dealer. According to the parts guy, the retainer kit only does one side, it's $19, and it won't be here until tomorrow. So I'm thinking $40 and another day, or I can cut two quarters and fix it tonight. I want to make sure it's done right, but always feel like I'm being "had" when I call the parts counter.

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ISBB Send a message via MSN to ISBB Send a message via Yahoo to ISBB
spend 50 cents and a evening and get er done
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Update: Truck is running.

I ended up using part of a large zip tie, slid under the arms of the retainer, and secured it with Ultra Black RTV to make sure it didn't come dislodged. Truck is running fine now.

I plan to do the passenger side next so I don't find myself stranded somewhere.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.