Real Cold Start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Real Cold Start

It was 6 degrees out this morning. Went to start the truck early so the drive to church would be warmer. Boy what a chore. The truck sounded like it was in mud lugging at 500 RPMs. It fired but sounded real pissed for bothering it in the cold. Oil change is due so maybe this will help out some.

Dug out the block heater wires. They were still in factory wrap never used till now. Rather than put the truck thru the lugging I figure a lil warm up on the real cold days will keep it running a few more hours or years.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

AE scanner in the Inland Empire Sunny So Cal.

Autoenginuity

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'd be mad too if you tried to get me started at 6! We just had a cold front roll through. Dropped it from the mid 80 down into the 60s - time to break out the electric blanket! I've got a lot of respect for you guys. I don't mind telling you I'd die my first winter where you live.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
Oh my 6F...... really?
Try the 6 good months in Alaska where 6F is a heat wave.
Light weight oil will help along with a good set of glow plugs and the relay if the truck has one.
Might also be time for a bra on the front of the truck.
A little trick that I learned while I was dealing with glow plugs that where on the way out and an alternator that was question able .. double cycle the plugs. ie wait the two minutes and then wait another 2 minutes and the van would start up.
Now that the temps are getting below 15F I still do the double cycle and she starts up no problem,, that and the light weight oil.
Now when it gets below 0F I will plug it in for about 90 minutes and it is even happier and I can do the single cycle on the plugs.
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes I know folks living near Tok (??) and they never turn off the car for fear the fuel freezes or something silly.

6 is cold anywhere. The only problem seems to be slow cranking. Batteries are new but an off brand, oil is old and due for a change. I believe the only problem is cold cranking slow. I plan to clean the connections to ensure a better ground and check conditions of cables. New batteries on the list when I can afford quality. I just bought a tool shop so money is tight.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

Autoenginuity

Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Make sure that the Alternator is in top shape, a weak alternator is death too the batteries, and in cool or cold weather it can be the difference between getting started and finding a charger to charge the batteries to get going.
Having an alternator go out while on the road is not a good thing either, had that happen years ago 100 miles short of Fairbanks and it was -35F that night.

Fresh oil is another good idea..

Life with the cold like here in Alaska , even in south central or just south of Anchorage is some thing that either one learns to deal with and roll with or one moves to a warmer area..
Cold does have away of showing one the faults of the rig and what needs to be fixed.
Another little trick is one of the heating pads, about a 6x6 on the oil pan. It can help when plugging in the truck when it is well below freezing in getting oil temp up for better flow through the engine and the HPOP..
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tips for PSD in cold weather

1)5w-40 synthetic Oil
2)good batterys and connections
3)good glow plug relay
4)good glow plugs and connections under VC and at VC connection
5)count to 20 after the "wait to start" light shuts off, then bend the key.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
RT

Well, again - I'm no expert on cold weather but here are a couple of ideas. "You'se guys" who deal with this feel free to shoot them down. Would a trickle charger permanently installed be a good idea? They draw next to no current and would keep the batteries topped off overnight. Do they make battery warmers? If one was to wire such a critter into the same plug (I assume you all have the Marinco mod) as the block heater and both were run for a couple of hours before starting - theoretically, you'd have more starting amperage.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
RT

OK - I went and looked. We're going to call this the RT mod.

Kat's 22200 80 Watt 36" Battery Thermal Wrap : Amazon.com : Automotive Kat's 22200 80 Watt 36" Battery Thermal Wrap : Amazon.com : Automotive

Two of these suckers in place of that cheesy wrap that came with the truck. Wire them both into the back of your Marinco mod along with your block heater - plugged into a timer that runs for two hours before starting.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

All great ideas. Best note was the cold brings out the faults. I now know my batteries are weak but will work. Oil needs changing but it is due anyways. Alt and batteries checked good when it was warm it is just the cold putting extra load on the system. With great connections and fresh strong batteries I know there will be no problems. Most important at 6 degrees I even did not want to be outside. The block heater on a timer in the mornings will help out alot. Heater pads on the battery and oil pan would be great if it was always cold like with the durable folks in Alaska. For me the garage is soon to be empty and the truck will have a warmer place to park. The block heater will be enough for now.

I also used to use a 60 watt light sitting on the floor under the oilpan. I used this with dogs and puppies before and it also worked well to give light heat to the truck. It did not work as well as the block heater but it was a lot cheaper. Inside the garage it works great on my lil 1.6TD VW motor.

Autoenginuity

Old 11-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

The trickle charger is one of the items that I have wired in and can be used for times that the temps are well below the 0 F .
But having a fully working Alternator, good batteries, 5/40 oil, good anti-freeze for low temps, good glow plugs should be able to deal with temps above 10F.
Getting blow some of the things that will help from what I have found.
Oil pan heater, block heater, front cover, trickle charger.
I have gone round with a few about what should be used, and what I am using is from years of having to deal with the cold, and not what some engineer who deals with the cold for maybe a month state side says is in the book.

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
Old 11-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just did a 5w-40 oil change.

One year, through a hookup, I got a 5 gallon bucket of caterpillar 0w-30 Arctic DEO for free.

That alone changed the way the truck started up, but at $300 or more per bucket, not a solution for everyone unless you plan on making it through the entire winter without an oil change.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.