Rear Diff Lube Type And How Much To Buy??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Diff Lube Type And How Much To Buy???

I need to change the diff lube in my 99 F250, what type and viscosity gear oil is recommended and how much does it hold? Also if you change the pinion seal is there a crush sleeve that would need replaced?

RETIRED: 99 F250 2WD LARIAT CREW CAB, 3.73,NMN1 REFLASH WITH "MILD" ASE MECHANIC PROGRAM (TOTALLY AWESOME) TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT W/LATE MODEL SERVO PACK FROM BRIAN's, BILSTEIN, AIS AIR FILTER ASSEMBLY, PILLAR W/BOOST & PYRO, DUAL FUEL BY-PASS CIRCUITS W/AEROMOTIVE REGULATOR AND RESTRICTED RETURNS @ HEADS, "HUTCH MOD" FUEL SUPPLY AND TANK MODS, 2002 INNERCOOLER W/ENGINE BLOW-BY RE-ROUTED, OWNER FABRICATED 4" TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH BIG RIG MUFFLER, Q-FORMS W/DYNAUDIO FT., FOCAL DRIVERS IN CUSTOM ENCLOSURES REAR, JL AUDIO STEALTH BOX, ADCOM & NAKAMICHI AMPS, CLARION PRO HEAD UNIT, LINE X BED LINER, ROLL N LOCK COVER, 01 LARIAT WHEELS, LED'S IN OVERHEAD CONSOLE, LIGHTS OVER RUNNING BOARDS & IN BED http://community.webshots.com/user/hutchinaugusta</span>
hutchinaugusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: Rear Diff Lube Type And How Much To Buy???

About 3.5 quarts of synthetic 75-140.

Check out Guzzles site for some good info on changing the diff oil.

I am not sure on the crush sleeve?
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hutch,

I would strongly urge you to consider replacing the differential cover plate with an aftermarket cover like the Mag Hytec or equivalent. I regret not doing so with mine the first time I changed the gear oil. The OEM cover has no drain plug; the aftermarket covers have drain plugs and some have temperature sensor ports. You'll have to pull the cover off, which isn't the tidiest of draining procedures, and you'll have to re-install one cover or another with the appropriate RTV sealant.

To do a full differential oil change, you'll also need to drain the axle ends.

I was shocked to learn that AutoZone wouldn't recycle my waste gear oil. Walmart accepted it, though.

May your road stay clear & dry, may your fuel never gel, and may you never be outsmarted by your idiot lights.

2002 F-250 XLT SC LB 4x4 7.3PSD 6-Sp 3.73 L-S, Snugtop Snuglid Tonneau, 235/85 MC HTRs, <span style="color: red">DPTuner F5</span> AFE Stg II, Turbo LifeSaver, MAP BRV, Autometer Cobalts, Magnaflow 4", WW, TAG, AIH del, CCV, AirDog, In-tank, Harpoon, HPX, ITP fuel sys, LL8 del, 203*, Oilguard & SP Diesel bypass filtration, ART rotors, PFC pads, Heater Core Ctl Valve, Bilsteins, Velvet Ride Shackles, South Bend Clutch, <span style="color: green">21.27 mpg</span>

2004 <span style="color: red">E</span>-350
XLT Wagon 6.0PSD 3.55 L-S TDM EZ-Entry 11 pass., AIC, custom MBRP 4" w/dual Aeroturbines, Airdog, harpoon, Overhead Cobalts
Pictures . . . Parts Links
DarthSurplus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hutchinaugusta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to change the diff lube in my 99 F250, what type and viscosity gear oil is recommended and how much does it hold? Also if you change the pinion seal is there a crush sleeve that would need replaced? </div></div>

Hutch, 3.5 quarts of 75W140 Synthetic, cheaper at NAPA, and usually about 4 ounces of friction modifier for limited slip applications. Can be as much as 8 ounces, you want just enough in there so it doesn't chatter when turning circles. I get all my stuff at NAPA, cheaper and same # spec as the Ford stuff. Changing the differenetial lube is a good time to do an inspection. There should be very few shiny metal flakes in the differential. Very bad to have a lot, say more than a few tablespoons and ultra bad to have two kinds of metal, shiny and darker bits. Gear contact areas should be smooth, no chips missing no excessive wear. If you plan on a lube change and pinion seal replacement this is what I do on my truck. When you change the pinion seal the crush sleeve on the pinion shaft doesn't have to be necessarily replaced. Replacing the pinioin shaft crush sleeve requires a comlete differential gear set removal/ tear down to get down to it. Most people want to avoid that just to replace a pinion seal. This is what I would do with that. The premis is that the crush sleeve is set as is correct and if held or returned to the same torque it will get or keep the pinion bearing pre-load at the same position. I don;t like assumptions but the only alternative is to tear the set down, so usually a reasonable risk to make that qualified assumption. To do that this is what I would do. Of course a Master Mechanic like yourself doesn't need to be reminded to work safely. Drop the drive shaft. Take the hub axle retainer bolts out. Pull the axles out about 6 " or all the way out to inspect their o-ring seal. Take the differential cover off and check the gear set backlash and gear condition while you have it open. With the axles out put an inch pound torque wrench on the pinion yoke nut and check the amount of torque it takes to get the gear set to just rotate. That is your base line number and the number that you want to work back to. Some don't think that pulling the axles is required but I do, you want that number to be as close as possible to free rotation. Make a holding device, I made one from a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the yoke, that holds the roll, and remove the pinion nut, then remove the pinion yoke and seal. Replace the seal and put a new nut on the shaft to pull the yoke on. A new nut is required to seal well it has a line of selant on it that rubs off, they are pretty cheap. You will be able to estimate by the threads when you get it close enough to tell when to start measuring. Final adjustment; Using the holding device torque the pinion nut a little, just a few degrees, at a time. You will have to put it on, tighten the nut while holding the yoke, then take the angle off and check the differential gear set rotation. When you start getting close only do this in maybe 30 degree increments. What you don't want to do is over tighten the nut resulting in crushing the already set crush sleeve more. Or, an overly loose pinion shaft will unload the pinion bearings but result in changing engagement on axis of the pinion to the ring gear. So this asjustment is a slow process of getting it right, not to tight, not to loose. One might get the pinion bearings so tight that way that a differential tear down would be required. Or premature failure of the pinion bearings and cascading damage to the gear set could happen. When you get the gear set free rotation back to the base line number put everything back together, lube the drive shaft splines and proceed with the differential lube change. I scoff, Haa!, that is me scoffing, when so called professionals tell me that this procedure can be done with an impact wrench. What they mean is that they don't have the time, talent or care that the pinion bearings that they cause to fail in 15K miles because they only warranty 12K or so. Good luck, good to see you posting again.
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just did the rear and put in Royal Purple which has the friction modifier in it.
I changed the cover to the new Ford 08 finned aluminum cover, about $40 and used a hand pump to refill it.
I got the pump (used to refill the lower unit of outboards)and the Royal Purple at Pep Boys.
Took about 45 minutes to do, including dropping the spare tire.
I never thought about removing the axels, maybe next time.
Stock. Replaced #1 Injector/harness, Starter Relay,CPS(twice), GPR, VSS, S-Belt, Alternator H2O Pump. AIS Severe Duty Filter, Switched 10K MOD, Bilsteins, Heater shutoff valve, Rotella Syn, Nitto TG's 305/55 on Eagle 20x10's, Mobil 1 ATF,Walker BTM, Optima Redtops,Mesa, Arizona
PRDATR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

"I changed the cover to the new Ford 08 finned aluminum cover, about $40 and used a hand pump to refill it"

Did the new cover only cost $40.00??!! Do you have a part #

RETIRED: 99 F250 2WD LARIAT CREW CAB, 3.73,NMN1 REFLASH WITH "MILD" ASE MECHANIC PROGRAM (TOTALLY AWESOME) TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT W/LATE MODEL SERVO PACK FROM BRIAN's, BILSTEIN, AIS AIR FILTER ASSEMBLY, PILLAR W/BOOST & PYRO, DUAL FUEL BY-PASS CIRCUITS W/AEROMOTIVE REGULATOR AND RESTRICTED RETURNS @ HEADS, "HUTCH MOD" FUEL SUPPLY AND TANK MODS, 2002 INNERCOOLER W/ENGINE BLOW-BY RE-ROUTED, OWNER FABRICATED 4" TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH BIG RIG MUFFLER, Q-FORMS W/DYNAUDIO FT., FOCAL DRIVERS IN CUSTOM ENCLOSURES REAR, JL AUDIO STEALTH BOX, ADCOM & NAKAMICHI AMPS, CLARION PRO HEAD UNIT, LINE X BED LINER, ROLL N LOCK COVER, 01 LARIAT WHEELS, LED'S IN OVERHEAD CONSOLE, LIGHTS OVER RUNNING BOARDS & IN BED http://community.webshots.com/user/hutchinaugusta</span>
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRDATR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just did the rear and put in Royal Purple which has the friction modifier in it.
I changed the cover to the new Ford 08 finned aluminum cover, about $40 and used a hand pump to refill it.
I got the pump (used to refill the lower unit of outboards)and the Royal Purple at Pep Boys.
Took about 45 minutes to do, including dropping the spare tire.
I never thought about removing the axels, maybe next time. </div></div>Why did you drop the spare?
ELLIOT02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hutchinaugusta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I changed the cover to the new Ford 08 finned aluminum cover, about $40 and used a hand pump to refill it"

Did the new cover only cost $40.00??!! Do you have a part # </div></div>Yes. Look on Powerstrokeshop.com
ELLIOT02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hutchinaugusta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the new cover only cost $40.00??!! Do you have a part # </div></div>

Nah, you've been AWOL for a while, so it will cost you more. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Part number is 8C3Z4033A

Surf to http://www.powerstrokeshop.com and search on the part number

I installed mine a few weeks ago. It's not a Mag-Hytec, but it's a lot better than the stock diff cover for my '99.5

Following are the words for the pinion seal job. First step is to remove the drive pinion flange, so I'll include that too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: workshop manual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1999 F-Super Duty 250-550 Workshop Manual
SECTION 205-02D: Rear Drive Axle/Differential Ford 10.50-Inch Ring Gear
IN-VEHICLE REPAIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinion Seal

Special Tool(s) Pinion Seal Replacer
205-208 (T83T-4676-A)

Removal

Remove the pinion flange. For additional information, refer to Drive Pinion Flange in this section.

Force up on the metal flange of the rear axle drive pinion seal (4676). Install gripping pliers to the seal flange and strike with a hammer until the rear axle drive pinion seal is removed.

Installation

Lubricate the new pinion seal.
Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.
CAUTION: If the rear axle drive pinion seal becomes misaligned during installation, remove the rear axle drive pinion seal and replace it with a new seal.

Use the Pinion Seal Replacer to install the rear axle drive pinion seal.

Install the pinion flange. For additional information, refer to Drive Pinion Flange in this section.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1999 F-Super Duty 250-550 Workshop Manual
SECTION 205-02D: Rear Drive Axle/Differential Ford 10.50-Inch Ring Gear
IN-VEHICLE REPAIR
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Drive Pinion Flange

Special Tool(s) 2-Jaw Puller
205-D026 (D80L-1002-L) or Equivalent
Companion Flange Replacer
205-233 (T85T-4851-AH)
Flange Holder
205-012 (T57T-4851-B)

Removal

NOTE: The rear wheels and brake calipers must be removed to prevent brake drag during drive pinion bearing preload adjustment.

Remove the rear brake calipers. For additional information, refer to Section 206-04 .

Remove the driveshaft (4602). For additional information, refer to Section 205-01 .

Install a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench on the pinion nut, and record the rotational torque required to maintain rotation of the pinion through several revolutions.

CAUTION: After removal of the pinion nut, discard it. A new nut must be used for installation.

Use the Flange Holder to hold the pinion flange while removing the pinion nut.

Mark the pinion flange in relation to the drive pinion stem to ensure proper alignment during installation.

Use the 2-Jaw Puller to remove the pinion flange.

Installation

Lubricate the pinion flange splines.
Use SAE 75W-140 High Performance Rear Axle Lubricant F1TZ-19580-B or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSL-M2C192-A.
NOTE: Disregard the scribe marks if a new pinion flange is being installed.

Align the pinion flange with the drive pinion shaft.

With the pinion flange in place in the rear axle housing (4010), install the pinion flange using the Companion Flange Replacer.

Position the new pinion nut.

CAUTION: Under no circumstances is the pinion nut to be backed off to reduce preload. If reduced preload is required, a new collapsible spacer and pinion nut must be installed.

Use the Flange Holder to hold the pinion flange while tightening the pinion nut.

Tighten the pinion nut, rotating the pinion occasionally to make sure the cone and roller bearings are seating properly. Take frequent cone and roller bearing torque preload readings until the original recorded preload reading is obtained by rotating the pinion with a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench.

If the original recorded preload is lower than specifications, tighten to the appropriate specification for used bearings. If the preload is higher than specification, tighten the nut to the original reading as recorded. Refer to Torque Specifications in this section.

Install the driveshaft. For additional information, refer to Section 205-01 .

Install the brake calipers. For additional information, refer to Section 206-04 .

</div></div>

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is this the correct cover for my 99 also ???

http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/partl...&catalogid=4411

Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
RDG

My Photos: (16)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hutchinaugusta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this the correct cover for my 99 also ???

http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/partl...&catalogid=4411 </div></div>

Yes
NRA Member
Retired UAW 383
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

FWIW, you need longer bolts for the 08 cover also.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L, 4x4, LB, SRW, Crew Cab, 3.73's, BTS Trans "BTS BUBBA" , 6.0 tranny cooler, DP Tuner NS, stock, 60HP tow, 80HP econo, Autometer Ultralites on pillar & cubby, Ford AIS w/Zoodad, '08 Aluminum Diff. Cover, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Heated Tow Mirrors, Warn Premium hubs, AIH Delete, Go's Headlight Harness, IC Foil Delete, Homemade CCV mod. The Silver Bullitt

My Truck Pics

2006 33' Courgar 5'er W/4 wheelers in tow
2003 Explorer XLT - Mom's Taxi
1990 Honda - the 27 MPG daily beater
1967 Mustang FB on blocks - my other toy
ponyboychris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ponyboychris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, you need longer bolts for the 08 cover also. </div></div>

Yes. The longer bolts were included with my cover. The new bolts with mine had a different head = allen head instead of hex head. So be sure you have a big allen wench that will fit the bolts before you remove the old bolts. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneof6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you change the pinion seal the crush sleeve on the pinion shaft doesn't have to be necessarily replaced. Replacing the pinioin shaft crush sleeve requires a comlete differential gear set removal/ tear down to get down to it.</div></div>First part is correct, but replacing the crush sleeve doesn't require a complete teardown to do unless the inside pinion bearing is rough. The crush sleeve is just behind the outer pinion bearing, and can be replaced by pulling the outer bearing and crush sleeve out, then slipping a new crush sleeve in followed by the bearing, then resetting the bearing pinion preload by tightening the nut on the yoke.

The only time you'd need to replace the crush sleeve is if you're replacing bearings, or if you overtightened the nut and got too much preload turning torque.

Like Oneof6 said, the proper procedure is with the impact wrench laying on the bench disconnected from the air line.

Good luck
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

a timely topic! I was under my truck yesterday and noticed that diff fluid was 'slung' up around the bottom of the bed, on the muffler, etc and the bottom of the cover was damp. I checked the drain plug on the cover (its one of the aftermarket, finned, hi-cap types) and it was tight and appeared leak-free.

Is that a leak from my pinion seal? I read the above posts and I dont feel qualified to tackle this myself. What would a reasonable shop charge to replace the seal?
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.