The Diesel Stop banner

ReBuild or RePlace Turbo

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  thecheesemannn 
#1 ·
this is a reman turbo with 8k on it and out of warranty so this is on me. on the way to work it spooled up and made a terrible sound then on the way home it started smokiong pretty bad and even worse on decel. total distance traveled with this condition was maybe 50 miles, unreal the bad luck ive had with this new reman motor from catapillar. this just in a long string of probs since i put it in back in aug 2011.. thanks

#2 ·
I suggest you rebuild it. I would look really hard at the bearings and oil passageways as you disassemble it. If you find plugs of silicone, you have bigger issues. A new or a rebuild will cost you considerably more than rebuilding your own.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
ok, i,ll get it out this saturday and order the kit tonight......

what exactly fails on these turbo's and how do they fail/break...just wondering because as i said b4, this unit has less than 8k on it when it went away

i havent looked yet but im sure theres a thread here that can walk me through the rebuild

thanks again fellas

#5 ·
Here's where I would get it - you can get bolts / pedestal o-rings - everything in one box. At the bottom of the page are directions - step by step.

Garrett GTP38 Turbo Rebuild kit

#6 ·
thanks RT
i feel confident i can do this, got the time got the tools

but why/what would have caused this to fail?
could there be deeper issues that i need to be aware of?

for $74 i dont think im getting hurt too bad, alot less than a used reman or (my wish list) <---- ball bearing turbo

#7 ·
I would order the replacement bolt kit with your rebuild kit. I had to use allen bolts to replace two of the 12pts that got stripped. Also, make sure you have an 8mm 12pt socket and plenty of penetrating oil to soak your bolts/turbo before you even start removal. I wasted a day trying to find the proper socket(used a standard but it didn't grip as well as the 8mm) and replacement bolts that'd work.

#8 ·
When I rebuilt mine... I found the drive wheel had been chewed up badly. I did buy that exact same kit, and it certainly got better.... But I eventually bought the center cartredge from Riffraff. That was significantly cheaper than buying a new one and it worked great.

Sent from my Verizon 4G-LTE smart phone using Autoguide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.