replacing fuel bowl heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replacing fuel bowl heater

I need to replace the fuel bowl heater in the early 99 psd. have the new one in hand.

now wondering about replacement procedures and if there are O Rings or what to seal up the wire entry point.

If you can stear me to a how to I would appreciate it.

Dave
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

If all you are doing is pulling the heater, you just pull the wires on the inside with needle nose pliers. You don't have to pull the WIF sensor / heater connector off the bowl. The heater has two #20 TORX screws holding it down. Pull those out, pull out the heater, and replace.

Keep one finger on that black "tower" in the center - it can pop up once the heater is loose. If it does come apart, you can just put it back together when you go to reinstall. There are some pictures in this link: http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/FuelBowlRebuild.pdf
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

Last edited by RT; 02-24-2012 at 05:22 PM.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks RT, a pic is worth a thousand words.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was having a problem with fuse #22 on my 97 PSD and this thread helped me narrow it down to the fuel bowl heater. I drained the fuel in the bowl and unplugged the heater, changed out the filter (which was due) and the truck started without blowing the fuse. Now on to the issue. My heater does not look like the one in the link. It has a hex attachment at the bottom of the black tower and looks like a slotted plate that goes round the circumference of the bottom of the bowl. The little wire hasps were shorted out so I knew I had my culprit right when I drained the fuel. How do I get to that hex nut with the tower in the way?...it's deeper than my deepest socket from the looks of it. Thanks, Ben (Sullied Diesel)
Sullied Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
RT

Sullied - you will likely get more help if you start a new post in the antique truck section - Power Strokes 1994-1997 General - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullied Diesel View Post
I was having a problem with fuse #22 on my 97 PSD and this thread helped me narrow it down to the fuel bowl heater. I drained the fuel in the bowl and unplugged the heater, changed out the filter (which was due) and the truck started without blowing the fuse. Now on to the issue. My heater does not look like the one in the link. It has a hex attachment at the bottom of the black tower and looks like a slotted plate that goes round the circumference of the bottom of the bowl. The little wire hasps were shorted out so I knew I had my culprit right when I drained the fuel. How do I get to that hex nut with the tower in the way?...it's deeper than my deepest socket from the looks of it. Thanks, Ben (Sullied Diesel)
Fuel bowl is different on the OBS trucks. There was something I recall about the center post being left handed threads to remove. You can probably unscrew the center post with some water pump pliers. Check with the guys down in the 94-97 Powerstroke General Forum.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Sullied - you will likely get more help if you start a new post in the antique truck section - Power Strokes 1994-1997 General - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
If a '94 PSD is an antique, what's that make the IDI?

Sullied: all the information that I have access to shows the same heater that RT linked to. Kevin mentioned that you may have to remove the center piece..
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks all, I saw on one of the parts sites that the thread was left hand...saved me a bit of grouching. I'll assume the newer heater superseded the plate type and will fit my bowl because several sites list it for the older trucks as well. Thanks again for all your help, this one thread saved me from having to flatbed it to the diesel guru's for a 15 minute job.
Sullied Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
does the fuel filter housing need to be removed to replace the fuel bowl heater?
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
RT

Not at all. Two bolts and a push on wire. The directions are on this page - http://www.dieselorings.com/1999-200...r-element.html

They are for the full fuel bowl rebuild, but you can just do the part that pertains to the truck you are working on. This does NOT apply to the truck in your signature. This is for the 99-03 7.3 engine. If you are talking about your 06, you'll need to post that question to the 6.doh experts.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Your post is in the 99 and up to 2003 7.3 PSD. If your 6.0 fuel bowl is the same as the 99 up, then it's a simple matter to change the heater. Pull the filter out, see two screws at the bottom, disconnect the two wires with needle nose, I don't think you have to pull the center tower out, if you do, it may be left hand threads. Did mine (99) two yrs. ago so don't remember. IIRC the two screws were #20 torx.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
Actually I was working on a shop truck. Its a early 99. The 6.0 dosent have a fuel bowl heater btw. The element came out easily. Two t20 torx bolts. I got 4 of the glow plugs done today and should rap up the other half tomorrow. Hopefully she will be good as new when im done
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.