right front axle seal leaking - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
right front axle seal leaking

The passenger side front axle seal is leaking. Can someone point me to some directions on how to replace myself? or is it to involved for a backyard mechanic? i have it down to the knuckel..is there a c clip behind the diferential cover? HELP!
Y2K F350 Lariat, Born on 01-00, CC, 4x4, DRW, LB, White, 6spd Short Shift, Hutched, Pre-Pump, HX, Pooned, DI Fuel Reg, GPT38R BB, EBPV Delete, Swamps 200cc Single Shot Hybrids, 4" Exaust Straight Piped, Bilstien shocks, Jordan Brake Controller, B&W Flip Hitch, Timbren Load Springs on rear, Zoodad, Donaldson Filter, TS Performance stock-high-idle-60-80-100-140, Pillar IssPro Gauges,
Riley coolant filter, Evans Coolant, 203T-Stat, SP Performance EBP sensor, CCV Mod to atmosphere, MileMarker hubs, South Bend Con OFE, Ranchhand front bumper, Hillsboro aluminum flatbed ...!!!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: right front axle seal leaking

I understand that this is the axle seal at the differential that we are discussing?

There is no C-clip in the differential though the large seals at the knuckle can fit very tight (I recommend changing these and servicing the spindle bearings since it will all be apart, anyway). Both front axle shafts will have to be removed as will the diff cover and the front carrier ass'y. Do NOT mix up the bearting cups NOR the side bearing shims.... The caps in the diff fit only one way (though they will go in several diffeerent wrong ways) and it can be difficult to install the side bearing shims without breaking them.

Once you have it all apart, replace both axle seals at the same time to avoid a repeat performance. Make sure the housing vent is free of obstructions. Installing the seals without the special tool can be a real PITA tnough many have devised work-arounds.... speaking of work-arounds, there is a plastic guide in each axle tube to assist in installing the drive axles... if this guide is damaged or missing, the resulting frustrations can send you postal in short order.

HTH.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

no it is at the end of the axle towards the rotor.
Y2K F350 Lariat, Born on 01-00, CC, 4x4, DRW, LB, White, 6spd Short Shift, Hutched, Pre-Pump, HX, Pooned, DI Fuel Reg, GPT38R BB, EBPV Delete, Swamps 200cc Single Shot Hybrids, 4" Exaust Straight Piped, Bilstien shocks, Jordan Brake Controller, B&W Flip Hitch, Timbren Load Springs on rear, Zoodad, Donaldson Filter, TS Performance stock-high-idle-60-80-100-140, Pillar IssPro Gauges,
Riley coolant filter, Evans Coolant, 203T-Stat, SP Performance EBP sensor, CCV Mod to atmosphere, MileMarker hubs, South Bend Con OFE, Ranchhand front bumper, Hillsboro aluminum flatbed ...!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

There are 2 seals there.

One is the actual hub seal and rides right next to the hub bearing and is about the size of a coffee can. The other is the end axle tube seal it is about the size of a Coke can. Which one are you talking about? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Dale_Lakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

The end axle tube seal.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

my wifes 2k just started leaking there too.....my 97 dosnt have outer axle seals....im gonna find out next week. there shouldnt be a clip in the carrier that axle should just pull out. the axle can be kinda difficult getting outta the inner axle seal though.

00 F350 4X4 CC

RIP CHRIS. 03/09/05

http://community.webshots.com/user/barebackjake
barebackjake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd bet that your left hub is stuck in the locked position, and the right hub is unlocked. Don't touch the hub dial. Raise the left wheel and turn it while watching for rotation of the axle universal. This happened to me and for some reason it pumped oil out of the right axle tube after about 100 miles of highway driving. The axle tube end seals are only dust seals. The real seals are inside the diff.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

The seal on the end of the axle tube is there to seal dirt out of the tube only.... If you have oil leaking out of it, you are going to be disappointed when you get it apart.

The oil seals for the front axle driveshafts are mounted inboard, in the "pumpkin"... plan on spending some time.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

dang was afraid of that. rebuiding D60 for my 97 right now i know what i gotta do.....she had the hubs locked and was driving it all over everywhere so now that there unlocked ill see how much it leaks till i get time to do them and do them both.

00 F350 4X4 CC

RIP CHRIS. 03/09/05

http://community.webshots.com/user/barebackjake
barebackjake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

so this may be a stupid question ......but if i unlock my left hub......will the right stop leaking? if that is the problem???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.