Right rear brake drum sticking, rubbing sound, from emergency brake??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right rear brake drum sticking, rubbing sound, from emergency brake???

I have a 99 F350 dually. I don't drive it a lot; it is used mainly to haul our bigfoot truck camper.

The other day when moving the rig I noticed a "rubbing" sound coming from the rear. The truck would drive but when I put in neutral from drive at a creep speed the truck would come soon to a halt...in other words it would not coast to a stop. It acts as if the rear brake pads or the emergency is stuck.

Just removed wheels; it is the right side that is stuck or sticking. The drum is stuck, can't move with my own force. I tapped lightly all around the caliber. did not help. Looked in my haynes manual...that problem is not described...but there is some hint that emergency brake pad or friction device is different than the regular hydraulic pads system.

When my wife pushes on the emergy brake, the cable at the caliber area pulls and releases (when she releass). In other words the cable is not stuck. But I can't see what the cable really connects to at the hub connection. Is there a separate friction pad or device for the emergency located inside the hub.

Finally Is there anything I can do before I take it to my mechanic, such as squirt with dw4 ...currently I have the truck jacked up and with rear dually wheels removed...thanks for any help.

IVER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Right rear brake drum sticking, rubbing sound, from emergency brake???

I'm not sure if your's is like mine (SRW), but the e-brake is just a small drum brake inside your rotor. There should be an oval hole below the axle to allow for adjusting the brake. Back it off- you may need an old style brake adjusting tool (sort of like a flat piece of steel that's bent into the shape of a semi flatened "j")- then you should be able to pull the rotor off. It sounds like either the shoes aren't retracting completely or something has let go. Either isn't too difficult to fix. The toughest part will be getting the rotor off. The rest is easy R&R.

2000 250SC,4WD,4R100,3.73 rear,loaded, Leer XL160
fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I am going outside now to see the area you mention. When you say remove rotor, do you mean that the rotor is the large disc, that is the wheel? IVER
Old 08-05-2005, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I beleive he meant the drum will come off..........

FXDWG........let me guess......you own a Wide Glide!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, I have just had a look.

Beneath the axle (but not part of the axle housing) there is a small indentation that has a rubber gromet. The gromet has a horizontal opening or another indentation. Is this where you insert the brake tool? I did put a screw driver end gently into it, but did not swist. If that is where the brake tool goes into does one do an up and down motion to adjust or back off the emergency brake?

I am still confused on what you mean the rotor has to come off....is the rotor what we use to call the brake drum?...I thought that is called the disc; and the calipers are what holds the pads in place.

Anyway regardless of the terms I need to know if the adjustment only is just with the tool you mention or do I need to remove the entire disk (you call it rotor??) or the wheel that has the bolts.

Thanks, IVER
Old 08-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

1) Yep- I've got a Wide Glide, ridden him over most of the western US- it has to be a him- ain't no female ever going to carry my butt that far!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

2)That grommet is the opening I'm speaking of. If you can look in there, you should see a ridged wheel essentially right in front of you. That's the adjuster I'm speaking of. I haven't had mine off in 75k or so, so don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure there is a self adjusting mechanism on the parking brake. Therefore, you'll actually have to use the brake tool previously mentioned and a smalll thin screwdriver. Push the screwdriver in past the ridged wheel and you should feel a slightly spring loaded plate (meaning as you push, the plate will move away from the ridged wheel and as you release pressure, the plate should push back towards this wheel). Anyway, push the plate away from the ridged wheel and spin it using the brake tool. If you can see it, you may be able to see the threads of the adjuster- you want to screw them in, thus shortening the overall length. If you're going the wrong way, the brake will tighten and the rotor won't turn.

3)For clarification- the rotor is also the brake drum you're used to. The drum is the inside of the rotor "hat". You'll need to remove the caliper bracket to pull the rotor off. It's just two 13/16" bolts, there's no reason to remove the cailper/brake pads, just take them off as a unit and set them on the spring or wire them so that the assembly does truly hang by the brake hose. You'll need to first put the rear on jack stands, then remove the tire/wheel, then the caliper bracket and assembly, then start on releasing the parking brake. You may find that with slight persuasion, the rotor/drum will come off without really releasing the parking brake (assuming you remembered to release the parking brake after she's upon jack stands! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] As long as the parking brake shoes haven't cut into the drum/rotor, it should pull off fairly easily. You could pull the other side to compare parts if needed- it's just the 8 lugs, the 2 caliper bracket bolts and then pull the rotor/drum off. Since there's no noise from the other side, it may come apart easier. Then you'll also be able to see which way to turn the adjuster and whether there's a self adjusting mechanism (and the plate I previously mentioned).

2000 250SC,4WD,4R100,3.73 rear,loaded, Leer XL160
fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great instructions.

I already have the car up on floor jack with the dualies off (on both sides). I will add some additional jacks to make sure the rig is firm and safe.

I suppose this is a supid question...but if I can make the adjustment with the screw driver and the brake tool why is it necessary to remove the caliber assembly? Ans could be to see more clearly the emergency mechanism so that it can be freed up? I will try to free it up with the brake tool..it breaks free...I may stop there..

I have the tools and with your instructions I should be able to get this job done starting tomorrow morning...here in central FL the heat and humidity make for very uncomfortable working (outside). And right now as I type I hear thunder outside...

Many thanks...I will report back tomorrow morning. Many thanks for taking time to write a good set of instructions.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was able to easily rotate that aduster nut with a regular screw driver. I went several sprokets one way, nothting released, and then went several sprokets the other way, again the wheel did not break.

So, tomorrow I will remove the caliber and the hub to see what's inside. I am wondering however because the hub is so tight will I be able to pull it off easily? Is this something best left to my mechanic...I don't want to break anything by beating the hub off.

IVER
Old 08-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hello again,

I have backed off the star nut (emergency brake adj) so that it appears loose. The rotor/drum is still frozen.

Decided to start the engine to see if the wheel would rotate under the power of the engine. It does not. The left rear wheel spins, the right one does not turn or budge. This seems abnormal...any suggestions or comments? I tried tapping the drum with a hamer hoping the taping break someting loose..did not work. The rearend of this truck is a 3.73 regular rear axle..I am reading this from the original sticker.
If the right rear wheel is not spinning under engine power what does this mean?? (broken axle??)

A friend down the street with a similar but dodge dually said maybe the bearing is gone. I told him that the sound from the wheel when it is rolling with tire on it at low speed is a rubbing sound not grinding sound.

Even if I tried to remove the roter/hub I don't think I could get it off because it seems that the emergency brake shoe is stuck hard to the emergency hub. I would need a special wheel puller.

Any last suggestions before I take it to my mechanic...he is tied up for a week...so I really won't have it fixed for another ~1.5 weeks.

Thanks again, IVER
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (1)

Remove caliper.

Make sure parking brake is NOT on.

The drum/disc assy should come loose with just a few whacks of a rubber mallet or block of wood - dont beat on it with a regular hammer. If it doesnt come off easily, you probably have either a jammed parking brake or you have fubarred the parking brake adjustment with previous poking at adjuster. Turning the star-wheel of the adjuster one direction will tighten the brake, the other direction will loosen it. Sometimes loosening the adjuster can be tricky, because they tend to be dsigned not to want to loosen - sorta like a ratchet design.

If you get the disc/drum assy off easily, and still the hub doesnt turn easily, then you have something much nastier, like a siezed bearing, broken axle, fubarred diff/inner bearing etc.

If it doesnt turn easily, you are going to really de$troy lot$ of $eriou$ $tuff by attempting to drive it to a shop or $$$$tealer$hip.
Alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hello again,
With the rear up on jacks, tires off, the right rear wheel does not rotate. The left one does. The rear is a 3.73 ratio regular axle.

The fact that the right rear wheel ... does this mean axle is is broken? Both wheels should be rotating, right?

Good point ... I will have towed to the shop. IVER
Old 08-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Problem SOLVED: stuck caliper

I drove about two blocks with only one wheel on the right side dually side so that I could easily touch both the rotor and the hub (where the emergency brake shoes are). The heat (really hot, could not touch!) came from the disc part of the roter--I am sure it would have melted or fire could have started if I went very far. The hub part was not very warm. Conclusion: the caliber is stuck.

Raised the truck, removed the right side wheel, tapped on the caliber will ball pene hammer (not too hard)...it freed up (!!), wheel now rotates.

Currently I am in the process of removing the caliber to service those two bolts that fasten the caliper onto the back plate. In all my tools, I am missing the very one socket I need, half-inch 12mm socket it takes to remove the two caliber bolts....I will run down to sears to buy the sockets...and then remove the caliper tomorrow morning early when the temperature is tolerable.

Thanks to everyone who commented....

Iver D.

PS: I will have a look at the caliber piston to make sure it does not look too bad.

I am told there is a special grease that is used to lubricate those long bolts that fasten the caliber to the bracket. Any comments on the kind of grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.