The Diesel Stop banner

Roadtrip checklist advice

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  69mach1377 
#1 ·
Hello All!

In about 3 weeks I'm going to be taking an 8,000 mile road trip around the country in my truck. I was hoping you could all throw some advice my way on what I should check out/inspect before I leave. Here is a quick list of things I have done or will be doing soon.

1. New oil change
2. Check all fluids (tranny, transfer case, differential)
3. Replace front/rear sway bar bushings
4. Replace track arm bushings
5. Rotate tires
6. Inspect right side wheel bearing/axle and replace seals (signs of dust were present from something wearing down, left side looked good)
7. Change/carry spare fuel filter, tranny filter (aftermarket kit)
8. Inspect/change if needed, serpentine belt

I had a mechanic check over the front end steering linkage and besides the worn out bushings, he said everything looks decent including ball joints.

The truck will hit 300,000 miles on my journey but I trust the engine. I recently had an oil test done too and it came back with great results that did not indicate any excessive wear or contamination.

The few things I'm worried about randomly going on me would be the alternator and starter which I've replaced within the last year or so, and the water pump which I've never replaced. I'll be bringing a bag full of tools in case something like this happens and I have to do a roadside repair. I'll also be bring AE software with me for any diagnostic needs.

Anything else you guys think I should check out or be prepared for? Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Just changed the CPS thinking mine was failing but it turned out to be something else so I have a brand new one in and the old one as a spare now

#5 ·
As said by Smokey Wren IIRC:
A credit card with a high limit and low balance.

Reactions: StockKnocker
#6 ·
Make sure you have a few hundred miles and week or two on the truck after the fluid changes, Before you hit the road. You will be able to spot leaks and if the new fluid affects the tranny you will know it close to home.
DENNY

#7 ·
Good advice, amazes me how a lot of people wait till the last minute to change fluids before a long trip. Especially those who go to a quick lube place and trust those monkeys to do it right.:surprise:

#8 ·
I'm thinking of changing the oil mid trip as opposed to an early change before the trip...thoughts?

#9 ·
Engine oil is not that big of a deal as long as the filter gets on right. It is the tranny that can sometimes go wrong with a flush and change.
DENNY

#10 ·
If you have the means to change your oil mid trip and dispose of the old oil that will work, but if it was me and depending on how old the oil was before the trip I might change if before the trip or even wait a until afterwards. I would also look at what my maintenance schedule is and do a lot of the things that needed to be done just so that I could do them at home instead of trying to haul everything that I need on a trip.

But then I have been sending samples to Blackstone and they claim that I can go another 2,000 miles before I change it now and right now I am changing it at 5,000 miles.

#11 ·
I just sent my second oil sample to Blackstone and I'm waiting to hear back. The first sample I sent in had 10k miles on it and they said it was one of the best samples they've ever seen for a high mileage truck (280k) with that many miles on the sample.

I put another 10k on the second sample to see if I get the same results.

#12 ·
I change mine every 4k miles and am at 2.5k now. The trip will be at least 2.5k
Anybody know how hard it is to dispose of old oil in CA? Right now I just take it to Walmart....

#15 ·
Since the trip is mostly highway I'd wait until I got back from the trip. Going past the interval with all highway and relative low running hours isn't going to hurt a thing.

#14 ·
I hear ya...just didn't like the idea of throwing away perfectly good oil, you know those poor poor dinosaurs gave their lives for it. ;)

#16 ·
Well, I will be towing and climbing...changing it won't be an issue, it's pretty easy. It's disposing of it that I'm worried about. Any CA members here?

#17 ·
You can dispose of your used motor oil at just about any Autozone, O'reileys autoparts stores for free. They usually limit you to 5 gallons per trip, and they make you fill out a paper with your name and address on it and how many gallons you brought in. They will also take your old filters too.

#18 ·
^ Thanks! Sounds like here in NM. Now I have options.

#19 · (Edited)
I did similar trip a year ago and this is what i did.

Change all fluid 2 week before
Check all steering components

I brought spare serpentine belt, cps, icp (had already a spare one), some diesel and a bit of all the oil.

During my trip
What i had to fix is lower radiator hose, degas cap and fuel bowl drain seal

Hope this help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
So we completed an over 3000 mile 3 week vacation to the Grand Canyon and Yosemite with no incidents. I changed the oil at an RV park outside of Yosemite since all campgrounds in the park were full. O'Reillys in Mariposa took the old oil no problem.
Keep on Truckin'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.