Rotella T 15w40 - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used Rotella for years. Swaped to Schaffers 15 40 my truck loves it and can go longer on oil changes
MBRP 4in Exhaust
Phatom II Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans)
Oh Yeah Only 38,000 Orignal Miles
SouthrenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've used it since I bought my Powerstroke. No problems here.

06 Grill, 6637 mod, Zoodad, Trans Temp. and Pyrometer Gauges, High Idle mod, Dfuser 18k, Fog Light mod, LED mirror light mod, Foil Delete, Walker BTM w/4" stainless tip, LED's under tailgate, Tinted Windows, Cab Lights, SS HPX

Coming Soon - Leveling kit, DP Tuner

My Truck Pics
JPLTrucking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by High PSI View Post
I used Rotella 15w40 up until a month ago and switched for the first time to Mobil1 5w40 syn. Blackstone said my Rotella oil was clean at 4,800 mile analysis.
Didn't notice any difference with synthetic ,except maybe the "clanking" sound disappears a little quicker.
'02 Black F350srw,Lariat,CC,SB,OR. - BTS TRANS,Coated 1.00 BB TN-non EBP-6.0 Spearco IC-DP Tunes(stock,HI,60T,80E,120R)MAP maximizer-ITP reg ret.-AirDog-Fluidampr-BWD coated/ bellowed pipes-AFE2-4" Magnaflow-Dieselsite coolant filter&ESOF SS lines-Billet/203*stat-Fleetrite ELC-Bilsteins-Hawks&Cryo's-Centramatic-Billet-Extang-Husky box-Husky Liner-EGR-LineX-Alpine-Kicker-PIAA-Dynamat-Sirius-Viper-ES Poly's-BFG 315/75/16 AT's-DTS 4.56LS-31 row 6.0 Cooler-UltraLite trans,pyro,boost-DiPricol fuel-PML pan-Mag-Hytec cover-Powerslot-Hawk. Marinco,Snowman,Harpoon,AIH,CCV,foil,door ding,console mods. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557543120DKiWId
High PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the feedback. I plan on staying with Rotella

bot
blueoneton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

I use to work for a Ford dealership and in our books the motor warrenty is voided if someone used rotella. We got a letter saying that the oil was creating a foam and was not lubercating right...... but i guess they were just trying to get out of warrenty work
98.5dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I use Rotella in mine, as does everyone in my Fire Dept that has a PSD. We've been using Rotella in all of our diesel Fire Apparatus for the at least the last 10 years that I've been here and haven't had any problems with the oil. I'll stick with what I know works and works well.
Mods- DP Tuner, Edge Insight CTS gauge, 4" MBRP, 6637 Filter, AIH Delete, CCV, Donahoe Leveling Kit, X-Code Springs, 2" Blocks rear and 315/75 R16 BFG A/Ts, OBA with viar and 5 gal tank with Grover horns, Meyer plow and short v-box spreader, Atomic LED clearance lights and Whelen Vertex LEDs.
Pending Mods- Warn hubs, Hutch/Harpoon and Pre-Pump Filter, Coolant Bypass Filter
Red 02 F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

I work for Rural metro Fire here in knoxville and we use it in our trucks also but most of ours are cummins or detroits. I am not really sure why Ford says that but hey I always use Castrol
98.5dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98.5dodge View Post
I use to work for a Ford dealership and in our books the motor warrenty is voided if someone used rotella. We got a letter saying that the oil was creating a foam and was not lubercating right...... but i guess they were just trying to get out of warrenty work
Quite a few years ago Rotella did have a formulation issue. That has since been corrected. I believe that happened around 2001. There is no ban on Rotella currently that I am aware of. There is a special service message that relates to 6.0 and 6.4 engines in regards to aftermarket fuel/oil filter failure though. I work at a dealer currently.
Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Timbren Overloads, Husky Mudflaps, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Michelin LTX AT2 Rubber, Dieselsite Coolant Filter

2004 Mustang GT
Parts Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

98.5 Dodge Good Post

I have heard of this happening. I have heard in years past, the Rotella did have foaming issues with our diesels, but no longer. I think if that Dealership would try this approach today, they would lose providing the customer can prove the oil/oil filter changes were conducted in the proper time/milage frame. Although I do not work for or promote Shell Oil, I also think Shell would challange Ford with this type of bad press. Lets face it, Shell most likely corrected the foaming issue with our diesels because Shell knows there are many Powerstroke owners out there as customers. It's funny how different dealers have different rules of thier own. When I used to get my oil changed at a Ford Truck Shop in my area, they had MC diesel, Rotella, Delo and Valvoline Blue in thier shop. They would put whatever brand you requested in your truck at which point I went with the MC 15w40.

I have no problem with the MC diesel oil, which I think is a decent oil made by Conoco-Phillips. When the dealer changed my oil, I would choose the MC diesel oil. I started doing the oil changes myself after realizing it was so easy and got tired if the $100 plus charge each time. Also, in my area, even the dealers don't carry the jugs of MC oil, just the quart bottles as WM does. I was surprised even the Ford Truck shop I delt with only had the quart bottles of MC15w40, no bulk or jugs. The other oils they carried were in jugs?? So after some research, I found many Powerstroker owners use the Rotella with good results and it can be purchased in the gallon jugs so that helped make my decision. I also contacted Shell a few years back with some questions about the Rotella oil. The guy I spoke with on the phone told me that Rotella is the factory fill with International. Sorry for the long thread.

bot
Old 01-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel juice View Post
i use rotalla 15-40 and the ford filter every 5000 and blackstone said i could go 6000 no problem
Ditto, and my truck has a few miles on it.
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_cb View Post
I run ROTELLA with LUCAS OIL STABILIZER some tech said its a good idea to run it in there so cant hurt i suppose.

I dunno if this is normal but i always get a sweet new oil smell comin from the tailpipe and for a good 3000 miles it runs like a kitten no.... more like lion haha
Uhm Lucas is not good for our Powerstrokes, causes aeration and foaming problems. There has been lots of discussion here before about that very subject. I imagine past threads about it can be found by searching.
I don't have it but there used to be a link thrown around here quite a bit to a site where the owner had actually done testing with Lucas. It was bobtheoilguy.com or something like that.
I'm sure someone out here knows what I'm babbling about, maybe they will post about it.
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
This may be the link you are referring to.

What about Additives?

2000 F250 XLT PSD Crewcab, Longbed, 4x4, Auto, LS 3.73
Ford AIS, Frantz Bypass Oil Filter, Baldwin Bypass Coolant Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve, 203* Thermostat, Stancor
Bilstein Shocks all the way around, Timbren SES (Rear), Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T 265/75/16
Commander Monitor (gauges), Crimestopper CS-2016 DP II FM Remote Start/Alarm/Paging/Turbo Timer/Keyless
Rotella 5W40 Oil
, Texaco ELC Coolant, Mobile 1 ATF Trans and PS

My mods, repairs, and other truck Stuff
Jinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Here is the bottom line in my opinion. If you use Motorcraft you won't have to worry weather its approved and if it fails Ford will stand behind it. I have never in 22 years seen a engine failure due to quality problem with Motorcraft oil. I have seen a filter failure cause a engine to fail and the customer's engine was replaced. It happened in 1990. The customers's Toyota was serviced at the dealership Fast Lube. The filter failed (blew off) and we replaced (subleted to a Toyota dealer) the customers engine with a re-manufacturered engine. Ford paid for the customer's rental car while waiting for the repair. I will stick with Ford.

Oil additives are snake oil. I am not a big fan of fuel additives but I may have to rethink that with the way that fuel is heading.
Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Timbren Overloads, Husky Mudflaps, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Michelin LTX AT2 Rubber, Dieselsite Coolant Filter

2004 Mustang GT
Parts Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

I think im going to go change my oil has anyone taken this to Lucas i mean on the bottle it says formulated for the powerstroke diesel
2000 Ford F250 7.3l diesel of course with 137,086 original miles, new waterpump, AEM intake, ATS Turbo Housing, TS Performance 6 pos chip, guages (exhaust temp, boost, onboard air gauge), 4 inch MBRP exhaust to the turbo, CB Radio always on ch. 14, 60 gal. Aux. Tank/tool box in bed, Rotella Oil 15w40 soon to have HPOX on there, Train Horn hehe, Viair Onboard air (150psi),Pioneer head unit, some kind a drop in bedliner, 32in Nitto tires, and cant forget the pintle hitch
hit_cb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Blue Water Runner,

Good point, well taken. If my truck was still under warranty, I would stick with the MC.

bot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.