San Diego, CA. SMOG HELP!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
San Diego, CA. SMOG HELP!!

I assume this has been covered but I am a newbie here and not sure where it is covered...

Ok, I stopped by a smog shop to get my 2002 F-350 4x4 Diesel smog checked and the guy would not even start after he looked in my engine compartment and saw I had a cold air intake and said where is your ######## sticker that states this intake is legal? I said what are you talking about and he proceded to tell me to go put the stock equipment back on it and come back before he will even attempt it?

Ok, So I am not going to do that.. any suggestions of a smog shop in San Diego, CA. that understands us diesel owners???

please help??
Rader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Since the aftermarket intake is an "alteration" of the emission system, it does require a C.A.R.B. exemption..Lots of guys I know have had the same issue and have borrowed someone else's stock intake to get passed the test.

Put yourself in the smog shops shoes. If you were operating the shop and B.A.R. sent in a "plant" (and they do!) is it really worth your license and the fines?
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Yep,

Modifications need a C.A.R.B. approval number. I have an FIPK on my 7.3L and it has a lable on it indicating it's C.A.R.B. approval number.

Once you get that taken care of make sure you have the CAT installed if your vehicle came with one.

My 7.3L did not come with a cat. As it had an auto tranny. I understand those that came with a manual tranny did.

That is one of the features of living in Kalifornia.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook moniter (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer Yaesu FTM-10R & a Comet CSB 770A

Last edited by Matt0987; 05-05-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Crap, I have to get my smogged this month and I've got an AFE cold air... Does it have to have the CARB sticker on it or how can you tell what will pass and what wont?

I gotta get back out of this state. In Texas, I paid $45.00 a year for registration and here, for the same sized truck, I just got a bill for $395.00 PLUS I have to smog check it......

Member #4,587

1999 F350 XLT crewcab 3 inch body lift, 8 inch suspension lift. Edge Evolution programmer. AFE cold air intake. 37 inch tires. Pics are in link below.

1996 F350 XLT crewcab dually, (RIP) pulled a 50+3' step deck trailer and 30' cow trailer.
Pictures of it's death can be seen in link below.

My Pics

I PREFER DANGEROUS FREEDOM TO PEACEFUL SLAVERY-Thomas Jefferson

Remainder of signature deleted for political correctness violations
RopinandRidin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

awesome information.

Well guys thanks for the Info. hopefully I can find someone with a stock intake or see if I can come up with a C.A.R.B. sticker.

I think I also have an AFE. All my upgrades came frim Diesel innovations out of Texas for my 2002 7.3...

Again thanks and great Forum..
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RopinandRidin View Post
I gotta get back out of this state. In Texas, I paid $45.00 a year for registration and here, for the same sized truck, I just got a bill for $395.00 PLUS I have to smog check it......
Theres smog checks in TX also. Its a County by County thing. In mine, Polk Cty, there are no such checks. Seems as you get nearer the larger cities, they are the ones with the smog check requirement.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Talk to some other people and see what shop they recommend. There are shops in SD that are not picky at all when it comes to the visual. Everything is on the super down low because shops can be fined big $ for violations. Look for a crappy looking shop that is empty and if they ask for the EO number had them a $100 bill.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

A bunch of BS!!

Today, I just smogged (passed) my 02 7.3 with no problems. Has AFE intake, hypertech programmer...not even programmed for stock, magnaflo exhaust.

I came across this document and it clearly states (around page G-6) that diesel intakes, exhaust system (that dont affect smog requirements and such are not necessary to check for CARB exemption.

Maybe we need to educate these smog guys as to what thier job really is!! My guy didnt even to the "smoke" test.....he said whats the point, its not really a test, just his opinion!!

Good luck

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diesel Smog Requirements.pdf (47.4 KB, 145 views)
2002 F350 4x4 CC LB 7.3, AFE Intake, Magnaflow Exh, Hypertech, 203* T-stat, Coolant Filtration, ISS Pro Pyro/Trans Temp/Boost Gauges, 6" Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Sulastic Shackles, 37" Mickey Thompson AT's, 18" XD's, Amp Research Retractable Steps, Rear Ent Sys
deblas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

re.

thanks for the info. I appreciate the information...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

AFE has CARB compliance

Call AFE and they will send a sticker.
However I believe cold air is ok with CARB. See their site.
Terry

Major Tow MODS:

05-07 Facelift. WWII. PHP 65 tow on PCM. RifRaff FRx. ATS Compressor Housing. Turbomaster wastegate controller. SP Diesel exaust brake. Midwest Trans short throw. Dorman bellowed uppipes. 2" Edge Lev Kit. AFE Stage II. Bilstiens. Hellwig 1 1/4" rear sway bar PN 7636. Hawk HP Superduty brake pads and Powerslot frozen rotors. Autometer Ultralight guages. South Bend Clutch - MU 1944 Con 0. Walker BTM. 6.0 Intercooler. Oilguard bypass filter. B&W turnover gooseneck hitch. 6980 unladen weight. 299,000 miles. 20 Foot Cimarron Gooseneck Horse Trailer.
Sold:
1991 F250XLT Supercab 4x4 7.3l 250,000 miles.
terryf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

re

Terry, I called AFE and they sent me the sticker. it was here in less than 24 hours... outstanding people there.

I have my smog check tomorrow up in Alpine, ca. I will post how it goes..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.