Schaeffer's Transmission Fluid? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Schaeffer's Transmission Fluid?

I had a dealer who handled Scheaffer's oil products here in Utah but the phone is no longer being answered.
Does anyone know where I can get some of their trans fluid?
Thanks,
Mont Warman
The Diamond W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: Schaeffer's Transmission Fluid?

http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Click on "Retail Outlet Locator" and you'll probably find some. The nearest one to me is over 100 miles either north or south, so I don't use it. My local oil distributor used to handle Schaeffer's, but the small volume wasn't worth his effort so he no longer is a dealer.

Note the "a" is before the "e". Germans are wierd that way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
I had a dealer who handled Scheaffer's oil products here in Utah but the phone is no longer being answered.
Does anyone know where I can get some of their trans fluid?
Thanks,
Mont Warman

[/ QUOTE ]

My source for Schaeffer's products is: http://specializedlubricants.net/

They sell at wholesale and will give free shipping for orders over $250.

You will have to phone in the order though because their website isn't very informative for much more than their contact info.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks all! Jim Smart of Riverton, UT has been located and I put in an order today. His # is (801) 253-7358 and orders are free shipping over $250. The Trans fluid is $76 for a five gallon bucket.
Mont Warman
The Diamond W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Isn't Scaeffer's ATF dual rated mercon and mercon V which Ford does not recommend for 7.3 Powerstrokes????
2007 F350 CC KR LB DRW Auto 4:10; Dieselsite coolant Bypass filter; Oilguard bypass filter; Quadzilla Commander with fuel pressure kit
longjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Scaeffer's ATF dual rated mercon and mercon V which Ford does not recommend for 7.3 Powerstrokes????

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually YES, it IS dual rated. Which I find very interesting knowing that some very vocal "anti-dual rated" people on this board have a BTS tranny that was filled with this stuff and they are preaching NO dual rated yet that is exactly what they had/have in their BTS.

That being said, Ford's announcement about not using dual rated fluids is very broad and there is NO way they tested every dual rated fluid out there to verify it is good or bad so it is likely that if BTS says the stuff is OK, then it is OK.

Hammer

I still have the:

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
Old 08-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the Schaeffer Oil Website, the 204S product is "formulated to meet the lubrication requirments of those U.S. and import car manufacturers that specify the use of either a Dexron, Dexron II-E, Dexron III or Mercon Type fluid". I don't have a bottle in front of me so I'm not sure if the label lists Mercon or Mercon/Mercon V.

I'm in the process of buying a BTS transmission and had a conversation with Brian about this very subject yesterday afternoon. When I asked him what fluid I should run in my new tranny his reply was "anything you want". His explanation was that Mercon V is too slippery for the stock 4R100 but since the trannys he builds have completely different friction surfaces Mercon V is fine.
2000 F350 XLT, SC, LB, SRW, 7.3 PSD, 4X4, BTS Tranny, Magnaflow 4" Turbo-back, AIS Intake, Autometer EGT, Boost and Trans Temp Gauges, DP-Tuner 4P Chip, ITP Overboost Regulator, Power Slot Rotors, Bilstein Shocks, Red-Head Steering Box.
jonwpdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
Actually YES, it IS dual rated. Which I find very interesting knowing that some very vocal "anti-dual rated" people on this board have a BTS tranny that was filled with this stuff and they are preaching NO dual rated yet that is exactly what they had/have in their BTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

A BTS tranny is not a Ford 4R100. The only thing Ford about a BTS tranny is the outside case. Everything inside the tranny case is replaced when BTS bullet-proofs your tranny. And for those many special parts in a BTS tranny, BTS uses Schaeffer's DEXRON III/MERCON synthetic blend ATF.

So when you have a stock Ford tranny, go by what Ford says.

But when you have a BTS tranny, run what Brian put in there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

Brian is the one that stands behind his trannies - not Ford. But Ford is the one that stands behind the stock tranny - not Brian.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem is that BTS is not a FORD tranny and you have to IMO go with who provides the tranny ... for Ford that is Ford for a BTS that is Brian ... A BTS is NOT A FORD TRANNY ... his clutches and internals might be compatible with whatever fluid he is using and how he puts his tranny together. I recommend that you follow what the maker of your tranny recommends. Heck Brian could use straight 30W engine oil and say he will warranty his trannies only using that .... and guess what I would use .... what he recommends and will warrant. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think you might be trying to make a point here that is not germane in what Ford might do and what a person that gives you a completely different tranny in a Ford casing gives you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

When I was there I asked if I could use my Mobil 1 to top off his tranny and if I could use Mobil 1 when I did my first tranny service and to both he said "FINE" good enough for me from my tranny maker and went no further. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the Schaeffer Oil Website, the 204S product is "formulated to meet the lubrication requirments of those U.S. and import car manufacturers that specify the use of either a Dexron, Dexron II-E, Dexron III or Mercon Type fluid". I don't have a bottle in front of me so I'm not sure if the label lists Mercon or Mercon/Mercon V.

I'm in the process of buying a BTS transmission and had a conversation with Brian about this very subject yesterday afternoon. When I asked him what fluid I should run in my new tranny his reply was "anything you want". His explanation was that Mercon V is too slippery for the stock 4R100 but since the trannys he builds have completely different friction surfaces Mercon V is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is Schaeffer's product info about this particular fluid: http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/204SAT.pdf

Hammer

I still have the:

Old 08-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A BTS tranny is not a Ford 4R100. The only thing Ford about a BTS tranny is the outside case. Everything inside the tranny case is replaced when BTS bullet-proofs your tranny. And for those many special parts in a BTS tranny, BTS uses Schaeffer's DEXRON III/MERCON synthetic blend ATF.

But when you have a BTS tranny, run what Brian put in there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

Brian is the one that stands behind his trannies - not Ford. But Ford is the one that stands behind the stock tranny - not Brian.

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact fluid Brian uses is: Schaeffer's 204S-AT. Which also known as All Trans Supreme or Dexron-III supreme. This is the spcific info on it: http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/204SAT.pdf

Anyway, I realize who pays for the tranny repairs if you don't follow Ford's advice if the OEM 4R100 is still under warranty. However, from what I understand, it's the seals and sometimes the clutch material adhesive that has the Mercon-V issue due to the higher friction modifier load of the ATF and I believe the seal and clutch material are very similar between BTS and OEM. That being said, I'm sure the Schaeffer's will work without issue if there is no longer any warranty on your OEM tranny.

Hammer

I still have the:

Old 08-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact fluid Brian uses is: Schaeffer's 204S-AT. Which also known as All Trans Supreme or Dexron-III supreme. This is the spcific info on it: http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/204SAT.pdf

Anyway, I realize who pays for the tranny repairs if you don't follow Ford's advice if the OEM 4R100 is still under warranty. However, from what I understand, it's the seals and sometimes the clutch material adhesive that has the Mercon-V issue due to the higher friction modifier load of the ATF and I believe the seal and clutch material are very similar between BTS and OEM. That being said, I'm sure the Schaeffer's will work without issue if there is no longer any warranty on your OEM tranny.

Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as you say you can assume whatever and I don't know, but about the only thing that was stock from my tranny was some shafts (I'm not in the 600 HP club) and the pump which was good ... everything else except the case was replaced.

Point is to pay attention to what your tranny builder says if the are reputable and I fell Brian is and go from there.

I'll leave all this "clutch material adhesive", "friction modifier" and seal/clutch material stuff to who I paid the money to sort out and in this case it was Brian. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as you say you can assume whatever and I don't know, but about the only thing that was stock from my tranny was some shafts (I'm not in the 600 HP club) and the pump which was good ... everything else except the case was replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry, i think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean he re-used the OEM seals and clutches that were in your OEM trans. I meant that some are actually FORD sourced and may be the same as the originals. I do not know personally if this is the case or not. All i know is what was told to me by somebody but I do not hold what that person said as gospel.

Hammer

I still have the:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.