Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive

I have been looking on the site for about 3 hours and I cannot find any threads about the 4 wheel drive system. I have an 02 350 with electronic shift on the fly 4 wheel drive and it does not work with the hubs in auto, but does work when the hubs are in manual. Anyone have this problem or read any threads about this problem. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Re: Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive

I'm still learning about them too, but from what I do know...you have a vaccum leak somewhere. When the hubs are in "auto" they are activated by vaccum pressure. I think there are some o-rings that seal the hub that are known to leak sometimes. Or it may be the vaccum lines them selves leaking.

I'm sure some one else will be of more help, but this should give you a start...Welcome to TDS!
Lariat, CC, SB, 4x4 Off Road, 7.3L, Auto Trans, 3.73 LS, AIS, Zoodad, Autometer Ultra Lite Boost, Pyro, Trans & Fuel Pressure Gauges, Walker BTM, IC Tube Foil Delete, DR 2" Leveling Kit, BFG A/T 285's, Door Seal Mod, Tranny Magnefine, "Hutch" Mod , Harpooned Tank, 4" rear blocks, ITP Overboost, DP-Tuner F6 No Start, Stock, 60E, 80E & 80T, JW Valvebody, PowerSlot Cryo Rotors w/Hawk LTS pads, Bilstein Shocks, Dieselsite Boots, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Dieselsite 203* T-Stat, Prestone ELC, FRx R/R, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, '08 Diff Cover, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust

To Do/Wish List: Turbo-Master, Wicked Wheel 2, Adrenaline HPOP
2002F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Does your air conditioning/heat go to the defrost position? If so, a vacuum leak would be the first thing to check for.

Could be the hoses leading to the hubs.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check your vaccum lines that are located beside your brake line on the front of your truck and see if they are cracked where they attach at the knuckle on the inside of your wheel well. Mine were split and cracked there.

Good Luck
Wild and Wonderful West Virginia - Go Mounties!!!

"racing in a rice burner is like racing in the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded!" ~Borrowed Quote
crzybowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

definitely check your hoses going to the hubs......i replaced mine with braided stainless lines for the hell of it 2 years ago and i couldnt believe how bad of shape mine were in after ony 25k miles
96 f-350 2wd dually powerstroke roach coach 365k BTS tranny,4.10, XLT,alcoa alloys,tymar intake,western diesel downpipe, a/c bypass mod,coolant filter behind front bumper, beans stage 1's,dp tuner 60hp pcm, hx hardline crossover from ITP......

01 f-350 dually powerstroke lariat supercab 61k 4.10 4x4 ESOF, leather, heated seats all the toys i dont need, 4r100,garret ball bearing turbo,tymar intake, ccv redirected out under the truck,magnaflow 4inch tuner exhaust, a/c bypass mod,zoodad mod,autometer cobalt pyro boost and tranny,dp tuner 4program chip,ITP complete regulated return fuel kit,ITP hx crossover hard line,203 t-stat and dieselsite billet t-stat neck, coolant filter,dieselsite high pressure intercooler boots

2009 F-450 dually 6.4 auto 4.30 2wd XLT power pedals,aux cab heater, dual alternators,bostonian catering body,stock everything for now......things to change soon
chris bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to treytroxell

Auto lockers suck... if you think you will be using your 4wheel drive that day lock them in and dont worry about it. if your not leave them unlocked. easy as that. I love my WARN lockers.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just to make sure I am using the manual function on mine right . . . I turn them in to lock position and leave the Knob on the dash in 2wd until I need it right? Still waiting on my braided lines to show up. The heavy part (powerslots) got here right away. If the lines do not fix the problem, I dont know if I can get it to the dealership to get the hub seals fixed before Antelope Hunting at the end of August. How hard is a hub seal to fix? How long to fix it? Special knowledge and tools? Starting to think I should have had my buddy that did the brake job pull the front hubs apart to check the seals while he was in there.
2002 PSD 350 CC 4x4; AIS Intake w/ Fender Sleeve; Walker BTM; ISSPRO Tranny, Boost, Pyro; CCV Mod; Zoodad; Blue CPS(in the glovebox); Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk Pads; Baldwin Fuel Filter; LineX Bedliner; Southwest Fabricators Rear Bumper; 285 Michelline LTX M/S's; and a cracked windshield.

92 8' Six-Pac Slide in Camper;
94 Charmac 3 Horse Slant Bumper Pull;
25' 1976 Jayco TT;

http://community.webshots.com/user/NVCowboy100
nvcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, I will check the lines tonight.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just remember that it is common for the hubs to seize in the locked position if left that way for an extended period of time. Almost all problems you'll find with the vacuum actuated hubs can be attributed to bad O ring seals. One thing you can try is to pull the hubs (just release the spring ring holding them in place and tap on them side to side with a rubber mallet to work them loose). Once you have the hub off inspect the external O ring on the hub. Soak the hub with WD40 or ATF and let it soak overnight. Flush it out with solvent, and re-spray lightly with WD40 before re-installing. Make sure you clean the O ring and it's sealing surface well. A coating of silicone grease or O ring lubricant on the surface is also a good idea before installing. Doing the above might solve your entire problem. Make sure you inspect that external seal well and replace the O ring if you need to. An O ring of comperable size will do just fine. No real need to run to Ford because they will only sell you a kit that includes that ring and the other seals to do a complete job. Just getting everything freed up and lubricated might solve the whole mess.

I service my hubs in the above manner at every oil change and everything has always worked just fine.

Larry [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
02 F250XLT SD CC LB 4X4, Silver, SD Air Lifts, 4R100, Westin Sportsman grill/brushguard, Leer Shell, AIS Severe Duty w/added fender intake, Edge EVO running 80 HP, ISSPRO's w/cubby mount, Rancho 9000X's, Banks 3 1/2" downpipe, BTM, 3 1/2" exhaust front to rear with 5" stainless tip. Sonnex and Tricum's. Fumoto Valve. Royal Purple ATF. Tru-Cool 4590. Tekonisha Prodigy. SP Diesel SSEBTC Exhaust Brake. Like new 88 Vacationeer 11.4' or 2008 Cardinal 31SB, 1992 Bayliner Trophy and the itch to go, baited hooks and the need to fish, loaded guns and the need to hunt.
Larry P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Before you start tearing things apart, you might want to check that the vacuum relay on the right hand fender is plugged in.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

ford made full manual hubs an option on all their trucks since the year after they introduced their hurry up and wait system.

folks that DEPEND on 4 wd working pretty much all convert to full manual hubs.

Myself, I spin my hubs to lock in late november, and spin to free in mid May. spend some time in 4wd, but spend a lot more time just spinning the front driveline in 2wd.

It doesn't hurt anything.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Regarding the vacume relay. Is there a map to it in the owners manual? Maybe some directions as to what it looks like? Also, lets face it guys the ESOF system is better than the pre '99 auto hub option. Quirky, but not inherently weak like the old system. When my dad called me about my old '97, I said I'd test drive it only after I knew it had the Ford Manuals. Braided lines are in. Gonna install them this weekend, but I have a strange feeling they are not the problem since I still have air out of the vents. In this dry climate the seals seem like a big probability.
2002 PSD 350 CC 4x4; AIS Intake w/ Fender Sleeve; Walker BTM; ISSPRO Tranny, Boost, Pyro; CCV Mod; Zoodad; Blue CPS(in the glovebox); Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk Pads; Baldwin Fuel Filter; LineX Bedliner; Southwest Fabricators Rear Bumper; 285 Michelline LTX M/S's; and a cracked windshield.

92 8' Six-Pac Slide in Camper;
94 Charmac 3 Horse Slant Bumper Pull;
25' 1976 Jayco TT;

http://community.webshots.com/user/NVCowboy100
nvcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
Auto lockers suck... if you think you will be using your 4wheel drive that day lock them in and dont worry about it. if your not leave them unlocked. easy as that. I love my WARN lockers.

[/ QUOTE ]

With is system there could be a leak at the seal on the axle. If you don't fix it can leak water into the hub assembly and trash the bearings,etc.
He has to find out were the leak is. Sometimes it's the Vacum Solenoid on the fender.

There's lot's of post's out there on this.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

ive heard the 4wd switches on the dash are bad about goin out.
Billet Inserts
Recon Mirror Lenses
5% Tint all the way around 20% on windshield
TS Performance 5X Loader
TS Performance MP8
4 inch straight pipe exhaust w/6 inch tip
AFE Intake
Clarion MAX675VD 7" Touchscreen Double DIN
powerstrokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

im in the same boat with my 4wd except my 4x4 doesn't light up on my dash
Billet Inserts
Recon Mirror Lenses
5% Tint all the way around 20% on windshield
TS Performance 5X Loader
TS Performance MP8
4 inch straight pipe exhaust w/6 inch tip
AFE Intake
Clarion MAX675VD 7" Touchscreen Double DIN
powerstrokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.