Which Slipjoint Grease? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Slipjoint Grease?

What are you all using these days to grease your slipjoints? I have used the recommend speciality Ford blue grease in the past, but it does not seem to last long.

I was thinking there might be some new synthetic greases on the market these days that would work better.

Mike
2002 2WD XLT CrewCab, 3.73 Limited Slip, Assembled 08-09-01 in Ford's Cuautitian, Mexico plant. BTS Tranny with 6.0L Cooler, Mobil 1 Synthetic transmission fluid, KC reverse backup lights with separate on/off dash switch, Undercover Bed Lid, Bilstein shocks, Gentex K-21 auto dimming/temp/compass mirror, Michelin LTX/MS2 tires, Factory Aluminum Wheels, Door Seal Mod, Ford Severe Duty AIS w/Zoodad, Royal Purple 75W-140, Fleetrite ELC Coolant, Billet Aluminium Thermostat Housing, Ford Factory Bed Liner, Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
TooCoolTwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

slipyoke thump on take off

i was told thats why theres a thump on take , off from a dead stop . the slip yok needs greased . theres no zerk on my truck , so im wondering whats the correct way to grease it . just slap it on every surface of the splines , and let it fly all over the bottom of my truck ? do they make a grease able one on the aftermarket ?
2000 F250 PSD 7.3 CCLB A/T wrecked , should of been totaled , but its back from the shop and were gona keep rollin it . it only took 3 months for the body shop to put all the peices back together again . . .
silvermullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

There is supposed to be a black rubber tube/cuff about 6" long which is covers the splines to contain the grease.

2000 F350 4x4, AIS, 203F Tstat, SS EGR Tube
robertth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, on a 2WD truck like mine, the "thump" on take off is lack of lubrication of the slip joint splines. But eventually the grease wears off again, requiring it to be lubricated again.

I was hoping someone had a better grease than that which is recommended by Ford so that I can put more time and distance between doing the job again.
2002 2WD XLT CrewCab, 3.73 Limited Slip, Assembled 08-09-01 in Ford's Cuautitian, Mexico plant. BTS Tranny with 6.0L Cooler, Mobil 1 Synthetic transmission fluid, KC reverse backup lights with separate on/off dash switch, Undercover Bed Lid, Bilstein shocks, Gentex K-21 auto dimming/temp/compass mirror, Michelin LTX/MS2 tires, Factory Aluminum Wheels, Door Seal Mod, Ford Severe Duty AIS w/Zoodad, Royal Purple 75W-140, Fleetrite ELC Coolant, Billet Aluminium Thermostat Housing, Ford Factory Bed Liner, Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would be interested in an alternative as well. At 120k I did mine. I now have 193k and need to do it again.

The grease from Motorcraft is called XG-8 and comes in a 3 oz tube. It is called PTFE (Teflon) grease and is a light blue color. At the time I did it last, in 2007, I used about half the tube, so I think one tube is good for two applications. I have been remiss in doing mine as frequently as I should, but I think one application is good for at least 60k miles.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I used some cheap Napa multi-purpose grease. It has lasted for 150k miles and the driveline shows no sign of thumping.

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
lone_star_dsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had the same thump issue in another vehicle and i used Reese Hitch grease....like for putting it on your towing hitches..I tried this grease cause it had teflon in it...I dont know how long it actually lasted because i sold the vehicle before it acted up again....This is just another idea...
mims73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Last time I had mine apart I put a zerk on it and cut a groove in the splines to let the grease make it's way all the way around.

I installed the zerk so it would be at my distribution groove when unloaded.
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 150K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

good idea

using a zerk there . i been wanting to do that ever since i found out thats what causes thump . its been too cold out and the truck wont fit in the garage . im just gathering up all the parts i need , and waiting for the weather .
2000 F250 PSD 7.3 CCLB A/T wrecked , should of been totaled , but its back from the shop and were gona keep rollin it . it only took 3 months for the body shop to put all the peices back together again . . .
silvermullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have always thought that Mobil 1 or Chevron fully synthetic grease would work well in this application.

While these greases do not have teflon in them, their cold weather performance capabilities are much better than petroleum based greases.

I do not know if Ford's recommended lubricant for this application is synthetic or petroleum based.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Any more recommendations?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

I put a zerk fitting and use that synthetic green grease. It won't run out when it gets hot.
brotherxb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

the blue teflon grease only lasted me 6 month before it would start making noise and feel like slack being taken up. I went to the parts store and bought permetex anti seize compound in a jar with a brush. That lasted 1 1/2 years before problem again. So finally I got hold of a spare slip yolk . I had a 1/4" wide groove machine in it past the splines. I went .005" to the side past the splines. I had two grease fittings installed 180 degrees apart. So in case their was a out of balance problem . That would take care of it. Now when I grease the front end . I shoot some grease in the slip yolk. I am a happy camper now.
handsome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
You guys with the zerk fittings in the spline need to be careful about overfilling them. If you over grease and get the space between the end of the spline shaft and the socket filled with grease, it essentially becomes solid, so if you hit a big bump, the slip can't do its job of shortening the driveshaft, because of the "hydrolock" that the grease causes. That could easily damage the t-case or driveshaft as the axle tries to compress the driveshaft.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

It is tempting to fill the grooves in the spline with grease (XG-8, etc) but it makes for a real air tight seal and makes it difficult to push the axle over the spline and to pull back off. I know that for a reason.

I'm just wondering: the jerk that we get at take off is caused by the yoke not slipping or slipping too much?

It is amazing what an easy thing this is to fix. For the time and cost involved, this is a great way to improve the drive and protect the transfer case and differential from being jarred at take off.

If you feel a jerk a split second after take off from a dead stop...regreasing the slip yoke with something like XG-8 will (probably) fix it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.