Small inline fuel filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Small inline fuel filter

Just added a Raptor 150 lift pump to the truck and need to know what type of small inline fuel filter I can use between the tank and the Raptor. I have a Baldwin screw on filter in between the Raptor and hp fuel pump. Just wanted to give the Raptor a little bit of protection. Any suggestions?
99 250 Crew Cab SB 4x4 XLT 7.3 (Build Date: August of 98) Tymar intake, CCV mod, Superchipped, Walbro fuel pump, Raptor 150 helper pump, Hutch and Harpooned tank, 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, Cold A/C mod, DB Electric starter, 4" straight through exhaust, Autoenginuity, Fumoto Valve, Riffraff FRX, Stancor GPR, Riffraff SS HPX, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite transmission filter, Oil bypass filter.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Wix 33033 inline filter here at the house, but didn't know if that was gonna be the correct route to take.
99 250 Crew Cab SB 4x4 XLT 7.3 (Build Date: August of 98) Tymar intake, CCV mod, Superchipped, Walbro fuel pump, Raptor 150 helper pump, Hutch and Harpooned tank, 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, Cold A/C mod, DB Electric starter, 4" straight through exhaust, Autoenginuity, Fumoto Valve, Riffraff FRX, Stancor GPR, Riffraff SS HPX, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite transmission filter, Oil bypass filter.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

That isn't a filter I would use. I would use a wire mesh filter for that application. Wix has them too.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I got mine at napa, it is bk7309562. 3/8 inch see through with a replaceable mesh screen. It's nice to be able to see the screen for replacement purposes. Around 14 dollars.

Here is a pic of it installed: http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=IM004929.jpg
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX

Last edited by tbpower; 05-03-2010 at 10:09 AM.
tbpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Got one ordered from Napa. The guy at the Napa store said they used to stock them, but he said that no one has bought any in about 3 years or so.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpower View Post
I got mine at napa, it is bk7309562. 3/8 inch see through with a replaceable mesh screen. It's nice to be able to see the screen for replacement purposes. Around 14 dollars.

Here is a pic of it installed: bk 7309562 (Napa fuel filter) picture by galexander - Photobucket
That looks like a decent filter for lawnmower.

Something similar to this is what I would use.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...asp?Part=33253

Last edited by 444-4D; 05-04-2010 at 08:04 PM.
444-4D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
That looks like a decent filter for lawnmower.

Something similar to this is what I would use.
Part Detail

Your lawn mower analogy is kind of weird. Obviously this is not the primary filter. Do you think that filter is going to reduce the life of the pump?
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpower View Post
Your lawn mower analogy is kind of weird. Obviously this is not the primary filter. Do you think that filter is going to reduce the life of the pump?
What I think is, that filter is a POS for any application except perhaps a lawn mower. Those things once littered the counter and end caps in every auto parts store on the planet.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Have you done the in tank mods, or does the raptor pump go inside the tank? What made you decide on using the Raptor pump? What kind of PSI and GPM is it rated at? Diesel rated? How does it compare cost wise with the more popular options?

If you have not done the in tank mods, then you've already got 2 cylinder shaped screens in the mixing chamber that will protect your new pump (unless the pump is going in the tank.) I use a filter from Baldwin that looks like a cross of the 2 pictured above. It's clear plastic with a visible screen on the inside. I spent a good deal of time on the phone talking to one of the engineers at Baldwin when I settled on that filter. Mine is rated at 100 micron, which is what Baldwin recommended for a pre-pump application. They had other 100 micron filters, but I liked the clear outer shell so I could see what kind of shape it's in.

I see that 444-4d is using a 120 micron filter, which oddly enough looks just like the one on my riding lawnmower I don't know the micron rating for the one tbpower is using. Just make sure your filter is diesel rated and not made of galvanized steel.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
I see that 444-4d is using a 120 micron filter
I'm not using that filter or any other inline filter. That was the first picture I found to depict a wire mesh inline filter. There are many choices.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
Have you done the in tank mods, or does the raptor pump go inside the tank? What made you decide on using the Raptor pump? What kind of PSI and GPM is it rated at? Diesel rated? How does it compare cost wise with the more popular options?

If you have not done the in tank mods, then you've already got 2 cylinder shaped screens in the mixing chamber that will protect your new pump (unless the pump is going in the tank.) I use a filter from Baldwin that looks like a cross of the 2 pictured above. It's clear plastic with a visible screen on the inside. I spent a good deal of time on the phone talking to one of the engineers at Baldwin when I settled on that filter. Mine is rated at 100 micron, which is what Baldwin recommended for a pre-pump application. They had other 100 micron filters, but I liked the clear outer shell so I could see what kind of shape it's in.

I see that 444-4d is using a 120 micron filter, which oddly enough looks just like the one on my riding lawnmower I don't know the micron rating for the one tbpower is using. Just make sure your filter is diesel rated and not made of galvanized steel.

Yes, I did the intank mods this past weekend. I got the kit from ITP. The only reason I went for the Raptor pump is because a friend of mine had it on his truck for a couple of weeks and gave me a smokin good deal on it. Otherwise, I would have went with a Carter lift pump. The Raptor new is around $ 400.00 and I just couldn't swing that on this go round. I know that it puts out 150 GPH, but don't know what the PSI is set at right now, but it is adjustable. Since doing the tank mod it has made the engine quieter and I love how the tank fills up.
Attached Thumbnails
Small inline fuel filter-img00153-20100505-1639-640-.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Fixing to go outside and throw on the Napa bk7309562 in line filter and I should be in business.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Small inline fuel filter-img00154-20100505-1830-640-.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

(Quote) I use a filter from Baldwin that looks like a cross of the 2 pictured above. It's clear plastic with a visible screen on the inside. I spent a good deal of time on the phone talking to one of the engineers at Baldwin when I settled on that filter. Mine is rated at 100 micron, which is what Baldwin recommended for a pre-pump application. They had other 100 micron filters, but I liked the clear outer shell so I could see what kind of shape it's in.

Do you have that Baldwin # by chance?

Last edited by Slowmo; 05-05-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: need to know that was a quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is the one Chris was talking about: Baldwin # BF7725 Primary Fuel Filter | Specialty metric screws for your motorcycle as well as Fuel, Lube, and Air filters for your car or truck.

He said it is a little smaller than 3/8 inch but did not have a problem with it leaking. He also gave me this link: Worldwide Retail Locator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.