Smell Diesel Fuel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smell Diesel Fuel

I just developed a leak from somewhere. I noticed the smell of diesel was pretty strong. I can see a puddle of something (diesel) after taking off the fuel filter shroud and I look down behind the fuel filter and through all the wires on the engine block.

What are the likely culprits? The o-ring on the water separator? The turbo is leaking? Any ideas from any one who has been here? I have a 2000 PSD. My most recent change was switching to the new air filter system.

Thanks,
Bob

2000 F350 4x4, AIS, 203F Tstat, SS EGR Tube
robertth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Smell Diesel Fuel

I had a similar thing...
I was at the store and noticed a dripping under my truck..It was diesel.
I drove to my buddies shop and nothing, no drip, nada, zilch....
Do these things xome and go ????
Old 12-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

ive got almost the same problem. I can smell the diesel in the cab. but there is no puddle under the truck. there is a small amount of (i believe) oil in the valley under the turbo. But as for diesel.. i cannot find where it is leaking from.
Viper 5900 remote start/alarm w/ one mile range - Pioneer D3 nav - 2500 watt power inverter - Harley headlights - Recon smoked cab lights - ebay 2.5" axle mounted leveling kit
DieselSite coolant filter- added at 39k
8ft WESTERN Pro-Plus w/ back drag blade
6000k slim ballast hi/lo H13 headlights and H10 fog HID kits from ddmtuning.com

to be done mods.. Innovative SCT X3, Edge Insight CTS w/ egt, oil bypass

88 mustang hatch- 347 stroker - for the strip
88 mustang vert- 4.6 DOHC gt-45 turbo - street car
calabrese19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Robertth,

I would vote first for the o-rings around the water seperator. There's a very good write up (a sticky, no less) at the top of this forum with pics.

RobertJohn,

I had a fuel leak that was traced to the vibralok gaskets on the fuel lines going to the cylinder heads. If these seals are moving, that could easily explain why your fuel leak would come and go. I copied a write-up that I made when I chased down, found and repaired my leak. The info might help you to look for possible problem areas. Here's that write up:

I JUST finished fixing a leak that is exactly as you are posting. Mine was only much smaller, but coming down in the same spot. The fuel was running down the back of the cylinder head, over/through the exhaust manifold, down the block and over the starter and onto the ground.

Apparently the fuel line that supplies the cylinder heads enters in at the rear of the RH head (viewed as if you are sitting in the driver's seat ) and the front of the LH head. It's a 1/4" metal line that has a fitting that needs a 9/16" wrench. This fitting goes into a check valve that goes into the head. To see this little s**t, look a little left of your turbo, and right next to your exhaust pipe. You should see a little metal line disappearing out of sight. For me, I loosened the one pipe going to the cooler and the exhaust clamp. This gave me enough room to get my hand and arm down in there and take off that fitting. Once the fitting is loose, you'll see a little rubber seal/donut/whatever. Ford sells a kit (F81Z-9C387-BA) that will have four 1/4" seals, one 3/8" seal and one 5/16" seal for around $17-20. (One of the other guys suggested going to NAPA and for about 50 cents each, you could get the same thing, or maybe try a hydraulics shop. They're called "vibralock" fittings, and what you want is the rubber ferrule. The fuel return line is 5/16" OD. They’re also available from McMaster-Carr on the web.) I had a ROUGH time getting the seals on and off because I could only get one hand in there. Also, it was in the low 30s when I did this so I warmed up the seals in the microwave with water. This made them more pliable. BUT, I still had to loosen the other end of the line, which is coming out of the filter housing. (Also, there's a clamp for this line next to the turbo pedestal.) Lube the seals with engine oil and you're all set.

One other possibility...on the BACK side of the cylinder head (that is to say, farther blow and outboard of the above fitting.) is a plug that has a ( I think ) female fitting that can also be another possibility. Between the two though, I would point a finger at the first one.

I hope this will help both of you guys.
Jon in American Fork
2002 F-250 Lariat 4X4 Auto PSD CC SRW. Banks 4" Monster Exh, aFe Stage II w/PG 7, TAG II + Hi-Perf Comp Wheel, X-Monitor, SCMT 1705, fuel tank and pre-pump mods, harpooned tank, Zoodad air, always bright overhead, fuel regulator shim, HX oil hose, 2003 Lighted Mirrors, 203* T Stat, Rancho 9000XLs, C-Btr Mirrors, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, Brakesmart and Titan V. 6.0 Tranny Cooler, door seal mod, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads, HIDs installed in '05 headlights.

My Pictures
JonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks,

I'm going to switch to the other thread (sticky) since this seems to be duplicative.

Bob

Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll try the "O" ring then move on if that doesn't help....
Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

In my case it started after the change-over to the ULSD fuel in mid October, turned out it was leaking only when it was running from the fuel filter. Tightened the fuel filter a quarter turn and it went away.
PWRBYIH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lots of post on this ULSD induced fuel leak. My truck was rented out to the mice in the barn for all of last summer. (side note off point - even though I have stored my 86 diesel ranger in the barn and then checked the air filter for a mouse nest and had mice in a stored 92 I went DUMB and just cranked and drove - many swear words later I removed the heater fan and cleaned and re-oiled the air filter)
Anyhow was talking to an Intl. Mech as he checked my coolant and he told me about ULSD and how they were replacing the O rings. Went in one ear and out the other.

Then trying to prep myself for pulling RV trailers to Canada (pulled one to NB and another to Edmonton AB) I decided for the first time after 60,000 miles to drain the engine FW separator (even though I have a Racor spinOn). Not that caused the problem but seemed to me to be the cause. Other post have recommended opening and closing the yellow lever while the engine was running which I too did even though had not read post at that time. It seemed to work. Also I started the engine in the morning and ran for about 5 min an then shut down to let the heat migrate. Also plugged in for the night when I could. The colder the temp the worse the problem.

Finally in Sun Valley Id at 9 F it got so bad that I had to do SOMETHING.

After a mirror and flashlight confirmed that ford would make it as difficult as possible I saw that the screws needed what I have now learned is a #20 torx bit which I did not have with me. Neighbor did though. I DUCT TAPED the bit to my 1/4 in ratchet and just tightened the little bast#$%. So far so good. Gets warm though I for sure have a job to do.

For me most of the rest of the fuel lines are metal to metal connections (modified from tank to rails)
ab319320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just did mine.

Garmon's Diesel Performance (bang bang bang)

01' F250 CC 7.3
6.5" ProComp on 35's Motometal 951's
03' headlights/corners, billet grill, Alpine/XM
16.5:1, Mahle's .0050 with harden forged
Comp 910's, 4130 pushrods, Mac/K&N
H11 studs, HT turbo, DP tuned,
Bean's singles/plentums, DI's fuel system
Mag-Hytec cover, Autometer gauges
Built trans with Red Altos/Mojo VB/PI triple disc.

My Rig
Atlantaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I just developed a leak from somewhere. I noticed the smell of diesel was pretty strong. I can see a puddle of something (diesel) after taking off the fuel filter shroud and I look down behind the fuel filter and through all the wires on the engine block.

What are the likely culprits? The o-ring on the water separator? The turbo is leaking? Any ideas from any one who has been here? I have a 2000 PSD. My most recent change was switching to the new air filter system.

Thanks,
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

No fuel goes near the turbo. This puddle below the fuel filter leads me to think your fuel drain value is leaking. Clean everything up, than use a small mirror to trace this leak with engine running.
2001 Ford F-250 PS, CC, 2/w drive short bed, auto(BTS upgrade), Banks Stinger Plus and exhaust brake, TurboSaver, HX,Hutch mod/pooned, K&N FIPK, Mag-Hytec trans and diff pans, Cyclone fan, doodad, Bilstein shocks, Air-lifts front and rear, dp-Tuner F-5 chip, Fleetrite/203therm, fuel regulator shim, GOS headlight harness/silverstars, Bob's coolent filter, Rotella Syn w/single by-pass.
HoneyShucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wish I could figure out how to do it! I have a small torx t20 bit meant for a 1/4" socket, but couldn't get it to work. I looked for the L-shaped posted in the "sticky" discussion of this problem, but could not find - have tried sears and autozone. So, I'm going to go back to the socket method tomorrow and hopefully I'll be successful. I found a hydraulics place here in Tucson (Howard's) which had the Viton 75 in brown for $2.

I couldn't find the removal of the drain valve documented in the shop manuals. I'm wondering whether I should just remove the whole fuel filter housing, for which I did find a procedure, so I can clean everything and get access to the drain valve. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 12-02-2006, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I can tell you that the dealer fixing this is very costly ...for a couple of o-rings and a plastic valve.
I had it done before I found these forums . it is 99% labor.

the drain valve is on the back I believe..be careful with the housing I think it costs about 600 bucks..though I think it would be hard to damage .
Old 12-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Had same prob on 2000 Excursion. O-rings for the water drain and wala no more prob. Parts from Ford way spendy, got mine from IH dealer for 15.00 or so. some one said that you could get o-rings from Cat. try searching for fuel filter housing leaks.
06 4 seat Prowler Sandrail VW 2276
Misc. Quads and toys
1 GREAT WIFE 2 KIDS
sdnanney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.