Smokes bad at idle !!!??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smokes bad at idle !!!???

This is my first post to your great forum! thank you all for the great info. I have been lurking for a while now and reading so much that my wife is begining to hate the computer so here is the deal I have a 2000 F-350 Crew, at an idle and every morning start this thing pours white smoke Bad!! really bad!! after it is warmed up and driving there is no white smoke, only black when I floor it, and only sometimes smokes white at an idle when warm, sometimes none at all and other times it pours white smoke that defenitly smells like diesel, not water or oil. so my ? is what do you think this is from? I am at a loss here. I have read many similar posts about this same problem, thank you for your help. I have tried all settings on the edge tuner and it does it in all modes, these are the codes i have seen over the last few months ... 1249,0603,1316,0236,1211, and 0541 but I dont know what they mean? any and all help is greatly appreacited. thank you all..

Bryan
Bergerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Bad injector maybe?

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...t=1&thecat=500
Tipher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

1249-wastegate control valve performance malfunction
0603-PCM keep alive memory error
1316-injector driver module codes detected/performance
0236-turbo/super boost sensor A CKT range performance
1211-injector control pressure beyond desired (engine running)
0541-intake air heater A circuit low

Bryan, it appear to me with these codes your probably outstripping your performance capabilities. Besides the Edge, what other mods do you have?
Tuners give you more fuel, means you need more air,makes more heat,need more exhaust etc...etc..
-Bully dog 6, BTS trans w/ 6.0 cooler, 175 cc single-shots from Swamp's Diesel, 4" turbo-back, AFE Stage Two w/ Pro 7, Autometer pillar gauges, DB starter, foil delete, 3" Tuff Country level kit, on board air, truck horns, bellowed up pipes, big ball in the bed.
!!BTS BUBBA!!
Carbon_Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your replies, It has 4" exhaust from the turbo back and a 4" intake with a high flow filter, a boost fooler and Garrett GTP38R turbo, other than that stock with 75,000 miles. thanks again for any help.

Bryan
Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerson View Post
Thank you for your replies, It has 4" exhaust from the turbo back and a 4" intake with a high flow filter, a boost fooler and Garrett GTP38R turbo, other than that stock with 75,000 miles. thanks again for any help.

Bryan
Clear the codes & see what comes back,,,

You may need to run some live data tests ,,,Check EOT as it compares to ambient air temp ...

Mine smoked alot at the time I got it ,, Not sure why it quit ,,,

May have been the IPR switch that fixed mine ....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

You don't say where you live and at what outside air temperature this is happening. Has your AIH been deleted or disconnected? That will cause white smoke. Also what about your glow plugs? Bad plugs will also cause cold start white smoke. My .02
jgr
2000 F350, Ecab, LWB, SRW, 4X2, ZF6, Full Gauges, Ebrake, Chipped 271rwhp/584tq, Scan gauge II, Coolantfilter, fumoto valve, oil by-pass filter, CCV mod with return to intake, dahl 100, 40 gal. aux tank, straight piped, PML cover, 203 stat and billet, AIS, Zoodad
pristine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Bryan, missed it earlier but welcome to the forum. Also, these guys WILL eventually be able to help you out. As for me, if the rig runs O.K. after you get it started then I'd be leaning towards glow plugs as well. See there you go-.04 already
-Bully dog 6, BTS trans w/ 6.0 cooler, 175 cc single-shots from Swamp's Diesel, 4" turbo-back, AFE Stage Two w/ Pro 7, Autometer pillar gauges, DB starter, foil delete, 3" Tuff Country level kit, on board air, truck horns, bellowed up pipes, big ball in the bed.
!!BTS BUBBA!!
Carbon_Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, well today it is near 55-60 outside and i just started it up, the reighbors house dissapeared in a cloud of white smoke..... after warming up it gets better, but at an idle it still smokes pretty bad, I guess I will try new glow plugs, and I believe the air intake heater has been removed as it has a ats intake and filter now. I think it is gone...

Thanks for all the help
Old 03-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

any other ideas?? I changed the glow plugs this afternoon and still smokes like it did before, although what is weird is that when I first start it up it takes about 10-15 seconds before it starts the white smoke, then it continues until i drive it up to operating temp then the white cloud is gone??? I am at a loss here.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

well I guess I will take it to the ford dealer on Monday , I cant seem to figure out what is making the truck do this, thanks for the help guys..
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Duhibrokeit Send a message via Yahoo to Duhibrokeit
My 95 that I just got does something similar. Nothing to big I hope, I just touch the throttle and get the rpm to about 1K for a few times, and it clears right out. I am wondering if he changed the glowplugs, but how is his relay? (shot in the dark here) I would like to know what fixes your smoke(mine is blueish & white) , but then I wont be able to play Houdini, and make my coworkers disappear as I leave work. It isn’t the white smoke when the OAT temps are low.
95 SC, 4x4, E4OD, CCV mod, DIY intake, autometer egt/boost/trans pod, downpipe, stock WW, lost my kitty and muffler. Update, Muffler was found, and lost the drone while pulling. 50 gal aux transfer flow tank, DP Tuner... 1300 idle, 60/80/100 , HPX line installed in 2008-failed Nov 2012! It is somewhere... never to return again!
Duhibrokeit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

I bet its the turbo got cooked. The oil seal on the exhaust side is could wore out.
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

1998-F150 4x4, LB, K&N, No Kitty, 24LB inj, CB...Wifes ride.

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
PStroked444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

OK!! Ignore that last post.....It is for another one. How did I do that?!?
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

1998-F150 4x4, LB, K&N, No Kitty, 24LB inj, CB...Wifes ride.

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
PStroked444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

well it was defenatly not as bad today, maybe the glowplugs did help a little, only did it for about 30 seconds and not nearly as bad but it was alot warmer today than yesterday morning, also I turned the key on and let it sit for about 1 mnnute before trying to turn it over... no start... so I turned the key off, back on for about 5 seconds, then started it it started right up, so maybe the relay is bad I thought they were suposed to stay on for about two minnutes before turning off.? Still bothers me tho the ammount of smoke it pours when I first start it. I am thinking some kind of sensor telling the cpu to dump more fuel than needed? I dont know much about these 7.3l's this is my first one. always had a gasser before this.. Have to say I will never own anoter gas truck again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.