The Smoking Gun --

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  woodnthings8 
#1 · (Edited)
For my long crank problem.

Bad top injector o-rings

Notice anything amiss?

Here's a closer look.

Bad injector o-rings - closer view

My crank times had been getting longer, and when it lit off, it would rattle as the IPR tried to get the HP oil pressure back down to the proper level. An AE scan showed IPR going up to 40% or so, then ICP taking off to 1800-2000 psi when it started. It was like having a 10k mod installed for a few seconds on start as the PCM got things under control. No problems running once it got started, but I imaging there was a little oil geyser erupting beside that injector as it was running.

A scan with either side HP hose blocked off showed that the pasenger side was the culprit, with IPR duty cycle being in the 12-13% range for passenger side with the driver side at about 11.5%.

This was #3, and all the cushion rings on that side showed some wear at the joint in the steel backup ring, and only #7 had an apparently unmarked o-ring.

Only issue with replacing the o-rings was that the LAST package had two of the square cut cushion rings and no round o-ring for the top groove. Since International was closed on Saturday, I had to run into to Ford to get another set.
I'm going to talk with International about getting a replacement set or refund because of the bad QC on that set. Hopefully, they'll continue to be good guys.

Starts up like it should now. 👍

See less See more
#2 ·
Good deal, that you found your issue. I hate it when I get a "new" part or kit that is missing or built wrong!

Glad to hear you got it fixed though!

#3 ·
looks like the oil cleaned the injector body real good at the point of the geyser :lol:

#4 ·
Yeah, I noticed that too.

It's been over a month since I noticed the long crank times (actually, it's been right at 4000 miles, since I did an oil change and IPR change about then). It included a weekend trip of 600 miles over Labor day weekend with the camper on. That probably helped remove a few crud molecules from the injector body.

#5 · (Edited)
The Smoking Gun - Part Deux

Friday on the way home from work, I made a stop, and when I started the truck back up, I had to crank forever to get it to fire. Managed to get it home and hooked up AE and found that IPR duty cycle was going up over 50%and ICP never made it over 200 psi.

Here's what I found when I pulled the driver's side injectors. This is #'s 4, 6, & 8.
Injectors 4, 6, & 8

Here's the blowouts on #'s 4 & 6

These tested fine when I did the passenger side last week, but based on the condition of all of the upper o-rings (only one of the round ones was unmarked at the backup ring gap), I should have done them all then.

This could have been expensive if they had blown out on the road halfway between Valdez and Anchorage. Talk about a big tow bill. :ack:

Moral of the story - if you have an injector o-ring leak, change them all.

#9 ·
Are the O rings built to stand up to the low sulfur diesel? or are they of the older style?

Am looking at changing out the injectors at the same time that the glow sticks are changed out... with it as a van and room ... more like what room.... best thought that it would be better to change out a number of things at the same time.. keep from going back in again.

#10 ·
If it were me, I would spend the $100 in new o-rings and do them while you have it apart!

#11 ·
It is a van so I am going to have injectors changed out, glow plugs changed and the gaskets for both sides changed out..

I am just checking to see if the o rings used today are to stand up to the low sulfur diesel that we all have to use.... I know that the fuel drain look to have taken out another set of o rings...... I can just think of what the o rings on the injectors are starting to look like if they are not already there........

#12 ·
I have not had any problems with the o-rings and ULSD. But I know I have a set of the Flouro ones for the drain valve when it comes time. I would make sure you get good quality o-rings like the Alliant ones as most everyone recommends them over some of the others out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.