spun the turbo? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
spun the turbo?

hey all, been a few..so i have 8k on a re-man cat motor from international. at the 14 month mark and 6500k it shot an injector. they covered it even tho it was out ofthe 12 month warrenty.. at 16 months its had another 3 injectors replaced plus the O rings on 2 others (not covered).. this morning, pulling away froma red light i hear this hideos sound that sounds like a spun bearing on the turbo. now i get this high pitched whining sound with the rev of the motor.... they raised concerns about the tuner when it went in for the 1st inj. could the tuner set at 60hp eco, have had anything to do with this problem...i dont think so myself, but i know its gonna come up... i have till august on the remaining warrenty as long as its NOT and electrical issue (cat gave me 2yrs unlimited miles, but only one yr on anything with wires running to it ...) sorry for all the wind but i am ready to burn this rig to the ground
14" K&N cone Breather,4 Pos DP Tuner
Isspro EV Guages X3,Toned Badges
Hydrolocked motor at 162k <---- REplaced with a Caterpillar reman crate motor that had 3 injectors & 2 GlowPLugs and the Turbo canned with in the first year
Toorglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorglide View Post
hey all, been a few..so i have 8k on a re-man cat motor from international. at the 14 month mark and 6500k it shot an injector. they covered it even tho it was out ofthe 12 month warrenty.. at 16 months its had another 3 injectors replaced plus the O rings on 2 others (not covered).. this morning, pulling away froma red light i hear this hideos sound that sounds like a spun bearing on the turbo. now i get this high pitched whining sound with the rev of the motor.... they raised concerns about the tuner when it went in for the 1st inj. could the tuner set at 60hp eco, have had anything to do with this problem...i dont think so myself, but i know its gonna come up... i have till august on the remaining warrenty as long as its NOT and electrical issue (cat gave me 2yrs unlimited miles, but only one yr on anything with wires running to it ...) sorry for all the wind but i am ready to burn this rig to the ground
Yes, its very possibly overboost the turbo (stock?) and kill it over time. Leaving a red light is exactly how I killed my last turbo. What kind of boost numbers have you been hitting with that tune?

As for the injectors, MANY 7.3 owners drive with hot tunes for a long time and never have an issue with an injector. How did they diagnose that the injectors needed to be replaced?
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

50 State + Canada Diesel Shops

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site

Last edited by rammertide07; 01-28-2013 at 09:57 AM.
rammertide07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

no boost over 10 and it wasnt a hot shot off the line, just a little more than easy takeoff
been getting the SES light fluttering on and off when its cold and accelerating but doesnt come on after warm

the injectors wernt oiling

how much for a new or used turbo

thx4the reply rammer
Hydrolocked motor at 162k <---- REplaced with a Caterpillar reman crate motor that had 3 injectors & 2 GlowPLugs and the Turbo canned with in the first year

Last edited by Toorglide; 01-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
no boost over 10 and it wasnt a hot shot off the line, just a little more than easy takeoff
been getting the SES light fluttering on and off when its cold and accelerating but doesnt come on after warm

the injectors wernt oiling

how much for a new or used turbo

thx4the reply rammer
You should have been making more than 10lbs, may have had a boost leak or bad waste gate solenoid. I would take the intake off and check for shaft play before buying another turbo....just to verify. A new stock turbo is about $1250. And for another $200-$300 you can get a ball bearing turbo that will withstand the abuse.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can rebuild your turbo for about a hundred bucks. If I had to guess, whoever rebuild your motor went nutso with the silicone. Little chunks break away and clog the oil passageways. Until you get all that crap out of the oil system - you won't be able to prevent this from happening.

Garrett GTP38 Turbo Rebuild kit

I would suggest pulling the turbo, then cranking the engine with rags all over the pedestal to allow oil to flow. Hopefully you'll wash out some chunks. Then, make sure you blow all the oil passageways clean when you rebuild it. Don't forget to pre-lube the turbo before re-installation.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks fellas
i know more than when i started. if i drive it until someone makes a decision whether they warranty it or not...
what will be the progression of failure? all at once or gradually worse until it shuts down

i really bumbed about my luck with this motor. seems like since i decided to keep the truck it has been a money pit. IDM,wire harness,injectors, now turbo..the OL is not happy
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks fellas
i know more than when i started. if i drive it until someone makes a decision whether they warranty it or not...
what will be the progression of failure? all at once or gradually worse until it shuts down

i really bumbed about my luck with this motor. seems like since i decided to keep the truck it has been a money pit. IDM,wire harness,injectors, now turbo..the OL is not happy
If it is the turbo and you need the truck daily, I would be already be pricing. I went about 200 miles after my turbo started whining until my truck started smoking from the oil it was burning. If it does that, it can run on just the oil even after the key is turned off. Then you have to shove a rag into the intake to choke it out.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
RT

Yep - also, you can mess up the shaft to where its not rebuildable.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.