The Diesel Stop banner

Starter engages without key

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Greg687 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I was out shopping for a vehicle with my wife tonight. While talking to the salesman, my truck tried to turn over while my key was hanging from my belt loop. Figured it would be a good idea to get it home.
Started the truck and noticed the starter engages while in park and neutral. Got it home, shut her down and as I was about to enter my house, she started cranking. I had to disconnect the batteries to get her to stop. Also, the overdrive off light blinks.
I also noticed I can turn the ignition cylinder just a little, without key, for the radio to come on. Is this an ignition cylinder issue or ignition switch issue?

Any clues?? I'm not much of a mechanic and electrical issue confuse me to no end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have a 2001 f250.

Thanks a bunch,
Shawn

#2 ·
Your starter solenoid may be on the way out, thus causing it to intermittently complete the circuit to your starter. If the starter is intermittently kicking over while the truck is running it could be putting an unknown force on the flywheel thus causing your trans to throw a fault code and your OD light to flash. Mark Kovalsky could speak to the transmission thing a lot better than i can. I would start by having the codes read, then changing the starter and clearing the codes. Solenoid is a cheap fix, just be sure to disconnect both batteries while changing it. I have never had this issue myself but that is where I would start.

#4 ·
It's a DLPS " Digital Lever Position Sensor". There ~$57 at parts stores. I would disconnect the starter solenoid wire on the fender til you find the trouble. I had to put in a temp manual start button, the GEM module had gone to hell so the key switch wouldn't start it. I think your 2001 doesn't have the GEM, if your starter switch is anything like my 99.5, you have to remove the whole dash to get at it.

#5 ·
you can also look at your wiring behind the radio. there is a wire that will activate the starter if it get 12V, Do not recall witch one.

Reactions: BubbaLuvsTruckin
#6 · (Edited)
I would check the output of the ignition switch before swapping anything else out. Since you found some looseness in the key causing the radio to turn on, I would check the ignition switch. The whole dash doesn't need to be removed to get at the ignition switch. It's accessible thru the fuse access panel. I'm talking about the actual switch, not the key cylinder.

The 2001 does have a GEM, but there's no connection between the GEM and starter circuit.

The DTRS (Digital Transmission Range Switch) doesn't get power till the ignition switch closes the circuit. Check this post for the details on the starting circuit. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/99-7-3l-will-not-start-key-598953/#post4304353 Basically the same problem only in reverse (no power to starter relay control terminal.)

A short to power to the wire going to the starter relay circuit is a possibility, but not as likely as an ignition switch problem. That would take two wires (one always powered) chafing together.

#7 ·
This is my story to a T from the original thread poster. Trying to get my 2001 F450 7.3L figured out. It tries to start in park and nuetral. Does not try and start in R or Drive. With key in or out of ignition it doesn't matter. I did try and replace the Nuetral swithc and starter solenoid today and still is trying tostart. I seen a mention of a wire behind radio for 12V. Would anyone have clarity on that? I here some "noises" when key is out of ignition like something maybe shortening out. It's done it for a few years I just drive it daily so it doesn't kill the batteries. Not sure if problem is related just know my starter is engaging with no key in ignition. Any thought greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
See the post just above yours. Check the ignition switch and for voltage at the small wire on the starter relay on the passenger side fender. Should be pretty simple to track down.

#9 ·
Thanks for your help. i had already changed the neutral switch and think I put it on wrong as I tapped it on to get over the shaft. Going to swap out again and did'nt know if there is anything special when installing other than sanding/cleaning the shaft as good as I can. or just line the pin and slide on or put in a certain gear? Right now, when changing gears it is really tight reason i am going to replace wit a warranty one. I did change the ignition switch since the noise was coming from there and it is no longer making the "buzzing" noise that was intermittent and the truck is no longer trying to start in park or nuetral. Thanks for all this info as I have 2- 7.3 trucks one a dump 4x4 f450 auto and the other a 99 f250 ext cab long bed 4x4 manual. This issue is on the auto dump truck.

#10 ·
The "precision transmissions" guy on Youtube has a tear down of our trans, and he takes out the NSS and shows how it's supposed to be installed. My memory is, trans in neutral, you have to line up 2 notches on the switch when it goes on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.