The Diesel Stop banner

Starter Issues

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TonkaThunder 
#1 ·
Ok, so I put a new starter on this afternoon. I go to put the positive battery cables back on and the truck starts cranking. The keys are sitting in my pocket, the clutch is not depressed. Why is it cranking without outside input? Am I missing something obvious? I know I didn't put the wire on wrong, there is one big wire, and one small wire. They are not touching. Did I just get a bad starter? I already have another starter coming to my store, so I can try it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Disconnnect the small wire from the starter then reconnect the battery. If the starter still cranks you've got a bad starter. Otherwise the fault is in your truck's wiring (bad ignition switch, stuck starter interlock relay, etc....)

#3 ·
This just happened to my 7.3. It kept draining my battery so it would never start. We tried jumping it. The second you connect all the jumper cables it would start to crank (with the keys still in my pocket). The jumper cable clamps would get soooo hot they started smoking and melting the insulation on them and buring my hands in the process while trying to take them off. So I got it towed to a shop and they replaced the started (yes I know a stuck started is common and hitting it is a quick fix sometimes). But I just thought I'd bite the bullet and get it replaced.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, so as long as this has happened to other people. Because I have never heard of this happening before. I will take off the little wire first, then its only 2 more bolts and a nut and its done to try her again. The stupid part was that I had it in gear when I was puttin the cables on.:nono::nono::nono: That'll scare the stuff right oughta ya!:jester:

#5 ·
So I just got the starter on today. She didn't crank when I put the battery cables back on, and best of all she started right up!!! Now the real test is to see if I have any more starting issues.

#7 ·
Its a real easy replacement, especially if your truck is lifted. There are two bolts holding the starter in, then you have two nuts to take off for the power and signal wire. Just don't forget to disconnect the batteries!:nono: I had compound failures leading to my diagnosis that the starter was failing. How are your batteries? How are your battery connections? How many AMPs is your alt. putting out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.