The Diesel Stop banner

Starters??

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Absolute 
#1 ·
Have an interesting issue with my starter. My old one started to pack it in. About once a month it would not pop out all the way and do a grind. Second attempt works fine. Once freezing temps arrived it started doing it a lot, and I noticed it was weak as well. Went to Napa to get a new one. They had two , Motorcraft, and can't remember the other but it was an odd name I never heard of. The Napa rep said the odd name one was better, but quite a bit more, and the Motorcraft one is the stock ford product. So I went with that. The odd named one looked the same except the face were the gear pops out had three black screws holding it on, were the stock one did not. Any way I get home and do the swap. Take my core back. When I started it, it was real strong which is great, but it retracted slow and would do a slight grind as it did and you could hear it keep spinning down since the motor would spin it up since it retracted slow. So I'm baffled why?? Look in the box, and there are no less than 10 small sheets of paper with ford disclosures and notifications. All for ford excursions and f350. One clearly states my issue may occur, and the solution is to replace the solenoid???? Since its built onto the starter, do I just keep exchanging starters until I get one that works?? Or is there a solenoid I can get to fix this?? Or do I abandon the ford product and get the odd named thing??

#2 ·
This is what you want.... High Torque gear drive starter...

From Summit Racing;

Brand:powermaster
Manufacturer's Part Number: 9051
Part Type:Starters
Product Line:powermaster OEM-Style High-Torque Replacement Starters
Summit Racing Part Number:pWM-9051

$246.00 with free shipping

#3 ·
If I lived in the US I would jump right on that. This one was 350 bucks. Up hear we have limited options and very limited after markets. When I did my build I bought almost all my performance parts from the US.

#4 ·
I went to that site to have a look. It says it fits my truck, but I can see it has 3 mount bolts, were as mine has 2. Also I notice the "gear cone" part sticks out way farther on that one and mine is very short. The Napa guy said some had 3 bolts, but couldn't show me one on his screen, they all had 2. I'll try Lordco, maybe they have some thing different.

#5 ·
I recently changed mine on my 2000 Excursion....[15 years & 250K on it] and thought it was about time

And Yes, it's a 3 bolt.....but the mechanic had no trouble with it....

It was a little bit difficult to get the top bolt in, but really not a problem....

Do a search of the postings and find where they talk about it...

The gear drive is much superior to just the torque unit....spins it much faster for faster starts...

I don't understand the shipping arrangements that you must go thru...

BUT, I can't see why you can't order from them....and have it shipped to you...

Tariffs ???? I not versed in that kind of matter, so I really don't know and can't help you...
Take Care

Tony

#6 ·
Ya my starter only has 2 bolts. Unless there is a third hole there covered up that the factory never used. I'd have to pull it and look before I ordered a 3 bolt one. Il tear it down this weekend and have a look. Put up with the little grind for now. It said its the starter that will go prematurely if it does this, hope my fly wheel will be ok. Don't know why they even sell a 2 bolt one if its supposed to have 3??? The stock one was 2 as well, didn't even have a 3rd hole. I'm stumped. Havn't called lordco yet, been too busy finally working. They usually have more options. Shipping, duty and dollar difference bring that starter up to about 450 bucks. So Id like to find one here if I can. Wonder if International has a good one???

#7 ·
I just replaced my starter in my mother-n-laws driveway 1100 miles from home with all my good tools at home in my garage. Mine was a two bolt starter and I replaced it with a two bolt. However the mounting flange on the engine has three holes. Anyway I bought an Autozone gold with a lifetime warranty. They did show a 3 bolt on their screen.

#8 ·
My starter is the OEM 3 bolt. Ford changed to a 2-bolt mount starter midway thru 7.3L production, but the mounting point didn't change. You can use either a 2 or 3 bolt starter.

#9 ·
OK, I'm going to get the 3 bolt then. Thanks for the info. Never knew that extra hole was there. Even after my build. Never noticed. Lol

#10 ·
3 bolt is the direct drive Mitsubishi dog. The 2 bolt is a gear reduction Visteon and is considered quite an upgrade over the Mitsubishi. If you really want an upgrade, the genuine Nippondenso that IH used is the best out there.

#12 ·
Kinda-sorta, but not really. PowerMaster is a US company that designed their own gear reduction starter. They were making them in the US until they got too big and swapped production to China. Nippondenso is a Japanese company. They make the OEM starters for International. The trouble is, for every one real Made in Japan Nippo, there are 1000 Chinaclones out there. 228000-8420 is the part number and they ain't cheap. Here's one of the real ones - Diesel Equipment Company :: P/S 95-UP ALL TRANS

The clones go for about half that.

#13 ·
#15 · (Edited)
Is it the real deal? Isn't there something about a green tag or a "Japan" stsmp on the genuine articles? Or do the Chinaclones fake that?

Thanks

#14 ·
That looks like a better price! Still havnt taken the crappy one out. No time. And its pouring out for days now. How do you tell if its a clone or not? I have some IH dealers near me, but don't know what to look for?

#16 ·
Bought my high torque about 2 years ago and for the most part is was a simple change out. The only challenge that had to be worked through was shimming it some to match up but once the right shim was in place have had 0 challenges with it over the years.
CarQuest had it at 305.00 then.. there was no core at the time so I have an older style to rebuild at some point for a spare on the shelf.

#17 ·
I was told there had to be a green sticker,which that has. It has worked flawless just like it should. It uses the 3 bolts to mount with and new bolts came with it,the only other mod I had to do the battery cable ring has a little catch that orients it on the bolt.I had to clip it off.

#18 ·
Ok, I'll check IH up here and look for a green tag if they have it. Thanks guys.

#19 ·
Ok, I found the Nippodenso starter. Forgive the spelling. It has the green tag and a green engraving on it. Works like a hot damb. Holy cow does it spin up. Disengages fine. BUT! You guys neglected to tell me it is twice the size as the stock starter, and it barely fits. It has literally 2 millimeters clearance on the back side against the cross member! Did several starts and it seems to not contact the cross member. I wasn't expecting that. Is that normal, or did I get some monstrosity by mistake that works perfectly. Hahaha. Is that supposed to be that close, or am I supposed to grind out alittle of the cross member or something? As said, it seems fine. After several test starts I couldn't see any scuffing in that area, so it seems to not contact.

#20 ·
There is occasional grinding necessary although you look like you lucked out. Its a monster, that's for sure. Did you have to modify the battery cable at all? That's the other "mod" you sometimes have to do to get it to fit.

#21 ·
It had a slot in the bolt cover for the tab mentioned, but I had to flatten out, or take the 90 out of the big power lead to get it to lay right and be long enough. That starter is way better than that stock one I just took back. Despite the grind I mean. This new one just burns rubber compared to the others. I'm real happy now guys. Thanks a lot for the info. I'll keep an eye on that clearance. If it shows signs of rubbing, I'll grind a little off the member. Seems ok though.

#22 ·
The size of the nippendenso compared to the stock is amazing.The clearances are pretty close,did you go from a 2 bolt to a 3bolt starter.That top bolt is a pain to get in.

#23 ·
The top bolt was a pain. The pyro on that side stuck just in the right spot that the wrench would not go. Had to use a small rachet to get it on, then a box end wrench on the rachet to get enough torque to get it tight. Lol. Several 4 letter words later, all was good. Actually the toughest was the first bolt because the thing was so heavy I could barely hold it up and screw the bolt in. Hahaha. What a beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.