Starts fine, idles fine, but loses power and can stall - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starts fine, idles fine, but loses power and can stall

I have a 2000 F250SD Diesel with 128K miles. I live in SoCal so it doesn't get to cold. When I start the truck in the morning, it starts fine, idles fine, but as soon as I drive it it starts losing power, running real rough and does stall if I can't baby the throttle well enough. After stalling I have to crank the engine over for at least 30-40 secs before it starts to sound like it wants to run, then it either starts or I have to try it again. After getting to restart, it runs rough for another minute, then everything is fine and it runs great.
This started about 2 weeks ago, when the weather got colder, around 42F overnight.
Batteries are 5 years old and I have them scheduled to be replaced soon.
Also, last year when I was in the mountains at around 6500ft and 25F temps overnight, I couldn't start it. Lots of white smoke, but no fire. I finally did get it started, but it took 45 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I know I'm well overdue for an oil change. And I'm going to Amsoil with their dual filter system.
2000 F250SD 4x4 CC LB SRW, 7.3L, 4" SS Exhaust, K&N Intake Filter, "A" pilar guages, Autometer Trans Temp, EGT, Boost, Amsoil through out, Amsoil 2 stage filter system, Mag-Hytec trans pan & dif cover, Banks Big Head Waste Gate, FactoryTech Valve Body, 315 BFG KOs & Yes I made the 315 spare fit, Rancho 9000 shocks, Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Aux/BU Lights, T/C lock. Next: Fuel System Mods, Max A/C mod.
1975 TLC 2F, H42, 4.88 gears, Power Steering, Shackle Revearsal, Next: SOA, Rear Disc Brake mods
A Scouter Forever.
Bigguy6907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Starts fine, idles fine, but loses power and can stall

Fuel pump maybe? Mine went out at 57K. As I understand the PSD, more fuel means more power. Not enough fuel especially under load...I'd look at the pump first. My .02
2002 F350 SB CC 4x4 63K, LT285/75R-16 A/T Toyos, LS Monotube shocks, matching Leer shell, AFE 2, Walker BTM, AIH delete, Zoodad, TAG 1, Lyntrux bedliner, nerfs, class 5 tow hitch...more to come. Next on the list in order: Gauges, FTVB, TQ and then Jody's tunes-oh yeah!!!
collawash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

it could also be the oil pump or fuel filter

2008 Ford F350 auto CC Lariat 4x4 SRW Crome package

Sold lemon 2008 Ford F350 Auto CC Lariat 4X4

2000 Ford F450 Auto CC Lariat 9' FlatBed BTS Tranny 6.0 cooler 6 pos chip Garret GTP38R Turbo Adrenaline HPOP 410 gears AIS airbox 4" exaust

2000 Ford F250 Auto CC SB 4X4 BTS Tranny KCM S.S. HPX Line AIS airbox 4" exaust 6 pos. BTS Chip

Sold 1999.5 Ford F350 Supercap 6 speed LB DW AIS airbox 4" exaust Turbonetics turbo 6 pos. BTS Preformance chip

Sold 1997 F350 SUPER Cab auto LB Banks Turbo and after cooler
Bobbyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

After I'm on the road for a couple of minutes, I have no more problems. Even when the truck sits all day a work, it starts right up and I'm able to drive it away. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
2000 F250SD 4x4 CC LB SRW, 7.3L, 4" SS Exhaust, K&N Intake Filter, "A" pilar guages, Autometer Trans Temp, EGT, Boost, Amsoil through out, Amsoil 2 stage filter system, Mag-Hytec trans pan & dif cover, Banks Big Head Waste Gate, FactoryTech Valve Body, 315 BFG KOs & Yes I made the 315 spare fit, Rancho 9000 shocks, Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Aux/BU Lights, T/C lock. Next: Fuel System Mods, Max A/C mod.
1975 TLC 2F, H42, 4.88 gears, Power Steering, Shackle Revearsal, Next: SOA, Rear Disc Brake mods
A Scouter Forever.
Bigguy6907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think a similar post with this problem came up before. All of the above recomendations are good. But I think in the previous post someone mentioned checking the oil level. I know is sounds silly, but if there is not enough oil to keep the pressure up, the engine will stall. Just a thought.
jasilvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 03:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Currently got the exact same symptoms on my 1999 F250 SuperDuty. so am very interested in how you get this solved. From my experience, it just keeps getting worse over time:

Additional notes.

a month or two ago I zipped out of my driveway and headed up a 6 degree hill with healthy acceleration. Within about a quarter mile, the engine started losing power (but still running) and within a few seconds it was weakly 'surging' ... barely alive, but just enough power to get it off the road. I let it set for a minute and then started it up; it ran roughly for less than a minute, then ran perfectly for the next hours and days.
Within a week or so, the same thing happened again, same distance from my house, going up hill.
Within weeks of that, it starting happening also going downhill but the problem occured further away (a mile or so).
My initial impression is that some part of the fuel line was draining and that a certain amount of fuel was left in the line (enough for quarter mile uphill and one mile downhill) with air behind that. Once the air got purged, everything was all right until I left the truck sit for at least overnight. In the past few weeks, the problem has worsened to where it goes through 3 or 4 cycles of : starving the fuel line, then recovering within 30 seconds ( often at a very weak idle), then starving again. Once I get through the 3rd or fourth cycle (all happening within 5 minutes of launching off from home) everything runs fine, even when I leave the vehicle off for a few hours.

I will check my oil level today, ... I probably am ready for a fuel filter change too...is there anything to watch out for there in inserting the new filter?

thanks,
paul
ps. where/what is the 'yellow lever' referred to in some postings...used for priming the fuel line. Where is that and what directions to use ? thanks
pwitort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

5 quarts of oil added and the problem is no more ... geez am I embarassed !
thanks to all who suggested this troubleshooting... I just wish I had looked at the oil pressure gauge before I added the oil... I may have missed a low pressure reading... if so, shame on me.

pwitort
pwitort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.