steering wanders - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
steering wanders

Just got new tires on my truck and it's much better than with the bald ones that were on it. But, (there's always one of those, isn't there?) I still have a wandering problem. Seems to drift a bit one way, I correct, then it will drift the other. A really light touch on the wheel helps but the second you relax, off it goes. The steering pump makes some noise but it seems like every Ford I ride in has a noisy pump. Can you adjust the steering box? My Chilton manual doesn't show it. Alignment? Seems like that would just pull one way. Help.
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: steering wanders

Check it out on a road without a crown. Double check tire pressure. Run the tires at 50# front and rear. Unless loaded. Check wheel bearings adj. How much mileage on the new tires? Could switch tires front to back? Is any load unbalanced?( not enough load on the front?) If nothing works get out the wallet. Most likly you will need ball joints and tie rod ends. Got the same truck with only 65 thousand miles and will replace the stock batt. tomorrow.Shop around for a price. Prices are all over the place. Good luck
Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Replaced the only bad tie rod end we could find. Ball joints seemed tight but haven't done a real thorough test. Tires were brand new today, less than 70 miles now. Truck was empty, not pulling anything.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine has had the same problem. After alignment,new tires,new shocks, inspecting tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings etc, fiddling with the steering box preload adjustment, I just gave up and got used to it. The next thing to try after all that would be a steering box from Red Head steering gears. I have heard Red head steering gears make a big difference. I may try that sometime.
early 99 (10/98) f-350 Lariat 4x4 shortbed 4" DDPI exhaust now with 4" downpipe, DP Tuner 4 pos chip (Stock, hi-idle,40 hp tow,80 hp econ) Diablo predator is now nice diagnostic tool [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img],updated pcm from xle4 to PMT1 from dp tuner, Tymar intake, Autometer guages,tru-cool max,external spin-on trans filter
davidkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did you just start fiddling with the steering box farmerdave? Or did you find instructions someplace. I did that on an old '67 Chevy 3/4 ton and helped a bunch - but it four inches of wheel play.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

It sounds like you've verified that the ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, drag link joints, etc are all OK? There is a Ford procedure for tightening the steering box but hardly anybody uses it. If I recall, it required some special tooling.

I went thru the same thing with my truck and about 1/2 turn "tighter" on the steering box allen screw made the truck MUCH easier to drive. My suggestion is to go in 1/8 turn increments and retest each time. Don't get too greedy or you'll accelerate the wear on the gear and could possibly bind things up.

Good Luck!
2002 F350 XLT Supercab 8' Bed, Single Rear Wheel, 6 Speed Trans, Firestone Ride Rites, Superhitch, Tork Lift Camper Tie-Downs, Custom Built Aluminum Headache Rack, Pro-Tech Tool Box, 295/70R17 Toyos on Allieds, Bilsteins, Tuff Country 3.5" Kit, Gauges, Banks PowerPack, AFE intake w/ ProGuard 7
Wiley75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

IMO what you are feeling is caster related or rather lack of caster. Caster is an imaginary line through the ball joints. Basically the more the upper ball joint is leaning rearward, the more straight line stability and return to center the steering wheel will have. Most of our trucks sit waaaaay raked out (rear 3-4" higher). With a load on the truck, the truck will level out AND improve the caster angle. My 350 is a wandering barge with no load... hook up to my trailer and it pulls straight as a train on some tracks.
Tow Slut: '00 F350 CC LB 4X 7.3L, 151k, John Wood Trans, TN 1.0 BB turbo, 6637, BRV, CCV, 5" exhaust, gauges, DP F5 40-120, one seriously bent tailgate, some crap for a 10.5' cabover and towing a rock crawler.
dysfunctional is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for that bit of info dysfunctional, I always wondered why these trucks drive so much better with a load on them!

08 F250 Crew Short 4X4 Job 1 - Got some stuff, tuned by Spartan Diesel Tech

01 F250 4X4 Super Cab - Sold
6" Pro Comp Lift 315 75 16 SuperSwamper SSR's
Built 97 engine, Dynomite BD's, Swamp's Gen III, H2E, Comp 910's, BWD Pushrods, H-11 Headstuds, BTS Tranny, 5" mitre cut stacks.

495/952

Truck Pics
Dyno Numbers
trick76cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

With the last set of tires I bought, my truck also seemed to have that wandering feeling. I even changed my shocks thinking they might have something to do with the problem. It still felt strange driving though. What fixed mine was to get some miles on the tires.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

The caster thing makes sense. Think I'll hook up the trailer and take it for a drag just to check. Wiggled wheel bearings and pry barred the ball joints and there was no movement. Thanks for the tip on going slow on the box. That's what's so great about this board, somebody is bound to know the answers.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

yea,pullingdoublezero, I just started fiddling with the steering box screw, on hindsight probably not the smartest course of action. I ended up geting too tight and the steering got "notchy" in the center and drove worse. There is the danger of the steering actually locking up at that point, and I may have caused extra wear in the end.
Reading here about the castor issue makes a lot of sense, when I pull a trailer mine drives nicer too. Has me thinking about asking my alignment shop about that one.
early 99 (10/98) f-350 Lariat 4x4 shortbed 4" DDPI exhaust now with 4" downpipe, DP Tuner 4 pos chip (Stock, hi-idle,40 hp tow,80 hp econ) Diablo predator is now nice diagnostic tool [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img],updated pcm from xle4 to PMT1 from dp tuner, Tymar intake, Autometer guages,tru-cool max,external spin-on trans filter
davidkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Have you had the toe-in checked. It is very important that it is set on Zero degrees. If you have even a little toe-out it will want to wander on you.
ampride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The caster thing makes sense. Think I'll hook up the trailer and take it for a drag just to check. Wiggled wheel bearings and pry barred the ball joints and there was no movement. Thanks for the tip on going slow on the box. That's what's so great about this board, somebody is bound to know the answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck pulls "straighter" with my trailer hooked up as well. But I believe that is mainly caused by the anti sway/dual cam distrubution bars I use. In my opinion, this is not really a problem by design (as mentioned by others) but rather a problem caused by worn parts, incorrect settings, etc. For example, my truck drove straight as an arrow when it was new. The dreaded "wander" didn't show up until 50,000 miles or so. If this was caused by the way Ford designed it (relative to front/rear ride height, "rake", factory caster alignment settings) I believe it would have done it when new as well.

Let us know what fixes it. Happy new year!
2002 F350 XLT Supercab 8' Bed, Single Rear Wheel, 6 Speed Trans, Firestone Ride Rites, Superhitch, Tork Lift Camper Tie-Downs, Custom Built Aluminum Headache Rack, Pro-Tech Tool Box, 295/70R17 Toyos on Allieds, Bilsteins, Tuff Country 3.5" Kit, Gauges, Banks PowerPack, AFE intake w/ ProGuard 7
Wiley75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.