Steering Wheel Hard While Sitting... 99 F350 Dually 4X4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Wheel Hard While Sitting... 99 F350 Dually 4X4

1999 Ford F350 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Dually PowerStroke Automatic.

While the truck is sitting idleing... the steering wheel is VERY HARD to turn.... in either direction but as the truck is running / driving.... its very easy like it suppose to be...

The powersteering pump seems to be ok... not making any sounds... not leaking fluid....

This got me puzzled...guys... any advice and suggestions? I am lost.
miamidiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via ICQ to MudHog
Re: Steering Wheel Hard While Sitting... 99 F350 Dually 4X4

That's how it is. The P/S pump can't turn the tires like your wanting to do unless your rolling slightly or in gravel, sand, grass, etc.

It's just the nature of the beast. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

'06 F250 FX4 CC SWB
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is the same also I have a 2000 "X" and slowly ive been loosing power steering.

I my brother has a 2000 7.3l 350 dually and his steering has no effort!

so i have come to relize that my gear box or the pump is pooched.

I have also tested my steering components such as ball joints and tie rod but there all good. I had disconnected the pitman arm and jacked the truck up. I could move the tires by hand very easliy but once i connect the pitman arm agian to the gearbox i couldnt move her.(with the tires off the ground and the steering wheel unlocked)

i also have very hard steering and no returnablity.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

very common complaint especially among the people like myself who tow trailers with any kind of weight on them, try to back up a 10k car trailer or gooseneck in a parking lot with the power steering or lack of power steering i should say, had my pump replaced under warranty last summer after complaining about it but the new pump does the same thing, some people report if you change to synthetic fluid it helps ease the problem somewhat and yet some have even went so far as to upgrade the pump to a larger aftermarket unit to solve the issue but i dont feel like having to go through that trouble.......ill just lift weights to build my arms up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
96 f-350 2wd dually powerstroke roach coach 365k BTS tranny,4.10, XLT,alcoa alloys,tymar intake,western diesel downpipe, a/c bypass mod,coolant filter behind front bumper, beans stage 1's,dp tuner 60hp pcm, hx hardline crossover from ITP......

01 f-350 dually powerstroke lariat supercab 61k 4.10 4x4 ESOF, leather, heated seats all the toys i dont need, 4r100,garret ball bearing turbo,tymar intake, ccv redirected out under the truck,magnaflow 4inch tuner exhaust, a/c bypass mod,zoodad mod,autometer cobalt pyro boost and tranny,dp tuner 4program chip,ITP complete regulated return fuel kit,ITP hx crossover hard line,203 t-stat and dieselsite billet t-stat neck, coolant filter,dieselsite high pressure intercooler boots

2009 F-450 dually 6.4 auto 4.30 2wd XLT power pedals,aux cab heater, dual alternators,bostonian catering body,stock everything for now......things to change soon
chris bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Had same problems w/ my 2000. Did all of the above suggestions, none of which did anything to smooth out the power steeering. Turned out to be the ball joints going bad. Replaced all 4, now the steering is as easy as it was originally. When there's no weight on them, they'll act like they're good, when they're not. It's not too bad a DYI job, just takes a little time. Not that expensive, either. Look for the write up that's here in the forum someplace. Makes life much easier. Did one side the hard way and the other the easy way. I'll vote for the easy way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!! Setting her down after the first side, I could tell some difference, and after the 2nd side it was smooth as silk. When you search for ball joints, you'll find the OEM joints are good for about 50k. After that they start to fade.
fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

my friend (a 60 yr old man) is having the same steering problems with his 99 f-350 with all new front end components nothing has fixed the problem yet.
Someone mentioned about a pump upgrade, where do i find that?

is it possible to ad the power assist from the diesel model to the V10.
SPROCKIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPROCKIT View Post
my friend (a 60 yr old man) is having the same steering problems with his 99 f-350 with all new front end components nothing has fixed the problem yet.
Someone mentioned about a pump upgrade, where do i find that?

is it possible to ad the power assist from the diesel model to the V10.
The main issue with the Diesel steering system is that the brake assist is hydraulic using the same pump as the steering. If you applly the brakes while trying to steer, the hydroboost robs most of the power from the steering.

I don't think putting a diesel PS pump on a V10 would do anything, as it's most likely the same pump already. If you're talking about brake assist, on the gassers it's a vacuum booster. I suppose you could put a brake hydroboost on a gasser, but the question would be WHY??
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

just trying to find a solution to the steering problem
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing. It was not the steering system. The ball joints were shot. I replaced them and presto easy stearing
diccou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

ball joints have already been replaced, along with tie rod ends, and everything else steering related
Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

i installed an AGR rock ram on mine. it came with a 99 steering box with fittings tapped into it to control the ram that is connected between the front axle and the tie rod. also comes with a higher output pump. i can now turn the wheel with one finger. it makes backing a trailer much easier. i would not recommend AGR though, there are other companies that sell the same setup.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sooo... you have the setup, you like the setup, but you dont recomend it ?
got any brand names that you do reccomend?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

the agr works well. i had problems with shipping damage (bad packaging) and some leaks. i know there are other companies out there that sell the same type of setup, but i dont have any names.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

well that might have to work for now cause the dealership has had his truck for the last three weeks and done nothing with it and as a land scaper he really needs it

any contact info from ARG?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Pcs makes a realy nice Ram Assist System. I had one on my rockcrawler with 37" tires and you could steer it with your pinky. But if you do a ram assist it will wear out other steering componets faster from the additional forces being applied to them. Trail-Gear Off Road Supply Toyota Jeep Samurai 4x4 Off Road Rock Crawling should have a link to the PCS site.
joey7319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.