stuck oil filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stuck oil filter

completely aggravated now< have been having oil changed at a local quick lube, i had the time so decided to do myself. Bent a strap wrench< read some old posts and tried the whole poke a screwdriver thru it trick and have now broken the handles off of two. Anyone have any other suggestions
99 f-250 7.3 , afe intake , mbrp exhaust, custom red paint w/ black and blue air brush graphics, 315 BFG At on AR wheels, cervinis fiber.ram air hood,custom grill,carbon fiber tail lights BTS auto tranny at 260,000 diprocal gauges< bts 6 pos chip, swamps 175 single shots,new H2e at 300,000
tile man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a filter wrench that is like a set of pliers but the ends are round and have 3 sets of gripping "teeth". It will bite real good on a filter. Looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
stuck oil filter-filterwrench.jpg  
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

i went and purchased one of those as well, after stipping the paint off they finally grabbed but for the life of me i have put all i have into it and the thing still wont break loose.
99 f-250 7.3 , afe intake , mbrp exhaust, custom red paint w/ black and blue air brush graphics, 315 BFG At on AR wheels, cervinis fiber.ram air hood,custom grill,carbon fiber tail lights BTS auto tranny at 260,000 diprocal gauges< bts 6 pos chip, swamps 175 single shots,new H2e at 300,000
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
get a bigger screwdriver & longer so you can grab both ends . use it like a T handle & give it the quickest snap you can. sounds cross threaded, maybe no oil on the seal so it's really grabbing.
1997 F250 HD XLT 4x4 ext cab long box mbrp 4"pipes with 6"tip& 3"downpipe, 410 rear gears, add a leaf on front , rebuilt trans e4od 12"x13"transcooler with a thermostatic fan , TOYO open country AT's 285x78x16 & opened up air box with a k&n filter. 2012 Salem Grand Villa 408reds with 3 slides
dieselsmokerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
I had a similar situation in a shop I worked at in high school. Another tech was stumped - when I finally went over to help, he had been turning it the wrong way. Said he got disoriented by being under the truck???

Anyway, if one bigger screwdriver won't work - I'd put in two or three at different angles and different levels and push on them all at the same time - that way you're less likely to rip the can. If you do destroy the can, peel off the side and bend down part of the filter base. Then put on a set of vice grips to the bent down lip and strike them with a hammer. Lefty loosey....
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Stupid Quick Lubes always tighten them to much. Grab the filter as high up as possible with the wrench, won't crush as easy. 3/4 turn after seal touches is plenty tight.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
i went through this myself, so i know how spittin mad you can get. for me it's best to go sit down(timeout if you will) thats why i do it myself, plus gettin a 5 gal. bucket under the pan without jackin it up.makes it easy & i know it's done wright! but i've never not been able to get the filter off by using my screwdriver it's about a foot long. if you can get a hand on each side & while your'e turning push up because it takes the pressure off the threads.
1997 F250 HD XLT 4x4 ext cab long box mbrp 4"pipes with 6"tip& 3"downpipe, 410 rear gears, add a leaf on front , rebuilt trans e4od 12"x13"transcooler with a thermostatic fan , TOYO open country AT's 285x78x16 & opened up air box with a k&n filter. 2012 Salem Grand Villa 408reds with 3 slides
dieselsmokerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys, and yes I am going the rt way with it. Off work now and out to the garage. Thanks and I will keep you guys posted.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I use these
Channellock 209 Tongue and Groove Oil Filter / PVC Pliers

Flounder

2002 F250 2X4 CC SWB (Wife's) Stock except for AIS filter and Gooseneck Hitch
Flounder_Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use a chain filter wrench. The trick is get the wrench as high up on the filter as possible as the top of the filter is the strongest part.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Here's my weapon of choice for oil filters.

NAPA Strap Wrench

It's used with a 1/2" drive ratchet, or a breaker bar if the filter's really tight.

I've never had any trouble getting a filter off with a 12" long ratchet, but then again, I always oil the filters and put them on hand tight per spec (gasket contact plus 1-1/2 turns, IIRC for the filters I'm using now.)

I have destroyed a couple of filters in the past driving a screwdriver thru them. Actually ripped the can off the gasket end. Wound up notching the gasket end at the rolled edge with a chisel and spinning it off by tapping with a hammer.

Good luck
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

2nd the chain strap wrench use
02 PSD Lariat CC DRW, 4X2, A/T, 4:10, Big Tex grill guard ,115 gal in bed fuel tank (switch on the go) ,5er notched in bed tool box, Reese 5er/gooseneck/bumper hitch, 20K fan powered under cab tranny cooler, AFE intake, Super chip, TC lock up, Gear vendors exhaust brake, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, oil/water/egt/boost/tranny/diff guages, CB radio, Back up camera, Air bags (inside cab control), Mag-hytek tranny/diff pans,, Ram tough computer stand, FS2500 Aux Oil filter, Turbo life saver, Turbo Master wastegate actuator
Fordpowerstroke350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

After a shop visit on another vehicle I had to use two removal tools at one time to get the filter off. It spreads the pressure out a little and if needed a second person can help. It'll be a lot easier for two people under our trucks than under my car! Good luck!!
95 F350, 7.3 PSD, CC, ZF5 speed, 4x4, Dually, Autometer EGT, Boost and Engine Temp Gauges, HPOP and Fuel Pressure Gauges, DP and 4 inch exhaust, Tymar Intake, CPR Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, Intercooled, IDM Mod

85 Ranger, 302, ZF5 speed, Klune-V, Dana 20, Explorer front and rear diffs, 35 inch TSLs, ARBs, Superwinch
95DRW4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Finally got that huzzy off! After 3 broken screwdrivers ,a shatterd strap wrench, a hernia and many veins bulging out of my forehead! Thanks for the help again guys!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
RT

Oh, the joys of doing your own maintenance.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.