Symptoms of bad IPR and ICP sensor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to edub32
Symptoms of bad IPR and ICP sensor

can anyone tell me the symptoms of each and how to trouble shoot? I have the location of the IPR and will be cleaning it tomorrow and is there anyway to tell if the ICP is bad. BTW, my truck sputters about 3 miles after driving it and eventually stalls. might start up and run like crap. barely make it home stalling in the driveway.
- DP Tuner, Tymar intake, 35" BFG Mudders on 16x10 Mickey T's, Superlift 6" lift, DiPricol 3 gauge Pillar, 4" SS DP to 5" sidepipe to 6" Chrome tip, WW, Panasonic Deck with 4xInfinity References, Overboost Elim., CCV
edub32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
I know if you pull the ICP plug and it is covered in oil then it is bad or going bad.
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L PowerStroke Turbo 4x4, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Quick Turbo, Banks Big Head Wastegate, Banks Six Gun Tuner, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, Banks Compressor Wheel, Superlift 6" Suspension (all Springs), FASS Fuel System, Diablo Predator w/ custom Granatelli Program, MAC Cold Air Intake, 37" Procomp XMT on 20" Rims,

2006 Mercedes e320 CDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
and some other toys
rjs82vette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Send a message via AIM to edub32
really need to location of the ICP sensor so i can fix it so if you have a picture/diagram that would be helpful PLEASE chime in
- DP Tuner, Tymar intake, 35" BFG Mudders on 16x10 Mickey T's, Superlift 6" lift, DiPricol 3 gauge Pillar, 4" SS DP to 5" sidepipe to 6" Chrome tip, WW, Panasonic Deck with 4xInfinity References, Overboost Elim., CCV
edub32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub32 View Post
really need to location of the ICP sensor so i can fix it so if you have a picture/diagram that would be helpful PLEASE chime in
Its on the L head ,,next to the lifting ring ,,three wire plug....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
You need to monitor your ICP and IPR Duty Cycle.

450-500 PSI of ICP to start, 550-750 to idle, and should ramp up into the 2,000's when getting on it.

IPR DC should be around 11 or 12% at idle and ramp up as well into the 20's or 30's as you get on it.
Maintain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

hey when i replaced the icp sensor due to a code sayin it was bad i still experienced rough idle symptoms and when i unplug the icp sensor while its still running it will idle fine??

what could this indicate as being bad ?

there was also one more sensor down in the front of the hpop infront of the cooling fan that when itook it out it was filled with sludge dirt like stuff i cleaned it out but there was soo much of it? what do you think this could mean?
05 F 250 XLT extented cab PSD, guages,smoked led tail lights,roof lights, and mirror lights , SCT Xcal 3 innovative X street tune, silver line cool duals, mtx thunderform encolsure with two 10's, alpine deck. 3" rough country lift.

96 F250XLT heavy duty, ext cab, PSD 5-speed, 4:10's/limited slip-so far homemade tymar intake with big filter ,diy stage 1's, ts 6 pos chip, 4 inch turbo back to 5 inch slash cut stacks, pyro and boost guage.reverse glow guages, replaced clutch with a LUK replacement,garmin street pilot, sirius sat radio, Alpine Cd player, Alpine Type R 12" sub, sony xplode amp in custom center console, diamond plate trim and side steps, Visor, bug sheild,
SOLD I sure do miss it !
CapeCodF250PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

That sounds like you Exhaust Backpressure Sensor. It can get plugged and sometimes the tube from the ex. manifold to the sensor gets plugged also.

I replaced my ICP also and my truck runs better when its unplugged. Looking forward to an answer.

12/98, CC, XLT, LB, 4x4, 7.3, 6sp, '06 front end, 4" front springs, Bilsteins, DiPricol Pyro,Boost and Fuel Gauges, 35" Toyo, SouthBend Con-O, 197,000 miles, 4" exhaust, Performance Friction rotors and pads, DP F5 chip, RedHead steering box

BWD Turbonetics .84 Quickspool Turbo/Spearco
EBPV Deleted
Dieselsite BRV+, Intercooler boots
Banks Tubes
Terminator
ITP Reg. Return, Intank, and Delete

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
barnbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

so is there a way to clean it or replace it and the tube the sensor seems like it went in the front of the hpop i looked at this a few weeks ago...

we just replaced a valve cover harness the other night the cleared up the power issues (one of the plugs was undone) but it still has the rough idle... so even though i unplug the icp sensor you still think that the back pressure sensor is plugged?
05 F 250 XLT extented cab PSD, guages,smoked led tail lights,roof lights, and mirror lights , SCT Xcal 3 innovative X street tune, silver line cool duals, mtx thunderform encolsure with two 10's, alpine deck. 3" rough country lift.

96 F250XLT heavy duty, ext cab, PSD 5-speed, 4:10's/limited slip-so far homemade tymar intake with big filter ,diy stage 1's, ts 6 pos chip, 4 inch turbo back to 5 inch slash cut stacks, pyro and boost guage.reverse glow guages, replaced clutch with a LUK replacement,garmin street pilot, sirius sat radio, Alpine Cd player, Alpine Type R 12" sub, sony xplode amp in custom center console, diamond plate trim and side steps, Visor, bug sheild,
SOLD I sure do miss it !
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe we are on different things. EBP sensor is on front of engine between fan and front of block. Is this what you are talking about.

12/98, CC, XLT, LB, 4x4, 7.3, 6sp, '06 front end, 4" front springs, Bilsteins, DiPricol Pyro,Boost and Fuel Gauges, 35" Toyo, SouthBend Con-O, 197,000 miles, 4" exhaust, Performance Friction rotors and pads, DP F5 chip, RedHead steering box

EBPV Deleted
Banks Tubes
Terminator

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

There is a link around here with a pic and labels.

EBPV Deleted
Banks Tubes
Terminator

2008 Hudson 7 ton GN
2002 JCB 212s
2004 A300 Bobcat
Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

yeah i just found it sounds like it could be an issue bec we replaced the icp on the driver side head bec it said it was bad if u unplug the icp it idles smooth how ever we did remove the ebp and looked at it it was completly clogged i just called my freind and i am gunna have him unplug it and let me know if it runs good again it sounds like it could be based on the symptoms i am seeing?

anything else u think might be wrong

thank you very much

SOLD I sure do miss it !
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem. Once the engine warms up I have a rough idle but it smooths out when I disconnect the ICP. I hooked up my programmer and it showed the injector pressure was low at idle once the truck had warmed up. I'm going to replace the IPR this weekend to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work I may try replacing the injector o-rings. Somethings causing the idle pressure to be low - I figure it's either a sticking IPR or o-rings leaking.
2001 X, PSD, 7" DR lift, 37" PJ Dirt Grips, Procomp Extreme Alloy wheels, 4.56 gears, Dynatrac Free-spin hub system, Diablo Predator , Banks 4" exhaust with Power Elbow, Kodiak Sidewinder steps, Autometer guages.
VX23Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

I replaced the IPR. Runs great now.
2001 X, PSD, 7" DR lift, 37" PJ Dirt Grips, Procomp Extreme Alloy wheels, 4.56 gears, Dynatrac Free-spin hub system, Diablo Predator , Banks 4" exhaust with Power Elbow, Kodiak Sidewinder steps, Autometer guages.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

My truck has the same symtoms, idles rough and when unplugging the ICP it smoothes out. I'm waiting on my ICP from ebay but sounds like this may not be the fix. How much $$ is the IPR and where is the best place to purchase?
Quadzilla, WW, 6.0 trans cooler
Mr. Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

I picked up one on ebay (brand new/in box) for about $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.